Why do depressed people push loved ones away?

Zeina Ghoul, LLPC

I help guide clients to create positive change in a non-judgmental and supportive atmosphere.

charmingHeart
because, he/she won't his/her beloved get hurt. He/She try to protect her/his beloved, even she/he need a help to heal from his/her depressed
Anonymous
They push people away because they are on a self destruct mode and would rather know they pushed the person away then the person leaving them
Courtneyraka
Depression is a very nasty disease. It's not easily treatable and has a huge stigma surronding it. Depression is the only disease with a terminal outcome that we look down upon. We tell people it's not the bad and they just need to get out when they do reach out for help- which only makes them feel worse. The stigma is why they push people away, not to mention this disease makes one feel they're not worth anyone's time.
Anonymous
When someone is depressed they are struggling a lot . They will often feel extremely low or sad and unmotivated . They also tend to want more time alone. . This makes it very hard to keep on top of relationships with loved ones . They may either just feel feel too down to be capable of keeping a healthy relationship or they may also push people away to stop these loved ones seing this depression and pain or because they are afraid they will hurt their loved ones in some way or another . Often though , they push people away gradualy and almost subconsciously , without realising they're doing it until It's too late .
7CupsOfEspresso
Sometimes they feel that if people really do love them, they won't be pushy or overbearing, but they won't disappear either. They'll stick around and just be there. When depressed people push others away, they're weeding out their fake friends.
courageouslove19
being depressed makes your mind think of negative things and kinda makes it paranoid, so anytime someone tries to comfort you or be there for you, your mind tricks you into thinking that they actually don't care and that it is possible that they are doing this to hurt you. it's really hard to trust someone when you have depression, they still need support and warmth, and a shoulder to rely on
Anonymous
Its pretty easy. There is simply nothing worse then knowing someone loves you and cares about you when you hate nothing more than yourself. The only thing you know that you are worthless an bad... if sombody acts different to that 'fact' you mind is telling you, it makes you feel terrible because it feels like they are pretending shit or everything you think and know is just wrong
Anonymous
Personally, I feel that at times they don't want my company. I feel disconnected and alienated even if they love me or care for me so I push them away. Other times I feel like they don't love me, that it's all an act. Thus, in order to understand and connect with a person with depression, it's important to establish that you indeed care about them and be there for them and not push too hard.
ughhitshaley
THey push them away because they feel worthless and hopless like they are not good enough to be around them or interact with them.
Anonymous
January 22nd, 2016 5:30pm
they might need time to figure out and assess their situation/life. they also might feel as if they can't trust anyone. this is why talking to them is very important.
Sunnyears123
They're scared. They are afraid that people will hurt them, so they push them away before they get hurt
Penny12
Sometimes people with depression feel like they're bringing the people around them down too. Or sometimes they don't want to talk to anyone because they're afraid their loved ones will notice the change in them and they're not ready to talk about it. Other times the condition itself drives sufferers into isolation when they don't have the motivation to go out. In my experience it's predominantly that people have to put on a brave face around loved ones and they just can't pretend everything's alright anymore.
violetskies
im so sorry to quote the perks of being a wallflower but " we accept the love we think we deserve", that or they dont feel like being around people and are irritable
TillyT
I believe that depression can dramatically lower our self esteem and confidence. As a result it can make someone feel worthless and a burden to those around them. In these moment its always good to flip the situation...if someone you loved was hurting would you consider them a burden?
kittenkaii
when someone is depressed falling into a slump happens and you feel the need to push everyone away because either you just don't care or don't want the ones you care for to see you like that.
Anonymous
Depressed people have gone through a lot of bad stuff and they are still going through bad stuff, basically it alters their whole working of brain which doesn't let them think rationally and in this case love can heal them the most.
joyfulMoon52
A depressed person focuses inward, into themselves. Everyone and everything outside becomes simply irrelevant. Paying attention to the outside world and the people in it requires a lot of effort and occures as a painful hassle.
Syidren
For some, at a certain point, its almost like an addiction. There is an odd distorted view that the pain from the depression is comfortable and safe, in the idea you know what to expect and it isn't a rollercoaster of high's and lows' . . its just one straight low. . .
Anonymous
I think they do it because they are too scared of their dear one's reaction , or feel that they might be a burden to them I know some people who prefer getting help from a total stranger than from the one they love
Anonymous
Depression can cause people to feel unworthy of love and like a burden to everyone in their lives. There is also so much guilt involved because it’s easy to feel like people need you to feel okay, and it’s so easy to feel guilty for not being okay and not wanting to let anyone know. In my own experience, when I felt like a burden to those I loved or guilty because people who loved me were sad that I was sad, I pushed them away because I wanted better for them than for them to feel that way because of me. Thankfully, some of those people were persistent and stuck by me even when I tried to push them away. I know it must’ve been hard for them, but I’m so thankful they did it.
Anonymous
They probably think that you're not helping or cannot help. They may realize that it hurts the person trying to help, but if a person is depressed and their friends really cannot help, they need to look elsewhere and worry about themselves first and foremost.
Anonymous
People who are depressed feel like everyone wants them to change or just don't understand. Some feel it's best to be alone with their thoughts.
Anonymous
Sometimes when you're depressed, you feel lonely and that feeling causes you to push others away when they want to help. You may not know you're doing it until a loved one says something.
Its hard to feel depression. Its a very difficult thing to feel and to go through. Lots of times people who are suffering feel that nobody will understand what they are going through and may feel its easier to just deal with their feelings alone or in secret. The best thing you can do is to be there and lend support if you know someone who suffers or if you are the one suffering perhaps seeking professional healthcare advice through a provider, a counselor or therapist can help.
Anonymous
Because they don't want others to "deal with the same problems". Mostly arises from wanting to keep others safe and suffer themselves. Logic.
Anonymous
Depressed people push loved ones away because they are sad and hate people and life. :) :( :) :( hi!
ItsAlwaysWorseThanItSeems
A lot of people are scared of hurting their loved ones by telling them the truth. Maybe they won't think of them the same way. It's sad that some people think that, but true loved ones will always love you no matter what you say. That's what makes them so special.
beautifuldevil
Depression amplifies every negative thought and emotion. Those with depression feel that they are undeserving of love and affection. They dwell in oppressive isolation, thinking that this is what the world has chosen for them. Also, they hate to be a burden to anyone else. They hate themselves and think they are beyond saving. Therefore, they don't want to waste anyone else's time. They prefer to suffer alone and undisturbed.
Anonymous
We don't feel like we deserve love. Sometimes we feel as if our problems are too much and/or a burden to our loved ones so we push them away, "If you love something set it free".
katharine29
Sometimes people suffering from depression feel their family or friends can't understand them or try to protect them from "blaming themselves". As a result it can mean that, instead of engaging with those they love most, people end up pushing them away. If they feel ready, talking to someone impartial can help as they don't feel they have to explain or justify themselves