What's the best way to stop being depressed?

Amanda Wiginton, LMFT

Now is the time to make a change! Professional, empathic, and compassionate therapist waiting to help you make healthy life changes.

Anonymous
Being positive, wanting to feel better, surrounding yourself with happy people and doing activities that you enjoy doing are all ( and only some ) ways to stop being depressed.
peacefulSky56
writing can be the best way of letting out the negative feelings and then you can burn you writings and you will feel that your negative energy is slightly decreasing
AcaciaTree555
This is a very complex question with a very complex answer. I can say that, in my experience, exercise is the number one thing that helps my depression. I do 20 minutes per day of dedicated exercise (on my elliptical or yoga) and walk as much as I can. I also get a solid 8-9 hours sleep each night and try to not use my phone or watch TV 30 minutes before bed. Aside from that, I keep a gratitude journal and try to eat in a balanced way. These are just my experiences and every experience with depression is completely unique. Some benefit from medication or therapy, others can heal with support from loved ones. It's just about finding what treatment works best for you through trail and error.
Anonymous
You can't stop being depressed, but you can work through it. Depression is kind of like Jenga You have to work hard to remove each piece, but there's always a chance of if crumbling back down and biting you back. Each person has their own way of "dealing" with depression. You just have to find yours and take time removing each piece that's holding you back.
Peppens
From my experience, keeping myself occupied with what I love doing, hanging with friends, playing games, going on walks and playing with pets. Find joy in what you do, love what you find joy in, and it will all come together. Doesn't hurt to be open and tell someone how you feel :)
bestWillow16
Depression can be a tricky beast. One thing i've tried in the past for my depression is excercise. I used to be depressed because I felt like I wasn't pushing myself to the next level. It's also important to not overdo it, and find a way to get excercise in a way you enjoy, like playing basketball, or running. playing the drums also broke a sweat for me
peacefulBeauty64
To have a good support network, to be able to confide in someone and talk openly how you feel. To think positive about yourself and your future
selfconfidentCity5254
What made me stop being depressed is i took time to heal me,im sad ill let myself sad i feel alone? I let myself feel alone but that disappears when im in school because simply my friends are there but when the bell rang means its time to go home then there it is again i feel alone, there are alot of symptoms but i just dealt with it and i said to myself that one day these symptoms will disappear and get tired bothering me. Just take time but dont forget to socialize even your body doesnt want you to do it push yourself and dont let your depression eat you
Anonymous
Depression is tough to deal with, that's a sure thing! However to try to improve your mood, you can do little things to show yourself some love and appreciation. It doesn't have to be 'complicated'. Simple things can be really helpful, like going out for a walk, taking a bath, spending time with loved ones, watching your favorite tv show, eating your favorite mal/dessert, petting your pets, reading... When feeling down, the best way to improve your mood, or at least, trying to (that's already a huge step!) is to take care of yourself because you deserve (and need!) some kindness and love.
Anonymous
It can feel so overwhelming when we feel depressed and sometimes others may not think we should be depressed but you still feel that way. It helps if you can talk to someone perhaps a family member or a friend or a chat line like 7cups. Talking about it can help you work through what is causing you to be depressed and also helps in knowing you are not alone and that you are cared about. Sometimes music you like can lift your spirit or read a book you like. Sometimes sitting down and taking a few deep breathes and thinking of something that makes you happy for example a place you went that makes you feel peaceful or a smell that brings back good memories and try focus on them and remind yourself- things may be hard at times but I am not alone and I count. You will always have someone here at 7cups to talk to, we care about how you feel. Take a moment and remember you are not alone and things can and will get better.