What should I do if I am feeling suicidal, but don't want to tell anyone?

Portugal

Jennifer Patterson, LMFT, ATR-BC

Art Therapist

Life can be messy. Sometimes you need a little support to make your way through it. I love to help guide people through their challenges & to find the beauty in our messes.

4leaveclover
When I feel suicidal and don't want to tell anyone, I should sort out my problems first. Then after I see what my problem is, I can find ways that I can solve it.
moonchild29
I know this isn't a usual suggestion, but.. look at your childhood photos. Look at you when you were a baby, a small kid running around. Do you want to kill that innocent child? Look at how much you've grown. Look at your family. Look at you. Don't do that to yourself.
kindsoul129
It's important you reach out in whatever way you can at this difficult time. Sometimes it's more difficult to reach out to friends or loved ones but there are numbers you can call and talk to someone anonymously if that is easier. If it is hard to talk or you can't find the words perhaps you could text or email or even write down how much you are struggling and show your doctor. Seeking help from a qualified therapist can also help a lot to work through your feelings. If you absolutely cannot tell anyone or reach out for help there are self help books you might try, looking into how you might be able to show yourself self compassion and forgiveness may also help, as may simple things like meditation, mindfulness and going for a walk. I would urge you to seek help as soon as you are able, there are people who can help and who understand.
Anonymous
For me, it got worse when I didn't tell anyone about how I felt; I would begin to hate myself even more, and I would keep it all in. We should not hate ourselves, but unfortunately and truthfully, we do. I didn't want to tell my parents because they were part of the reason I felt the way you did and second, I thought they would put it aside as a joke or be concerned enough that they would think of me differently. One day, I told my closest friend that I was feeling suicidal, and she was surprised because I never showed any signs of depression or suicidal thoughts to her before. She did not push me or try to get information out of me or tell other people; she listened, and she heard what I had to say. I'm glad that there was someone like her who could listen to me like that: quiet yet attentive. If you feel that there are not people near you who are able to do that, who would talk over you, then I'm grateful you came to this website because the listeners are here to, well I guess, listen. So if you need someone to talk to and you aren't ready to tell anyone close to you, then I would suggest maybe first talking ot a listener here. I wish you luck.
Anonymous
It sounds like you are going through such a tough time. It's more than difficult to keep going with such thoughts, let alone to actually talk about it. But you have to, believe me. You have to say it to someone you trust, a person who wouldn't criticize you. Not all people understand our thoughts and feelings, but believe me, there are people who are willing to understand and help, even if that sounds like a lie. Remember, you are NOT alone. Don't let yourself lift such a heavy weight all alone! If you trap these feelings inside, they'll gain more and more power. Don't go through it all alone, please. It's not something you can deal with alone. You are strong enough to speak up! I believe in you!
Anonymous
Telling someone you're feeling suicidal is very difficult. However, telling someone is the best thing you can do as you will realize you are not alone and there are people willing to fight for you. Ensure that the person you tell is caring and understanding.
Ancsi98
March 2nd, 2017 10:07pm
You shouldn't keep it in yourself. Because the emotions are really powerful. But if you don't want to tell anyone, try to write a diary. You don't tell it actually, but you write it to yourself. Your feelings, your thougths.
rainstormsgetyouclean
Ensure that you are safe and not near any potentially dangerous objects. Do something to take care of yourself, like taking a shower, or eating something. Do at least one thing that you love (such as listening to music or playing with an animal). Once you are ready, find a trusted adult (a parent/guardian, sibling, other family member, teacher, etc.) and tell them how you feel and what's going on.
BloomingSakura
That is seriously a complicated feeling. I would suggest for you to call the suicidal hotline. In the hotline,you can tell anything about your suicidal condition and your privacy is secured so you don't have to worry that anyone else will know about it,
Anonymous
The best thing to do is always to tell someone who can help you. Maybe you should focus on trying to open up to the people around you and let them know what's going on so that they know how to help. But if you really don't want to tell, you can try to list all of the things in your life that are worth staying for. Include people and reasons that seem very far fetched. Every little thing helps.
AlexisSky
Suicidal thoughts and feelings are difficult to experience and find a way out. It is best to seek professional help in those situations. Though it may be hard to tell others, find someone who you trust such as a parent or teacher. They will get you help.
cherryblossoms1000
When you share your pain, it eases, even if I know that you may not be able to believe it right now. When you let that words come out, they can feel like they slowly disappear. Talking to people you know can be very uncomfortable when those feelings shows up. Maybe it would be easier to talk to a therapist, but I beg you, seek all the help you need.
TiffanyLauren
What I do is I login here and talk my feelings out to a listener without telling that I feel suicidal. Somehow I want to feel stupid of even thinking of committing suicide so I would stop thinking about it and face a problem that I would think that is likely solvable like the most difficult differential equation in my book.
Anonymous
April 22nd, 2017 1:25am
One in a billion. “If you dont know learn how to be scared, you'll never really learn how to be brave.” If you're planning on dying already, why not take the chance on living?And get treatment. It'll be better overall. because you're starting college soon it's okay. Your school may have free counseling, but the most important thing is to live. What exactly is making you depressed?Its not too late. You haven't failed. You said you are about to start school so I am guessing you are younger. You are about to start a new chapter in your life. You may look back on it with sadness or with the wisdom of years. If you are sick of medicine there are other options be it other medicines or other treatment. Your life is on the brink of beginning.
PaytonGlover
Based on personal experience, I turned to religion and arts to express my emotions because my family is not very supportive and its hard to explain also with my peers. Therefore, arts and religion, any religion that would give good insight of the future and influence my perspectives.
Loki1216
This is gonna sound super cliché, but tell someone! Even if it's a stranger online (7cups anyone?) Because it could be the difference between you staying alive, and you making that choice to end things. Find someone who's understanding, call the prevention hotline if you feel you're in that desperate need of help. But talk to someone, reach out, and maybe someone will reach back. I know its hard dealing with those thoughts, but you can get through it, but you can't do it alone.
Anonymous
If you are feeling suicidal it is important to speak out. If you are not comfortable speaking about this to anybody in person (which is understandable) You always have the option to speak to somebody over a phone call or ever over an online chat. Even though 7 Cups cannot offer this service, there are a number of websites and hotlines that do. Here is one that is international: www.suicide.org Remember, it is important to speak up :) You are worth living and worth a voice. This is why we have services to support people (and there are many so you are never alone) who feel suicidal or who are thinking about suicide. Be safe and good luck
Anonymous
Silence is deadly and telling someone can save your life. It is important to find an outlet you are comfortabel with, either talking on the phone, in person or online. Even if you don't tell anyone why you're sucidal at least tell that you are
Fireweed
I keep a journal - it may be a notebook or an app - and writing down how youre currently feeling. I would also make myself occupied by taking a walk, watching happy/comedy movies or other funny random stuff on the internet like cute animals acting silly :)
sweetSnow90
Write your thoughts and feelings down. Remove temptations, make it harder for you to take action upon your thoughts. Distract yourself with your senses. Focus on just getting through the next minute. Look for reasons to live. Remember that suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary situation (even if the situation often repeats itself). Reach out in any way you are able.
crispNight40
If you are having suicidal thoughts, you NEED to talk to someone, preferably an expert healthcare professional. Everyone who has ever lived will die someday. There's no rush. 94% of people who attempt suicide and survive don't try again, so you owe it to yourself so seek help. Whatever is making you want to hide or go away or simply not be can be fixed, or changed, or you can gain a new perspective on things, but if you commit suicide, all of that potential is gone forever.
oncewasastruggler
Bottling things up causes people to react even more dangerously when the pressure on the cap has been far too much. Get help sooner than later! Things such as these can be prevented if you catch them early on.
sunnyIceCream95
I should seek professional help and if that's not in my reach i should tell someone close who can help me.
Anonymous
The best thing to do is distract yourself, get rid of the stuff you could do it with, try and build the courage up to go and tell some one like in the UK childline or Samaritans but tell a adult you trust.
Rosalita
Call an help or support line. The first step is telling someone, or anonymously calling a helpline. Please try to do this for your own safety.
Laubfrosch
There was a time long ago when I felt the same. It was my rescue that I told it a doctor and was helped by professionals. It's important to search immediately professional help. They can bring you back on track. They can put off that dark sunglasses that you look through. Life is beautiful and really wonderful. And soon you can see that again. Please consult professional help. Have a nice day. Good thoughts and a beloved smile for you from Germany.
Anonymous
Most importantly, don't allow the suicidal thoughts to overwhelm you and make you do something regretful. There are ways to seek help for these thoughts without family or friends knowing, as it is a very hard subject to talk about openly. There are websites such as this one where you can talk about your thoughts freely and find understanding about them. The important thing is to figure out why you have these thoughts.
Drusilla451
I have given this answer for a lot of things but I have seen the benefits of meditation. It gives you that 'mental break' from your obsessive thoughts, what ever they are about. It is the mental equivalent of a huge deep breath to calm your thoughts and get control again, to stop the spiralling out of control thoughts.
Anonymous
A great thing to do if you're feeling suicidal is to call a hotline. You don't even have to call, as most of the hotlines you can text. I know this is the last thing you want to hear right now, but please tell someone. It can help you so much.
Turbokiddo
I know it's hard to open up to people when it comes to such a delicate matter, it isn't easy to just put ourselves and our feelings out there but in this case you must push yourself a little and do it, reach out for help, if you ever feel depressed, suicidal and overall like it's all too much to bear please don't be afraid to ask for help and tell someone how you're feeling, it won't be easy but it's necessary because you need and deserve to be helped and cared for, you won't be judged and you won't be in any sort of danger for doing so, you'll be saving yourself and it only shows how strong and willing you are to better yourself.