What to do when you're lonely and depressed?

Kristin Noyes, MSW, LCSW

Depression and anxiety can feel overwhelming even on the best of days. I believe in helping clients understand these disorders and help them to reduce and manage symptoms.

Anonymous
I watch a happy movie, most likely a Disney movie or a movie meant for children. Bake cookies or sit outside for a few minutes.
summernightdaze
Always know that you have a support system out there, and that if you want to talk to someone, you can. It's important to not bottle up your feelings, so be sure to let them out, whether it's through talking or simply writing them down. Listening to more upbeat music, or going on a walk can help.
DG943
When I am feeling lonely or depressed, I will go down to my kitchen, make a cup of coffee and read a good book.
tusharbansal
I just do things that i love ;) well i do love to code and help people so that is why I`m here at 7cups ;)
Anonymous
If you're lonely and upset. Listen to some music. I love jazz and I'm a music head. I find these that I like. I will force myself to socialise.
Anonymous
If you're lonely and depressed, you all come here; on this site. You'll get much help here. :)
Anonymous
Try to listen to music.. Distract yourself. It helps us cope. Also, set up routines and work accordingly.. It helps us get through the depression phase.
Anonymous
I listen to happy music, I phone a friend or I enter on social media and talk to strangers. Sometimes I read a book, so I can put myself into a character's shoes and imagine what they would do if they were in my situation.
MajesticTurtle
Think of all the happiest things in the world, and think of them as wings. So that you can soar above the clouds freely.
healingSnowflake51
If you're lonely maybe try and find someone to talk to and if you can't maybe do something that distracts you and makes you feel slightly better like playing an instrument, a sport or cooking and if you can't do these thing already you Amy want to learn
Anonymous
I meditate! I'm a strong believer in centering yourself on the here and now when times get really tough. On my worst days, I've found myself on a yoga mat.
Anonymous
You cant really "do" anything but to try an distract yourself. Depression doesn't go away in 3 seconds, it holds on and it's there. You just need someone who will distract you if you want to temporarily feel better.
Anonymous
I draw. And listen to music or talk to my friends.... it's good to talk to friends cause they help.
sereneShoulder38
I open Calm app and meditate until my body is relaxed, then I think about friends and family, fun times and daredevil moments, relaxing walks and serene chats. :)
Alinium
music. reading, writing, painting. just ponder and let all the emotions wash over. anything as long as it includes acceptance of myself. oh, and definitely just going out for a walk and look for what makes life beautiful
HeatherJ1424
From personal experience the best thing to do when feeling low or depressed is turning to close family and friends, people that you trust. Another can be doing little things that you enjoy such as playing a game, reading, going for a walk, listening to music. Writing down how you feel and why you feel like this can help because you're reflecting on how you became so depressed and lonely. Make goals and achievements you would like to do in life and start by completing a little goal. If depression gets that bad one of your goals for the day could be to listen to music or to get out the house for an hour even if it is just going for a little walk. If it becomes severely bad then seek help from a doctor or turn to someone who can help like on here if you feel you don't have anyone.
Anonymous
Call anyone close - family, friends - and chat.
Anonymous
When i felt lonely and depressed i used to keep my self busy. I won't even give a space in my brain to let myself down.
lindaeu
Try find activities to keep your minds busy, such as: sport, listen music, reading books, meeting friends
SomberAve04
I place my headphones on, cancel out the society around me, and listen to the music of my own world. I focus on that world, that palace in my head. Nothing's perfect, I'm not perfect. But just to focus on my life, my music tells me that No matter if I'm lonely or depressed, it will heal. Someday, It will get better. And when the music ends, and the days over. The somber feeling of sleep overtakes me. And then, when I wake up, It's a new day. My story has refreshed and began anew. The music will start again and so will my story.