Why can't I find the same joy in things that other people do?

JaNaè Taylor, PhD, LPC

I work to provide culturally tailored services to my clients through support, advocacy, and reflection.

Weed
March 2nd, 2015 7:42pm
Maybe because you see the things differently than they do. Like for eg you are those people are walking on a road together, on the same road you see people fighting and blood everywhere while those people with you are seeing flowers by the side of the road and a girl gently plucking them to give them to a young boy next to her. Or maybe its just that your interests are different, like some people like reading novels while others find watching movies exciting.
Anonymous
There must be something that causes you pain...You must try to heal that pain.. There's a video for Adina Rivers that talks about that... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlPGMiUoKmQ
Anonymous
Because we're all unique, and different. We all like different things depending on your personality, and it's totally okay to find joy in things other people don't. It makes you special, it's not wrong.
Anonymous
Not being able to find joy in normal things and living life as though in a monotone is a sign of depression. Once you get help for whatever else is bothering you, you will find that the joy in things will slowly come back.
Anonymous
Alot of times, people are very divers in what they like. it is compleatly normal to like something different, but alot of times this is asosiated with depressipn.
Tuscany
Everybody is different and what somebody may like, you may hate. This a part of our personalities. Don't feel bad about being unique!
neverletlifetakeyourspark
Everyone has different hobbies. You just might not be interested in your friends hobbies. And that's okay. Find things that you are interested in.
CarcinoArison16
no body has the same interests you aren't always going to enjoy the same things that other people do and that's okay it's okay to have different interests and it's okay not to like the same things that other people like.
Comfortingbubbles
Because everyone is different! You are just a unique person, and many smart, beautiful people don't find joy in the "normal" things!
zaix
not everyone is going to enjoy all of the same things. Everyone is different and likes to do different things. Do what you enjoy doing, it's the key to happiness.
kimberlyMS
There are many possible reasons for that. I asked myself that same question all of my life until I went to the doctor and found great counselors. I am diagnosed with Major Dessive Disorder, along with many other things. My body does not make those "happy" chemicals that it's supposed to. I suggest seeking professional help to see where this is coming from. Whether it be with working with a doctor, a counselor, or both, I believe that is the best way to start to find the answers you're looking for and find and work on the root of the problem. Best of luck! I am always here for support! Remember that you are not defective, you are not broken, and you are not abnormal. You are normal. And you are capable of anything you put your mind to. You are a lovable, capable, worthy human being that deserves the very best this life can offer!
majesticHippos413
You are your own individual person. Be proud of your different interests. It's what makes you who you are.
Anonymous
Maybe it is just a phase you are going through, it happens to everyone, but maybe it is more than that and you are developing depression. Take the 7cups Guide if you want.
Anonymous
Every individual finds happiness and satisfaction in different things. You may not find the joy in that specific thing, but in other things you find the joy. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.
nrigaud
Everyone has their own pleasures and emotions. It's entirely okay to not like "normal" things and to enjoy different things. For example, I love the rain and hate the sun light. There's nothing wrong with you for that, just take joy in the things that you do like!
Anonymous
The way we find happiness is different for everyone, but sometimes the things that make us happy change over time too.
MaylanisEarsOnly
When you get scared your friends may scream but you might just jolt, When your asked whats your favorite color you say blue but your friend says Orange. Everyone responds to things in a different way. It might take something more exciting for you to feel joyful it could be the setting or the time that wont allow something to be as exciting, It could be multiple things but you gotta focus on what you find joyful
Anonymous
you may have different interest fields, which is completely okay. we do not have to like what everybody else likes.
Anonymous
You may not find the same joy others may have because your interests may be different from them and you're passions in one activity may not be what others enjoy doing.
Anonymous
Perhaps you don't find it such thing appealing, not everybody has the same taste. the same way people won't find joy in things that you like.
LetsSpreadHappiness
Everyone has different interests. Not necessarily what others enjoy, You’ll enjoy too. It’s that simple. We have different thoughts, opinions, perspectives to situations and things. Some might like it, some might not. If you're not able to enjoy something, change it. And this applies to every aspect of life.
Anonymous
Everyone is different, and being different from others necessarily isn’t a bad thing! I’m pretty much different from everyone I know, and I’m happiest being myself than trying to fit in. Your true self is your best self!