What is the main cause of depression?

Jamie Rautenberg, LCSW

I'm passionate about helping clients understand emotional experiences & mental chatter do not define who they are. I'm here to guide them through the fog back to themselves.

Spiderman93
i believe the main cause of depression is different for everyone. some people are depressed after loss of a loved one. others after the loss of a job. some dont know what caused their depression. depression can be caused by so many obstacles. are you struggling with depression? if so, have you talked to someone about it? i hope everything is good for you and i wish you the best. :)
nicolehere
There is no main cause of depression. For some it is a chemical imbalance, for others it is a traumatic experience, and for many others, it is something entirely different. Globally more than 350 million people struggle with depression. It is likely that there is someone with the same cause as you somewhere out there but there are also many people with different causes behind their depression
Anonymous
For me, it's a lack of acceptance and love for one's self with a healthy dose of failure being unacceptable. I was told from a very early age that I was a a pile of garbage, fat, ugly, clumsy, the butt of the joke as it were. With parents that ensured my teachers knew this as well, I was conditioned to know I was unlovable. Failures were daily and severe, even if, in reality, I did nothing wrong. The best I ever got was a backhanded compliment. All of this can convince even the strongest person they are not worthy of love, even from themselves. That's depressing. The other side of it is in life we find failure unacceptable, as a society. That's wrong. Some of the biggest successes in our history started with a person that had in their past suffered almost insurmountable failures. Don't be afraid to fail. Success is, in most cases, the product of many failures.
OptimisticOmega
The main cause of depression is lack of serotonin in your brain. Serotonin is the "happy chemical" that balances your mood. Believe it or not, depression is not situational.
Mowgli
Depression has several causes, I don't think we can say there's a main cause, but we can identify three big causes that interact: There's the experiences you have, there's genetics, and there's the support you get. If you had to live bad things, and you don't have chance genetically, you're at risk, but it doens't mean depression is inevitable. Support from people can help you, so being here on 7Cups is something that can help you!
Dreamz
There are definitely many causes of depression. But one main cause could be having nothing to be happy about. Depression is extreme sadness. And when you have nothing to be happy about, depression sets in.
Anonymous
Life events. Traumatic events such as the death or loss of a loved one, financial problems, high stress, or childhood trauma can trigger depression in some people.
leece4loveandlight
Anonymous
the main cause well that depends on alot of stuff but my guess would be stress. its the one common thing all people have in their life but it can be so many things tat cause it
slightlyodd99
It varies from person to person, sometimes it could be a single traumatic event, or a series of unfortunate events that drives someone into depression
Anonymous
There is no specific answer to this questions. Many things cause depression. There is no main cause.
Anonymous
There is no main cause of depression, everybody experiences depression differently, and with different causes. It could be anything- stress, grief, a traumatic experience, e.t.c. Sometimes it doesn't have a cause at all, and that is completely fine! Everybody should feel happy, so if you think you have depression seeking professional help would be a great next step, and can help you identify what caused your depression.
Anonymous
Depression can be the cause if so many little bits and pieces we continue to push aside and it ends up building up inside
Rebecca
There are many different factors that can increase one's chances of experiencing depression, and one may work alone or work in combination with other factors. Some of those factors are genetics, chemical imbalances in the body, one's upbringing, stressful life situations, social isolation, etc. However, everyone's depression is ultimately caused by something different - no two people have the same genetic and biological makeup, experiences or emotional limits. These are just basic factors being listed, and it could very well be that something not listed is a cause of your depression. If you would like to explore what's causing your depression in particular though, or would like to look into treatment options, your best bet is to speak with a medical professional, as we at 7 Cups can't formally diagnose you or determine what is the cause of your depression. You can find therapists in your area by going here: http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/
Anonymous
There are several triggers to it or it could be entirely biological. There is no main cause to it but regardless of what caused it, it is a tough battle to fight.
Anonymous
I don't believe there is any one specific cause for depression. However, I do know that one reason people suffer from depression is because of a chemical imbalance in their brain.
CaringJoy
February 23rd, 2016 7:34pm
There various causes and I think the most common are traumatic experiences that are life changing as well as post traumatic stress.
InvisibleMonster
I dont believe there is a main cause for depression many things can cause depression, traumatic experiences, lack of sun, losing someone or something important, low self confidence just to name a few
Goosette007
I don't believe there is one single cause because people have depression for different reasons. All I know is we here at 7 cups are here to talk whenever anyone needs or would like :)
Anonymous
I would not exactly say there is a 'main' cause, depression is different for everyone, and different things and factors may have caused their depression.
freshLove97
Chemical and hormonal imbalance in the brain. Stress, trauma. Illnesses with thyroid deficiency can also cause depression
Anonymous
There isn't a main cause of depression. Depression can come from many things such as abuse, a major change in your life (having a child, going to college), a major stressor (school, competition, death of someone), or just from nothing at all.
keepingyououtt
I dont think there is a single main cause for depression, it can be triggered by so many different things, alcohol, drugs, death. For me it was the deaths of my grandparents, it hit me really hard as i was close with them. I think that the main cause of depression depends solely on the person if i am honest.
Baileybug
Research tells us that other factors contribute to the onset of depression, including genetics, changes in hormone levels, certain medical conditions, stress, grief or difficult life circumstances
Anonymous
Holding on to things. It could be anything from the smallest fight with your mother to protecting a criminal from the Police.
compassionateFlower22
The causes of depression are different for different people. We are all unique and so are our causes.
KindKat00
Depression can be caused by many things. Divorce, social issues, loss, loneliness, etc. It's important to know that if you're feeling depression tendencies to contact a licensed counselor or therapist.
ifyouknowtocountcountwithme
I would say holding on too much for too long. And the sadness kind of become as a second nature. Sometimes it is genetic if you have parents with some of this problems.
RosesForever
There are so many causes of depression and you can't pinpoint it down to one. Personally, the main root can be a sense of loss, helplessness, loneliness or someone hurting you in an irreparable way. But the thing is, it can be repaired, even though it seems like it's not.
seabubbles16
I think it's mainly a lot of feelings trapped into one and it drives you mad but you can't really do anything about it because it comes back. So sorry if you are having this issue in your life right now. You deserve so much more.