Why do I always hide myself away from people who want to help?

Maryna Svitasheva, PhD. RP

Psychotherapy I provide is based on a dialog and your active intention to look for a solution with the therapist's assistance

Anonymous
You might do this because you're scared to accept help. Especially if you're a person who usually helps others instead of recieving help. You could also be embarrassed. Or scared they'll judge you.
magneticSnow78
maybe you were hurt by a lot of people in the past and because you have been hurt badly you put up barriers to prevent those who care about you to help. It is your body's way of protecting yourself from being hurt
nightFlower81
Humbling yourself enough to ask for help is a difficult thing to do. As humans we take pride in our abilities to do for ourselves. Sometimes we feel we can do things better without help, or that we may feel that by asking for help we are giving up a portion of our independence. It is normal for us to try to handle things on our won first. It is important to know that there are those who are out there that will help us and love and support us and we shouldn't be afraid to ask.
Anonymous
Because you are afraid. You are scared that if they help you, you would change, or they would change, or SOMETHING would change and that just freaks you out. It's perfectly fine, when you're ready to fully accept help, you will stop hiding.
cuddlyRainfall99
Sometimes talking to someone who wants to help you can feel pressurizing and embarrassing. You appreciate that they want to help but also feel cornered and under pressure to be helped by what they have to say, when in reality you might not feel any better from their help. This scares some people, and because they don't know how the person will react it can cause fear of the unknown to arise.
FlowerInDisguise19
At the moment you are at the process of feeling so bad you may try to push people away from you, but you have to remember that the bravest thing you can ever do is to ask for help when you are in need of it and I am very glad that you have come onto 7cups for support and I extend my hand as a listener to help you and support you through this, we'll fight through it together :)
Anonymous
I often think they can't help me or can't understand my problem. Sometimes I think I would burden them if I ever started to talk about my problems and they will find me annoying. But most of the time I don't trust people enough to open myself up to them.
Anonymous
It's not easy to be vulnerable and reach out for help. Often, we are afraid of vulnerability and being open to others, especially if we have been hurt in the past. Hiding ourselves away from people who want to help is a mechanism to protect ourselves from being endangered by vulnerability. In other words, we don't want to get hurt.
Anonymous
Sometimes folks are truly afraid of burdening the people who are lending a hand with their troubles.
Anonymous
Sometimes, people do so because they fear they can't be helped and they'd rather stay hopeful that someone can help instead of be disappointed by someone who may not be able to. The second action is taken, you have to abandon your ideals of how help may look, and sometimes we're scared of disappointment due to help not living up to social ideals.
Anonymous
Maybe you are afraid of being judged. I myself wish I could get help, but I tend to hide from people who offer me help because I'm afraid of them judging me.
olimaar
I think you always hide yourself because you are more independent than others, feeling incomplete if you don't do everything yourself.
naturalSnowflake39
Because your scared of letting people in. Your scared that when you tell them they are going to walk away.
grumpymama
Many people hide from the people who can help because they are scared that they can't actually help them. It's a perfectly normal feeling. Sometimes you just have to push through and force yourself to go see someone who can help you.
HopeBehindtheVeil23
Because you don't want to appear weak and vulnerable in front of them by taking help. You are afraid of being able to live up to their expectation that you will help them back later.
SilentSerenityy
You might subconsciously feel like you're a burden on others or that you can't fully trust people to help you.
GittleLeo
It can be embarrassing to be in a situation to need help. What most people who need assistance fail to realize is that by allowing themselves to be helped they are blessing others by allowing them to use the gifts and means they may want to share with others. By denying someone the chance to help you they may not be blessed for the service they may be able to give to you. In some instances someone who wants to help is probably paying forward something that had been done for them. Give them that opportunity.