Why do I feel depressed even when my life is going great?

Alex DS Ellis, MA, LMFT

Feeling depressed or anxious can be so overwhelming. I want to help you feel better and be able to enjoy life. You are not alone and you deserve emotional support.

spiderbyte
Sometimes what we feel isn't rational, but that doesn't change the fact that it is what we're feeling. You shouldn't feel guilt for this, as society and ourselves sometimes make us feel ashamed. Your circumstances don't define your emotions. You do not have to "earn" the right to feel depressed. Depression can affect anyone, it doesn't discriminate between those with a "bad" or "good" life. You are allowed to feel what you feel. There are many reasons you may be feeling this way, too. There can also be no reason. No matter which applies to you, you still deserve support and comfort, just like anyone else who struggles.
Anonymous
January 21st, 2021 11:25pm
You need to find out what is making you feel depressed and what is making you feel that although you have everything, what is that something that you are missing. You may then want to assess why you feel that way, is it because you feel guilty for living a great life when others are suffering? Is it because you have not got the one thing that you truly desire? Sometimes even though to others we may be living a perfect life, having one thing or having just someone not in our lives that we long for, can make our whole world look depressing to us.
RickyTheProfessor
People tend to be most happy in situations where they know the outcome. Even if the outcome has been negative in the past, many people fear the unknown even more than they fear a repeat of bad situations or depression. It is important to allow new situations, even serenity and feeling fantastic, to be as important for growth as even the bad situations were. Opening up and allowing yourself to accept that you deserve this moment, for your life to be going great right now, is a liberating and powerful feeling. It can also retrain your brain to appreciate and look for situations you can help your life be personally satisfying in other ways. Focus on what you have and build on it from there and maybe that depression will become a thing of the past.
medevilHearsYourProblems
It's okay to feel this way. I feel like this as well sometimes, and sometimes it makes me feel selfish. But, I have an answer for you. Something bad might have happened in your past, and it's something that keeps on bothering you. Even though it might seem like your life is going well and you're gaining so many good memories, that isn't going to remove the fact that you have bad ones. It might still be bothering you, and since your life is becoming better, you think back to the old times and it becomes so much harder to overcome it in your mind because you have something to compare it to.
MrStellar
I feel depressed even when my life is going great because I guess I don't really feel fulfilled, in the sense that I'm constantly worrying about the future - specifically about money and jobs. All of this affects me deeply, as I am so uncertain about my future and about how am I able to provide for my wife and my family. While I know that everything will work out stellar in the future, I am not there yet, as I am living in the present, which is what probably scares me the most, because I don't know what lies between right now and soon, and later. Until then, though, I will keep striving and trying. That is the one way I can push through.
Steve847
It's so difficult to understand the validation behind any emotion you are experiencing when you feel your life is going great. There are many causes for depression and not all of them are obvious. Chemical imbalances. Hormones. Stress. Sometimes it's hard to recognize stress. At times we don't realize something really bothers us until we take the time to stop and think about absolutely everything going on with our lives. Are we fulfilled? Are we truly getting what we need out of all aspects of life? Answering those questions often helps us realize why we feel depressed, and can often lead us to figuring out how to move past it. But, maybe there's the feeling that something is going to go wrong and ruin what's going great, so your brain is making you think you need to shut yourself down before you get used to it and get hurt. For further support please reach out to one of our listeners or therapist's on our site who have personal experience with depression or those that specialize in this subject area. Self-help guides as well as mindfulness exercises are also available on our site. You deserve to be heard!
BlueOasis420
You don't have to have a bad life to be depressed. Many people develop depression due to a traumatic childhood or abuse, that's true, but often it's not the case. Depression can hit everybody, sometimes due to genetic causes. You don't have to feel guilty though. That your life is great doesn't mean you're not allowed to be sad. It's okay. Everybody who tells you to just enjoy your life and be happy doesn't know what he's talking about. Whether our lives are good or bad often has very little impact in how we feel or how we behave. It's normal that some people will be sceptic that you feel this way although you have a good life, but you deserve and need help and support like everyone else struggeling with depression or constant sadness.
CutePotat0
feeling down can be caused by many reasons , you dont have to have a bad life to be sad and having a perfect wont make you happy too! there is stuff in life you cant just know the answers of it real clear so you gotta look deep into it just like this case . maybe you have it from something you already went through and it affected you or maybe it is because you are worried about future no one will know the answer but you and if you believe in god sometimes this happens cause of devil so be aware!
Anonymous
These things are usually governed by hormones and chemicals in the brain. It is a okay to feel that way even when everything is great. Everybody has days where do not feel good and what is happening in their life has nothing to do with it. It is natural to question why but it is important to know that there is no reason to be ashamed by how you feel. Everybody's feelings are valid and even people with a great life can feel this way. It is important to remember you are loved and cherished and are valued in this world.
JustPiscesThings
The short answer is because depression is about brain chemistry, not about how your life is going. The fact of the matter is that there are people who have triggers for depression related to crises in their lives or even things as simple as the weather, but those are only triggers and not the root of the depression. Someone can be having what is ostensibly a perfect life and still be depressed because it is an imbalance of neurotransmitters that handle mood regulation. Both dopamine and serotonin are monoamine neurotransmitters that interact with the parts of your brain that help regulate mood (called the limbic system). Dopamine is especially related to our feelings of being rewarded by actions that we like, including eating good food, playing video games, and being in sports. Those things interest us less and less when we're depressed because we aren't getting the same brain feedback through dopamine that makes us feel good for doing those things. Brains are immensely complicated, and it's your brain chemistry that is making you feel depressed.
ImheretohelpS2
Depression doesn't need a motive to start, it's a condition that grows in your mind and it's peetty exhausting, keeping all your ambitions and the feeling of wanting to live, away from you. A depressed person doesn't see pleasure at doing some activities they did before, geting out of bed keeps getting harder and harder and harder. It's ok to feel that way if you're depressed, the good news is that it will surely pass, you need to stay strong and try talking to people about it, having a good life doesn't mean you need to feel good and happy.
TheHornedKing1
When exploring the emotions behind some depression scenarios I've encountered, I've noticed that a very strict and practical view of the world could help much. That's when I realized one of the primary causes of depression is the "fog of life" - the fear of the unknown in the future and the false perception of the past leading to hope loss and eventually - to depression. This fog of life is a major obstacle, but it's also a fake one because it completely dissolves by changing the point of view, and gets replaced by hopes, potential, options, and a promise for a better future.
Anonymous
Struggling with depression can be difficult and hard to understand sometimes. Even when things appear to be going well and you believe you should be happy, depression can cause you to feel as though you will never be okay. This can make it hard to confide in friends and family because not everyone understands what it is like to be depressed for seemingly no reason at all. Always know that there are people out there who do understand what you are going through and are more than willing to help. There are many available sources to look into and people to talk to, especially right here on 7 Cups.
healinghorizon875
First of all, depression is something that can come about regardless of a person's situation. It occurs in places of wealth and poverty alike. A lot of people assume that if your life is "going great" you should be happy. Think about what makes your life "great." There might be something you are doing that may seem great, but it is actually causing you dissatisfaction. There could also be relationship issues (i.e. romantic, family, etc.) that are weighing on you despite other successes. Even if none of these apply, it's okay not to be okay. Above all, it's important not to blame yourself.
Anonymous
As someone who has and is experiencing the depressive disorder: Dysthymia, which I am more than happy to share, I can completely understand this. For me, it is a mild yet lingering sense of sadness, which never seems to leave. Sometimes become more blunt and obvious than other times. It could be that, perhaps, you are simply experiencing a type of exhaustion or 'burn-out'. When you socially, productively or emotionally wear yourself out, it can have some serious effects on our feelings, like this persistent sad feeling. For me, it's usually worth finding something you're passionate about to try and enjoy whenever you get time to. Or, even, get myself away for a while. No need to go far, maybe just stay at a friend's house, or go to a nice hotel for a night. It can be extremely helpful to give ourselves a break, some luxury now and then.