What's the best way to stop being depressed?

Tim Van Rheenen, M.A., LMFT

I will work to help you get unstuck. Together we will apply methodologies that work to find freedom from trauma, sexually addictive behaviors, and relational problems.

CGiggles
What has stopped me from being depressed is that I force myself to do something. I don't think about what I have to do, I just get up and do it. Sometimes that is hard, but I use self talk and tell myself in baby steps... For instance, I am laying in bed and depressed, then I recognize that I am sad, I then tell myself to get up and shower. I know the warm water soothes me. I then think about what I can do next, usually something small. Put on something nice. Then work on keeping my mind busy. Once I have calmed down a few hours later, I journal and ask myself why am I feeling this way. Then I ask again and again until I find the root cause of my sadness then I work to resolve that issue.
Anonymous
December 22nd, 2015 6:20am
Taking the tiny step forward to do ONE thing you would do if you weren't so depressed. Once you do that one thing, it becomes easier to do another and another. You slowly become more mindful of these things and ruminate less..
Brittneym101
There are a lot of ways to stop being depressed or even prevent depression from happening, but everyone is different and some solutions that work for me may not work for you. The one thing that I find helpful when going through depression is finding somebody like a friend or family member that you can trust to vent to. I find myself very exhausted with no energy when undergoing depression. You can also go for walks and get some fresh air. God is also there with you so just had all of your problems to him and let him handle it. Everything may not work out exactly how you want it, but God will work it out for the best for you.
Anonymous
Overthinking is thought to be a cause of depression. So I think setting a routine and keeping yourself busy, exercising and wanting to fight depression will help a lot. Other than that, depression has various causes and if it's severe then consulting a professional should help
happyrainbow93
I think there are two main things to stop being depressed. The first one is in regards to our behavior. Setting a routine or planning weekly and daily what we are going to do is crucial. This prevents us from staying in bed all day or not doing anything which are behaviors that will increase our sad mood (it is a cycle). The second thing is about dealing with the negative thoughts. Recording the negative thoughts and being aware of them is the first step since then you can realize that they are the ones who make you feel sad. After this, when is possible trying to replace them with more rational thoughts since when we are depressed we tend to generalize or catastrophize everything. If the thought cannot be replaced, try to accept it as it is and realize that it is just a thought and it does not mean it is real or that I have to act based on this thought. Meditation can be helpful to accept thoughts and emotions. To just see them and not judge them.
MatrixIND
I think the best way to combat depression is helping others solve their problems.It may not be physically present everytime.Just being emphatic about others,kindness and compassion works a huge way in combating depression.When we try to convience others that their problems aren't impossible to solve; in the process we motivate ourselves for the same.The joy of giving is an impeccable feeling! When someone is happy just because you attended them at the right time ..that feeling is really satisfying.I feel being Happy is the first major step to come out of depression;it requires courage and persevarance to fight against your lows and to rise and shine again.And helping others achieve their pinnacle to happiness is a huge milestone in the journey.
Anonymous
Hey and thanks for your question! The best way is to remember how short life is. It is too short to be worried, depressed and sad, just bring the best out of it! On the other hand, you have enough time to experience life, I promise. Depression is a mental condition that you can't just stop, but you can minimize the chance of being depressed. I even suggest you to keep meditating, laughing, talking with someone about your thoughts, and be crazy about life! Wish you the best
Nicechatter
Get yourself to the mirror and look yourself.You're beautiful,you're intelligent,you're precious.You should love yourself.And you got yourself,so what can make you sad ?
AubriePevensie
Slowly learn to let go of certain patterns of thoughts. Slowly, you will begin to notice changes in how you think and everything will appear brighter. It is tremendously difficult but once you get the hang of it you'd never want to go back! :)
mitchinthebox
To find some activities that you enjoy doing, that include being in sunlight or being around other people. Try to do everything to distract yourself from the feeling of drowning
Anonymous
Try to spend time with positive supportive people. Stay busy with anything, but do things that you can enjoy. Go for walks and try to do things outside in the sunlight.
Anonymous
To focus on every positive thing that ever happened to you. to see everyday not has another day but a challenge. to be grateful for your life. to have fun. to have objectives.
Lennya
I'm not sure you can simply "stop being depressed" but some good ways of helping to combat that are : seeking support, eating healthy, exercising, being honest with medical professionals, and getting lots of sunlight in (as seasonal affective disorder plays into depression alot).
amorvincitomnia143
Reach out for support , find some hobbies that really spark your passion has always helped me before.
AutumnSunset23
Be positive! Be around people and help others. Volunteer. Spend time around misfortunate people who have less than you and then be grateful about what you have and that you can help others who don' t have as much. Also, force yourself to get out each day and do something to make yourself happy. It can be in the form of a walk, a movie, buying clothes, or just relaxing for the day, but do what makes you happy regardless of what anyone else says or thinks. Also get plenty of exercise and sleep and eat healthy. Although see therapist and go to support group sif needed.
Anonymous
The best way for me to stop being depressed was to learn to love myself, and treat myself with compassion. As soon as I felt that way, I began to see my entire life in a completely different light. Loving-kindness towards yourself is incredibly important.
Anonymous
The best way to stop being depressed is to admit that you are depressed. You shouldn't expect that others will make the moves you have to make. As for me, sleeping and eating is the best way out of depression.
There is no easy answer to this question. Everyone is different and there is no one fits all answer. But realizing you have depression is the first step. And getting help is the 2nd. Try reaching out to a doctor or counselor or therapist for further help in your situation. Best of luck to you!
bountifulWillow67
Talking to a mental health professional for guidance might help. Not keeping everything to yourself.
Angel1008
Getting out of your room, see, talk and watch people (family, friends and mere strangers). Actively choosing to be active, happy and most importantly count your blessings. With everything that is happening to the world right now - its a great feeling to just wake up each day and still know that we are still in this world for a purpose. So go out there and make a difference. Help people!
gentlePeace95
just be more active, more out going, try new things that you have never experienced, like try camping, its great fun.
Anonymous
There is no bona fide "stop being depressed" magical cure, but you can absolutely start your road to recovery by seeking help from a medical professional and having open honest conversations with those you truly trust. Its a long road but anyone can make it, it's just a matter of how far you're willing to climb.
Anonymous
Therapy can do wonders if you find the right therapist for you! :) The first steps are always the hardest, but learning to walk is worth the effort. ;)
Anonymous
Everyone is different when it comes to depression. I find that pushing myself to go out and do things, helps. Now I understand it is very hard when you are depressed to go out and do things. So you can also try to find an escape. I use reading, but like I said everyone is different.
PhoenixFoxTail
Keep yourself busy with safe activities that you enjoy. (e.g listening to music, playing video games.) and talk to someone you trust.
TheBoundless
By going out and having fun! Get up, do something with your life! Because staying within your own home is nonsense, when you have the entire world to explore, take your dog for a walk, take a bike ride. do SOMETHING!
Anonymous
Putting your mind off your situation and doing something you love. Surround yourself with positive people and if it gets too much, speak to someone you trust. :) Lastly, keep smiling!!
nazadan98
I do not think that there is a right or wrong answer for this, everyone has their own way of fighting depression. But I believe that focusing all of your energy on doing something that you really love helps a lot, whatever that thing might be. Also sorround yourself with good, positive people instead of people who bring you down. Last but not least, don't forget to put yourself first every once in a while!
michelle2000
There is no easy or quick way to treat depression, but the best ways are to either go to a therapist or to get medications (specifically antidepressants). Although these things cost a significant amount of money, they are your best bet to beat depression.
uniqueMango45
Get help, talk to a doctor and potentially get a prescription if necessary/recommended. Trust the professionals.