What to say to someone who is depressed?

Meredith Seltzer, LPC

The therapeutic relationship can assist you in accomplishing your goals and clarifying your wants and needs. As a skilled counselor and therapist I will help you along the way

helpfulunicat
Never tell them it will be okay, because it may not. But let them know that you are here for them, and that is is okay to not be okay. Let them know that there are ways to learn to manage it, and if they ever need anyone you will be there. Tell them you love them and them being depressed doesn't change it because theyre not their disorder
Anonymous
I know it may look incredibly bleak for you right now. These feelings are only temporary and I'll be right there with you. It’s you and me against the depression, and we will win.
Anonymous
That person needs to know that you will be there for them 100% even if it just means you're just there for them to talk to
kindStar83
When someone is dealing with depression, it's hard to truly understand what they are going through. While many people experience depression, each and every person's experience will be different just like their journey to recovery. The best thing to say is not that you understand, but that you are there for them. I can promise you that it will mean the world to that person.
Piglett
I find a good, warm hug often makes me feel a lot better (if the person likes hugs), then followed by "what's on your mind?", "is there anything you'd like to talk about?", "how are you REALLY going?" . I don't know... Usually it's difficult to really relate to the person, so the hug is just a non-verbal way of saying "I'm here, and I care about you", which is what is really important I think.
JoyfulHeart822
Tell them that it's a real emotion and that it's not in their head. Sometimes validating what they're feeling is the best thing you can do. Offer to help them get through the rough patch they're in however you can and if they struggle, tell them that you understand it won't be easy, but that you know they can do it.
LemonSea
Show compassion. Listen. Be kind and understanding. Never try and force someone to 'get better' and be patient wherever possible.
Anonymous
Sometimes company is the best medicine for someone that is depressed. Showing that you care and will always be there for them is a wonderful way to express this. Always lend a ear to listen to what they have to say, this will help them feel important and heard.
Anonymous
You firstly have to try and understand their situation and their current feelings. The best thing to do is comfort them and be supportive. Make sure they know they aren't alone and you're willing to be with them the whole journey. Your friendship is going to be something they rely on and value. It isn't really about what you "say" to them, it's more or less how much you stand beside them and help them through it.
JasonT
You don't actually have to say anything. You just need to make sure they know they aren't alone. Be there for them when they need you - comfort them.
RaveRae
Well, please don't give them spiels about 'others have it worse.' Usually telling someone with depression that they can count on you to listen to their cries is enough.
MosesSupposes
"Hey, hang in there. There will always be someone who loves you tremendously, it might even be someone whom you didn't really expect to be- but there will always be someone. You might not believe me for now, sure, but as a hero once said, 'Believe in me who believes in you'"
Zeprider98
I'd say that it's nothing to feel embarrassed or ashamed by. Millions of people go through it. I'd say that even if you think no one understands what you're going through, lots of people do. I'd say that they shouldn't be afraid to reach out and ask for help
Ryannn03
I only know this from personal experience, but when I was depressed, what brought me out was thinking about all the things that were worth living for, like the activities that I enjoyed and the people I cared about. Also knowing that other people care about you helps a whole heap.
kittyspy
It will get better. Sadness doesn't last forever. This is your journey to figure out though because I can't help you every step of the way, but it will be okay.
IoanaAdriana
You could say something in the line of: - I'm here for you. - You're not alone. - This is not your fault. - What kind of thoughts are you having? And sometimes is better to say nothing at all, but be there for them, listen and be empathetic.
moonchild29
Your depression doesn't define you. You're more than that. You're better. You can go through that and survive.
Anonymous
You don't really need to say much but hello. If they are your friend ...give them a hug. If they are your spouse ...treat them like king or queen and give them a hug. The power of hugs is amazing.
Anonymous
Always let them know that your there for them always and too reassure them that everything will be better in time
HopieRemi
You should let them know that what they are feeling is normal and understandable. You should let them know that what they are thinking at the moment isn't forever. Their thoughts are corrupted by the cloud of depression but it is treatable. Basically, you should be there for them and not push anything on them
Anonymous
You really cannot say much to a depressed person. They are usually so deep in their own problems, that anything you say will anger them. Just be there for them, if they wish to talk. Take care.
WorkInProgress11
There is not much that you can say to someone to "cure" them, but mostly, it's just helpful for them to hear that you care about them and that you're here for them. Don't try to fix them or solve their problems or try too hard to cheer them up or negate their feelings. Just tell them that you're sorry they're having a hard time, but you love them and you're here to listen and help in whatever way they need. Sometimes just knowing someone is listening and cares can help.
ElizabethLovesYou
People who are depressed can be very deaf to positivity. Yet, try to support them as much as possible! Help them with things that make them happy. For a person who is depressed, the smallest gestures can mean so much more than you think. Don't give them useless advice ('why don't you just try to be happier?') - in fact, refrain from advice alltogether. Tell them positive things. Tell them what you like about them, talk to them about things that cheer them up and make them happy. Ask them how they are doing. That might be all they need.
Anonymous
say nothing, just be with the person. listen to the problems and give them a big hug. avoid giving advises coz they will feel resistance, just need someone to be there...
Understandinggirl1990
When someone is depressed it is important that you stick by them no matter what. You can't assume that they have other friends helping them out. Just be a friend and listen to them. This can get exhausting so you have to make sure that you take care of yourself as well. If things get to be too much you can always help your friend find a therapist.
saddandelion22
June 2nd, 2016 3:07am
Depression is hard to deal with and to overcome. The best thing is to just be there for them, give them support, let them know you can talk to them, and constantly remind them that it's okay to be sad but eventually things will get better.
FireLine110
June 2nd, 2016 7:00am
Things like "I believe in you" and "You'll be okay, this is just another bad thing, I know you can push through this" are usually appreciated but it really depends on the person
LucyInTheSky
This question is a bit vague, but I would say that the best thing you can do for someone is depressed is just to be there to listen. Letting them know that you are available and willing to listen, because not everyone needs to be told they are depressed or what they could/should be doing. If they ask you directly for advice, you can always point them in the direction of a professional but I would say that most of the time, they just want someone to listen without judgement.
J4nne
Sometimes just being there for someone is enough. If you don't know what to say then ask them if there is anything that person wants you to do for him/her. If you don't understand the situation to why someone is feeling depressed then ask him/her questions to help you understand. Make clear that even though you don't understand the way they are feeling, you are not judging them for their actions/behavior,feelings or thoughts.
AnAvacodo
If you have a friend or family member struggling with depression, the main thing is to make sure that they know you are there for them. Just support them and don't make them feel like their depression is their fault or a burden on others. I hope this helps :)