What's the best way to get over loneliness?

Lindsay Simon, LMFT

I work from a holistic perspective to help my clients heal from various mental, emotional, and relationship problems. My style is direct,honest, supportive, and nonjudgmental.

Anonymous
You need to find something that you are really passionate about and share that with others. You need to stay productive and you need to stay positive. Positive energy is what atracts people.
lovelyOcean15
For me, the best way to get over loneliness is to get myself distracted. Like doing some activities. ex. hanging out, singing, watching a movie hiking etc.
Anonymous
I have found that trying find things or activities that I enjoy or seeking out friends or family and spend quality time with them helps me to overcome and enjoy any times of loneliness.
Anonymous
For me: animals. Being around animals, particularly dogs and other domestic pets, can be extremely comforting for people experiencing loneliness, and even depression.
museofdreams
Loneliness is like a friend you don't want; it's there and you can't really get rid of it without hurting it's feeling and making it worse. But if you find something to distract that friend (loneliness) you won't have it anymore. New friends, spending time with old friends, gaming, or even just spending time doing things like watching movies or drawing. Loneliness will always hit you once in awhile, but small visits from old friends can be a pleasant experience in my opinion. Looking back occasionally and remembering where you used to be can be a great way to keep going strong.
RussianCoffee789
Loneliness is hard to deal with. I struggle with it a lot, and when I can't call someone or I'm just having a rough time with my girlfriend, I tend to pick up my favorite book. I know this will sound nerdy, but it's Henry V by William Shakespeare, and I just read all of my favorite parts. It's like seeing a really old friend. It's something I take comfort in, and it makes me realize that I am never really alone. There are so many people out there (fictional people included) that have something incredible to say. And it's a breath taking experience to see people working together to create something better than what we have right now. Human progress is beautiful, and it comforts me.
Erynn
There are some personal activities that can help - hobbies, gratitude journaling, listing positives, mindfulness, reading - and group activities like meeting acquaintances, talking to peers/coworkers, joining a club or going to a social space. If these interactions are hard for you, semi-structured environments might be most helpful, as in, not just discussion groups, but maybe a led discussion, or an activity based group so that discussion doesn't have to be the main focus of interaction.
Mindfulness
Have in mind your hobbies and try reaching up to people by joining a club, forum, art circle etc where you can practice what you like(drawing, photography, music etc). This way it's easier to connect with people because you'll have something in common and it makes it easier to start a conversation. You can also try to go out and meet new people that like the same things as you do. For example go to an art opening if you like art, or to a concert, or to a book sell and start up a conversation with one or more people. You could also try and get a pet. They've been proven to lower depression and anxiety and they're great companions.
JayMerise
Loneliness is a hard thing to just 'get over' to. It can be a struggle dealing with loneliness, I know that from experience. The thing that always kept me going was trying to think about the people who love me, and enjoying every single moment I'm around those people.
MadilynRose
There are lots of ways to conquer loneliness, but I find the best one is to just involve yourself in things that other people are also participating in. Even if you don't have anyone you're close with, you're still around other humans, which is healthy, and important when trying to cure loneliness. :)
WonderlandRabbit
Starting on seven cups is definitely the way to go. You can always talk to the people around you for support.
Anonymous
The best way to get over loneliness is to accept that you're alone and know why you're comfortable with it, feel good as you are or find amazing people to make you forget the loneliness you feel
BrokenDefinition
Many people find different things help relieve there sense of loneliness. Explore things you enjoy. A hobby, a pet or a new friend may come of it! Being alone often gives us a chance to really figure out who we are and what we love.
Anonymous
If you do not have any friends around who you can talk to immediately, try to speak to somebody in person. If that is not possible, think to yourself about future plans you could make, so you have something to look forward to.
Anonymous
Try taking small risks you wouldn't have done before. Like asking someone if they want a piece of gum.
TheCup
Everyone says be sociable. This time it might be: staying alone completely and trying to put your passion/talent into terms of reality.
MyNameIsWilliam
Loneliness, it's a thing that many people feel, and can relate to. Even when their in a relationship or have many many friends, or if they don't, whatever it might be, it's always possible to feel lonely. And that's what we listeners are here for. A good friend is one that listens and cares and I can assure you that us listeners around here do exactly that, so if you want to, you can consider us as a friend. How to get over loneliness and the reasons for feeling it is different for everyone, and what you're able to do is very important to be adapted to it, and a one on one conversation with a listener is perfect for that.
MissCarla
If you are feeling lonely it can help to take up a hobby that is outside of the house. Something to take up your time and to potentially help you meet new people.
Ari
Do what you love, what you are passionated about, you won't feel lonely at all! You will feel you want to share those moments with someone, but you still will feel better :)
InfinitySee
The self realization of loneliness is the most off putting part. My favorite way of getting over it is occupying my self. be it friends/TV/games.
towardaquietmind
As hard as it might be the key for me is to get out and connect with the world somehow. I don't have to talk to anyone but just walking in a park, seeing people and seeing nature helps me feel less lonely. When I feel up to it then I can give a close friend or family member a text message.
Anonymous
The best way to get over loneliness is to get out. Make some friends, chat with strangers, realize that you're not alone in this world.
alfonsojon1997
I wouldn't say there's a "best way", but I think having good company helps, and maybe some sweets. When I'm feeling lonely, it's always nice to have someone there to talk to :)
Anonymous
The best way to get over loneliness, is to communicate with others, and develop new people to chat with.
kalokagathia
Distract yourself by spending time with friends or family. Go out and have fun. Distract yourself by watching your favorite show, listening to your favorite song, taking a nap. Most importantly, remember to go out and meet new people.
AloneAcneLove
The best way is COMMUNICATION. Find an interest. Then join your "interest" community and make friends.
trustJune01
finding a hobby to keep you busy is the best way to avoid feeling lonely. do something that you love
StormBreaker101
Well what I do is use the time I have alone to get to know myself. Become my own company, talk to myself, rant to myself, use the time to explore my thoughts uncensored
meboysen
Having friends or a passion. For me, when I was lonely, the best thing to do was to get my mind off of it. Try contacting someone you know or doing some of your favorite activities to distract you from it.
waxFeathers
Loneliness comes from feeling disconnected from other people. You can be surrounded by great people who care about you and still feel lonely. Sometimes, being with other people might make you feel even more lonely than being alone. The key is to figure out what specific activities help you feel connected to the people and to the world around you. These activities can vary from person to person, so what helps one person might make you feel worse, and vice versa. Sometimes this means socialising with like-minded people that you share interests with. However, if you're introverted like me, you might find it more helpful to seek activities which you can do on your own, but can foster this connectedness. For example, I find that taking walks can help me feel more connected to my environment. Reading a book or hearing a song which responds to how I am feeling can also help me feel more connected. These activities help to foster empathy. I find that the more I learn how to empathise, the easier it is to feel connected to others. Empathising with other people by taking the time to listen to them (for example, by becoming a listener for 7 Cups of Tea) is one way to develop a sense of empathy and to soothe both your loneliness and the loneliness of others.