What to say to someone who is depressed?

Meredith Seltzer, LPC

The therapeutic relationship can assist you in accomplishing your goals and clarifying your wants and needs. As a skilled counselor and therapist I will help you along the way

Anonymous
Tell them that you're there for them, no matter what. You mustn't get annoyed or angry at them because of how they feel. They can't help it. You don't have to say anything at all, just let them know you're there for them if they need you.
Anonymous
You will always be there for them no matter what...
Anonymous
One thing you can do is try to give them company and make sure they don't feel alone, uncared for or unimportant
Anonymous
The best thing that you can say to someone with depression is just listening. Perhaps ask them if they want to talk about what is going on and if they do, Then you should simply just listen to what they have to say and maybe tell them that you understand.
susannorth99
The first thing to understand about depression is that you can't just snap out of it. Don't assume that they have the ability to just be happy. For a person with depression this is counterproductive. They may feel that there is something ' wrong ' with themselves. Tell them that you'll always be there for them, and that they can always talk to you. Suggest that they visit a professional as well.
Frizzkitty
Don't point out the fact they're depressed just ask if anything is wrong or something like that try acting more casual than concerned but make sure they know in the end you really are worried but don't push it on them
Anonymous
Well, first you should know, don't EVER try to pry at someone/nag them about talking to you. If they don't want to talk about something, let it be for now. You want to make them feel as though you really care, so start off with "Hey, want to tell me what's wrong?" Or something along the lines of that. Also, just listen to what they have to say. Show them that you're there for them no matter what and that you actually care.
Anonymous
There is no specific thing to say -- you just have to be kind and not judgemental towards them. Be patient.
Anonymous
Depression is very tough. It makes us feel hopeless and helpless. If someone you know is depressed you should try give them emotional support, give them hope and help during these tough times. Not necessarily solve their problems, but at least by on their side, say soothing things such as "I'm here for you. I'm your friend" or "I'm very sorry you're going through this. But everything is going to be okay in the end, you just need to endure for a while longer. Until that day comes, you can always count on me to talk about what's bothering you or even ask for help." yeah just say something nice and soothing, there isn't much to it.
Dandeliondude
Don't let your depression define you, it is a part of you right now but over the course of time you will beat it!
Anonymous
I know it doesn't seem like it now but it will get better and people love you and are there for you. Seek professional help if you need it
NymphadoraTonks22
There is always a light. You need to force yourself to get up and surround yourself with positive people and positive thinkig It might seem hard in first day. And the next one, but you'll get trough it
Anonymous
One day you'll look back and see it as just a small chapter of your life.
verboseIcarus42
People who are depressed need encouragement. Tell them you're here and support them no matter what.
ari88
Tell them that you care for them and your here. Real, sincere "being there" for someone will be able to be seen easily and even if they don't say so, they appreciate it more than you know. If your not good with this, study up on what to do and tell them to get help if they need it.
Ceci26
Sometimes it is better not to say a word. Stay around that person, make he/she feel supported, do not leave him/her, because he/she needs you a lot.
Link22
Try to be understanding. Try to see what it would be like to be in their shoes. Say things like. :oh that sucks Or I'm sorry. Or that must be hard. And give them support.
Anonymous
No specific you need to say, just be kind and caring. Be empathetic. Think about how you would like people to treat you if you were depressed.
Halogen
We are not on this earth to see through one another, but to see one another through. You do matter, my friend and let me help you!
Anonymous
May 23rd, 2016 7:40am
you just have to try to help them feel better about themselves
HereToHelpYou742
tell them you are there for them whenever they need you, and ready to listen and help. Don't tell them to snap-out of it. They are more than just a mild sadness.
Euphrosyne
Remind them that you're there and they can talk to you if they want to, but never try to force someone with depression to tell you what they feel. Even small things like "I care about you," "You're not wrong in feeling this way" "It's not your fault, nobody blames you", and other things that show empathy and respect towards them will make a depressed person's day.
GoLobster
Tell them that life is not worth being sad, they have such a bright future but they need to see it, show them how lucky our lives are to be here, I mean we are perfectly angled to the sun to not burn up and not freeze, and they were born in a generation where "Anything is possible" became actually possible and is basically done
annoyingvegansupport
Try to be respectful, show compassion and remember that you cannot always control your actions so be forgiving and supportive,
calmRose33
let them know that its okay for them to feel the way they feel but remind them that you are always there for them its not easy but easier when you have support behind you
Anonymous
Just be there for them, there isn't a specific thing that can always help, but making sure they know that you're there for them is always important
Vaux
You have to show them that you support them and that you are there for them. The best thing to say is that you are here to support and listen to them.
Anonymous
I'm here, you aren't alone and you're loved. You can tell me anything what's bugging you. I won't tell anyone.
TeenWolf
Hey friend don't feel down life is full of fun adventures :) just remember to stay strong and be all you can be
xxaspietransstephxx
Aww that must be hard being depressed its not goodaybe you could talkk to your dr and get professional help