Why do I always find a reason to be depressed?

Alison Humphreys, LCPC

During the therapeutic process, individuals will learn to manage transitions, overcome obstacles and work towards their full potential .

gabriellevasilieva
Because sometimes you've been depressed for so long that the feeling of happiness becomes a long-forgotten emotion and it baffles you
Cadence
It's not like someone goes out with the intent on being depressed; it just kind of happens sometimes. All in all it's important to remember that people aren't depressed because they're broken, or something like that; it comes down to a chemical imbalance in the brain that's usually the pesky cause of all of these feelings. Sometimes things can randomly trigger these chemical imbalances, such as seeing something that reminds you of bad times, or something to the effect. Nonetheless, it's important to remember that it's not really that you're finding a way to be depressed; you are depressed, and it comes and goes, and it's uncontrollable as to when each spur is going to come. Not a mistake you're making.
Anonymous
Perhaps you feel like you don't deserve to be happy, for whatever reason that may be. But everyone deserves happiness, no matter what.
Anonymous
It's not you finding a reason to be depressed--your depression is not your fault. Your depression finds reasons for you to be depressed. It's a mental illness and it isn't your fault that your brain keeps fixing on different reasons for depression.
salmaA99
we all go this phase in our life, always feeling alone, sad or depressed for no rational reason,it's completely normal :) when you feel this way, just go wash your face, and find your happiness in the smallest thing around you
Angie27
Hello, can you discripe me the feelings what you are feeling when you have the feeling that it can eelate to depressed feelings?
Waterbear
Either your mood is depressed and your conscious mind finds reasons for your feelings, or you're noticing bad things happening in your environment that are making you depressed. A good therapist can help you figure out which one it is.
HamRadio4Life
If you have not been clinically diagnosed with depression, you could just be looking for a way to punish yourself for something. Not everyone needs to be diagnosed and can feel depressed from time to time. Ask yourself what you're feeling when you start to feel depressed. It just may be the root of the problem.
Serifeee
sometimes loneliness is a huge problem. If you can be social more, You can easily cope with your depression. Because other people help you anyway. You should be strong and keep calm. Keep your smiling and Wlak outside in spite of negative reasons.
mightywindbag
I don't think anyone 'finds' a reason to be depressed. It is an illness and cannot be helped when the symptoms strike.
CallMeRay
Sometimes we make things seem worse than they are because the pressure is too much to handle. My counselor told me that I needed to start letting things go and I think that really helped.
Anonymous
This state can be long lasting. So, if you feel depressed for a month or so, it will not go the very next day. But it surely will, I promise you. During this state you will feel distressed and you will have lots of negative thoughts in your head. But these thoughts do not define you properly, because you are sad and sadness does not define you.
readman
December 22nd, 2015 3:48am
WHY DO I ALWAYS FIND A REASON TO BE DEPRESSED? One thing about depression is that distort your perception of the world, you can’t trust in your judgments or the reasons your “depressed ego” is telling you, those are lies. That “pathological ego” only know -sadness, suffering and pain- and like a corrupted computer program, it will only does what it knows, everything you see is translated into something it can understand. The beautiful becomes ugly and the light is just shadows. Battling depression is basically learn to fight that “depressed ego”, learn to see through the irrational ideas.
Anonymous
Some things can be triggering. What is triggering? Triggering, is like seeing something that brings back a sad memory, or something else sad that can lead to feeling sad. This is typically normal, you just have to know how to deal with this sudden overabundance of emotions to avoid hurting yourself.
BlossomKitten
It's not someone's intention to be depressed, so you're not finding reasons to be depressed, you are depressed. Depression is not something you do, it's a chemical imbalance and, in my experience, sometimes you can get triggered really easy.
Anonymous
I don't need a reason perse. If anything, depressed is the nirm for me so theres no reason for it in my mind. If anything, the question that i eould be adking myself would be (on a particularly good day for example) why am i feeling so good?!
alwayshere789
Often when someone experiences depression there is no obvious reason for them to feel the way they do so they feel like they have to find a reason to validate how they feel, when in reality it is okay to feel depressed without a valid reason. It's a chemical inbalance!