What to say to someone who is depressed?

Meredith Seltzer, LPC

The therapeutic relationship can assist you in accomplishing your goals and clarifying your wants and needs. As a skilled counselor and therapist I will help you along the way

BlueRaspberries77
Make sure they know you are there for them whatever the problem, try to learn by their expressions how they feel, and when they are sad make sure you know it, never tell them they are over reacting or they might feel as if you don't care,
StormyAngles18
You can never know the right thing to say to someone who is depressed. The only things that can possibly help is comforting them with encouraging words or telling them how much they mean to you. You could send them special notes or cards of how much you love and care for them if they are someone close to you.
ratboi
the best thing you can do is let them know you're there for them. it is an illness, so sometimes it can be hard to help, but being there for the person and showing them support can help a lot more than you'd think. remind them that they're valid.
LittleBecky
The thing we all want to know the most is that someone is there for us and that we can rely on them. We all need to know that we aren't alone, and if they tell you the reason for being depressed, don't tell them you understand unless you do. Make sure they know that you're there for them and that even though you don't completely understand the issue, you'll be there for them.
beautifulWaterfall35
This too shall pass. Do the next right thing, whether it be to take a nice bath or make a nice cup of tea and ask yourself can I survive the next 5 minutes?
CuteWoolyWool
Just be supportive of them and yet try to be genuine, You don't have to force yourself to say things, but if they're someone you care about, just be there when they need you.
YourePerfect
These 'I know how you feel' and 'You should do this and that' not gonna work for sure. You just be supportive and encouraging when they reach out to you.
Anonymous
Pointing out their strengths amidst the struggle. That I, for one, support and care for them and see good in them.
Anonymous
There is no specific words to say to someone who is depressed! The best that you can do is to be there for them, talk to them, and try to understand them.
delightfulOasis62
First, you should say to them you're here for them. That they are important for you, and that you care a lot about them. But, never tell them their problems are small, or compare their depression with other persons' one, it will makes them feel less worthy, and guilty.
bestFriend54
Ive been through depression and I've found that everyday, try to count ten things throughout the day that make you smile, it really helped me.
MaddyN
Express your empathy towards them, often people who are depressed feel abandoned or feel like a burden to others. When you show that you care about them and you're here for them, it makes them feel more loved and accepted. All they want is to be accepted and not have their emotions belittled.
Anonymous
You have every right to feel bad, do not underestimate your pain. You will get through this eventually and I'll be by your side.
Fairygirl1998
Always remind them that they are important and that they are loved and never alone. Even if their brain is telling them otherwise, it is so important to let them know how much they matter.
StayPawsitive
Depressed people can be hard to talk to but one thing you can say to them is that even though they don't think so, someone always loves and cares for them. Try telling them about 7 cups and also try to relate to them the best you can ♡
Anonymous
Be nice, be caring, and be gentle. They don't need pity, they need someone to be there for them, they need support.
Anonymous
There is hope for them and that there are people around them who truly love and care for them no matter what.
amisfit
Actions speaker louder than words, show that you care
helpfulsam99
Unfortunately, there is no magic phrase to help a depressed person. In fact, I'd suggest not saying much at all- just make it clear you care about them and that they're important and loved. More important than saying something to the person is listening to them. Be someone they can talk and vent to. Respect their feelings and let them keep the conversation at a pace they are comfortable with.
Hail3yb
No matter what you are going through, I am always here for you anytime you would like to talk to me!
Anonymous
You can't say much. You just have to make the atmosphere comfortable enough so they open up to you. Let them know you're there for them, no matter what. DO NOT force them to speak, that will just make it more difficult for them. Depression is like quicksand, it drowns the person and keeps them stuck, words are literally useless when it comes to helping a depressed person. Just be there for them.
NumberEleven
I'm sorry that you're feeling that way, and I might not be able to help but I'll just be here for you as much as I can. I love you and together we can get through this.
fancyLake23
For someone who is depressed all i want to say and keep saying is "This too shall pass". This is just a phase of life, where you might experience it, and this shall not last forever. Self belief can overcome it and you dont need any external force. Keep saying this you are stronger than what you think you are and that you need nothing/no body to make this happen.
Anonymous
Tell them that you are here for them no matter what and if they ever want to talk about anything you'll be by their side.
dancingCloud41
That its OK let them talk and don't judge them depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain not a sign of weakness
Leo66
When talking to someone with depression, it is very important to keep in mind that this person's problems may not seem that bad to you, but they surely are for them. As someone with chronic depression, I know that having your pain acknowledged is relieving; it is the very first step. Do not minimize someone's problems, but rather try to understand how they affect this person. Keeping all these things in mind, what to say simply comes out naturally. Sometimes, only support, or a listening ear is needed. A simple "that sounds really frustrating, I'm sorry", or "I'm here for you" can make a difference.
rarezas
Tell them that you'll be there to listen and help them through whatever they may be going through. Sometimes we just need the lending ear of a friend.
Anonymous
Well there isn't specific thing that you can say. If you want to help the person, you should simply ask them about their depression if they're willing to talk, and try to help them. Maybe indirectly if you want. Be nice to that person and don't judge them, Try to help them and be their friend.
RideaRainbow
This isnt the easiest of situations sometimes i feel i just aint able to reach out to them but with some i do strike a cord and i am able to move forward ........
Anonymous
I know this is cliche, but things do get better. You might lose some people in life but you will also gain people in life. Stay strong.