What kind of treatment is available for depression?

Lindsay Scheinerman, MA, LPC

My work with clients is to help them recognize and build on their strengths to find solutions for the conflicts presented in their lives.

openearsforyou
There are countless amounts of treatments depression. Any thing that you enjoy doing that makes you happy is probably the best kind of treatment. If the depression is more severe, one might consider talking with their doctor about anti-depresents.
Anonymous
The main treatment is counseling and medication. But, there are always other choices. Talk to your doctor and see what they think is best for you.
Cadence
There is medication available, but that's more-or-less a last resort kind of thing. There's also therapy, which again is a formal sense of treatment. But in addition to that, treating depression could be as simple as walking your dog around the block daily, to release endorphins, or even exercise when you're feeling down or upset.
Pandette
I feel like this is best answered by either your doctor or your therapist. We here at 7 Cups can not provide you with treatment. However, to give you an idea, medication, self-care, and other methods are available. It's just a matter of finding out what works best for you! :)
Hopewell
Psychotherapy, cognitive reconstructing, changing of thoughts, lifestyle changes, antidepressant drugs
Anonymous
Psychotherapy, medication, a combination of the two.. And in severe cases admission to a hospital for advanced treatment.
redwhispers
There are many treatments available for depression. First off, you should consult a doctor or a psychiatrist to see if it's safe for you to try medication. Counselling and therapy also helps tremendously.
Klynnbelle
Inpatient, outpatient, family based, individual therapy, group therapy, CBT, DBT, elect. therapy. There is a lot of options out there just have to findd the one that works best for you
Natalie101
There are heaps of different treatments for depression. Some are medical - electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) and antidepressents and others are based on therapies. There are art therapies, talk therapies, cognitive behavioural therapy, dialectical behavior therapy and so many more. The best people to talk to about the best treatment for you are doctors, psychiatrists, psychologists and mental health nurses.
Anonymous
The use of SSRI medication is used as a treatment, thought it might infuse darker, suicidal thought because of imbalances in the body. This period usually lasts around two months. It literaly needs to get worse for it to get better. SSRI have other disadvantages aswell, as weightchanges and dizziness. In some parts of the world there is light therapy avaliable to combat SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder), which is a lighter form of depression. Otherwise there are different kinds of therapy forms that can help.
AlwaysJen
There's many different treatment options available for depression. Exercising is a proven treatment method you can do on your own! In addition to that, seeing a mental health counselor is a good option. They can help you find methods to cope with your feelings and work through them. Often, medications will be very helpful as well for treating the physical symptoms of depression. Good luck!
Asparagus515
There are various forms of therapy which are popular and quite effective. There are also many different types of drugs. Lifestyle changes (diet, exercise, sleep) can also really help.
zeiwald
I don't know what it's like in other countries, in Estonia number one treatment is pills! And that's because psychiatrists just don't care, it's easy to write pills although in many cases talking would be the best medication. Also... When I was underaged there were support groups which in my opinion were the most useful things back at that time. Sadly there are no for adults. But I totally reccommend a support group to anyone who is fighting with depression, because depression has a lot to do with feeling alone, separated and being misunderstood. That's why I loved those groups - you were with people who did understand and knew what you were going through.
ImNidhi
As depression are mostly the result of errorneus cognitions and emotions, so the focus is given to changing that thinking patterns of depressed individuals. For depression, there are different psychotherapies available such as cognitive therapy, rational emotive behavioral therapy or cognitive behaviour therapy. Your psychologist will decide what to opt with your consultation and prior knowledge.
FlickeringCandle
There are 2 types: drugs and therapy. Both have their supporters. I personally prefer meds; however, that is my own expirience.
JulieAliH
The most common forms of treatment are therapy and anti-depressants, which often go hand in hand. Anti-depressants might seem scary as they do have side effects, but their primary purpose is to reinstate a balance in the chemicals in your brain. Therapy might often seem scary or awkward as well, but you have to remember that though they may be trained professionals, they are also human beings who are there to help.
LeeleeRose
Inpatient, outpatient, intensive outpatient, and also many support groups that can support and connect you with others who have depression.
Mel
Psychological treatments for depression for example are, Cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT), Interpersonal therapy (IPT), Behaviour therapy, Mindfulness based cognitive therapy (MBCT). Medical treatments for depression are antidepressants.
CrimsonRising
Treatment for depression can include support groups or, most commonly, CBT therapy! CBT focuses on how thoughts, behaviors and feelings relate to each other.
kristinaa
There are many different anti depressants out there that are chosen based on your needs, also counselling and psychologist sessions can be beneficial in treating depression!
guyinasuit
There are two main types: Therapy/CBT or antidepressants. Neither of them will always work for everyone, it is a case of trying and testing what works for you.
mysteriousWillow50
Treatments for depression vary, as it depends on the source of the depression. Such as a chemical imbalance--that is physically oriented, but say a traumatic life event is more situational oriented. With that, going to a doctor would be the wisest choice, simply because a diagnosis and finding out the root cause helps one get the best course of action to ensure the depression is being treated.
TalkingIsTheBestMedicine
There are may treatments available for depression ranging from talking to drugs for more serious chronic cases. Drugs should be an absolute last resort as, many cases, solutions can be found by working through the issues. Using any form of therapy takes time and, to the extent that it is possible to do, you should try to endure the situation for long enough to see if things get better. Any time that there are suicidal or self-haring thoughts needs more serious professional attention.
Anonymous
Depression treatment has a wide rang of stuff. You can do yoga, meditation, Medical, DBT, CBT, WMR, and WRAP as education tools to learn to change the thanking row.
BlueOcean10
Psychoactive medication may help treat depression as well as Therapy. Cognitive-Behavioral based Therapy is a good source for depression.
Anonymous
becoming self aware and learning what feels good, what makes you happy and what things you should avoid. Its about finding tools to help you manage the depression. Takes antidepressants helps but not the only solution.
Anonymous
There are helplines available for depression sufferers as well as medication that can be offered and prescribed by doctors
BrokenTeaCup
There is therapy, and inpatient treatment. Also if it's bad enough there are many medications out there and it can be trial and error.
FatPony
I do guided meditations following the Stop, Breathe and Think app. It asks my body & mind state and I can choose to identify 5 emotions I feel in that moment. The app proposes a meditation but I can choose another one if I want. It tracks the activity and I earn cute illustrated stickers to keep me motivated!
Oreo
Depending on the type of depression, a professional psychiatrist might prescribe different treatments. The ones available in my country are talk therapy, pet therapy, medication. I've taken medication and have found it to be very effective.