Why do I feel depressed even when my life is going great?

Tara Davis, Doctorate in Counselling Psychology

I have worked successfully with a wide range of difficulties. Nothing is more important than developing a warm, compassionate relationship with someone you can trust

serenePomegranate15
Sometimes even when everything is going right in your world, it's still so hard to be present in the moment and happy, especially when your life has many many components between social, family, jobs,school, and all the other things that come up daily. The best thing I find is finding ways to reflect or being more present, maybe everything is going great but something is offsetting the positive. You can't fix a problem if you don't know the problem. Positive thoughts!
trisjlistens
August 3rd, 2015 10:13am
Maybe because something is lacking. Maybe because I don't have the one thing I really like to have.
LittleLemon96
Because you are often looking at the bad side of things, you are not trying hard to look at the bright side of it. It is possible that you are trying hard but there is always something bad that you feel inside you and you do not know what it is precisely, so that it keeps bothering you but you don't really notice it. Try to be honest to yourself and ask it what is wrong with it?
Anonymous
Maybe you have more bad days than good days. There often peoples who see everything bad in life ! But life is great
beautifulFreedom65
There's a subconscious part of you that won't let that feeling go away. Life may be going great but depression is caused by a chemical imbalance in your brain, no reason why this happens....it just does sadly
Anonymous
Sometimes this happens be we are unfulfilled or are not expressing ourselves. This does not have to be something huge like a career choice, it could be something like no longer doing or enjoying, or having, a hobby.
Fraz
There can be a number of causes for it. Usually it's the lack of satisfaction in a certain area or aspect of our lives. Try to identify the niche where you might be lacking and come to terms with it.
Anonymous
Because everything looks great, but it's not, you might be worried about something that could happen, or under a lot of pressure and not realise it.
Anonymous
Sometimes even little things you may not notice can make you feel depressed. When everything seems to be great you may not notice the bad things.
Anonymous
It's because your feelings don't reflect how things "objectively" are. There's nothing shameful about feeling depressed or weak - it's your valid experience.
Anonymous
Depression is a mental illness therefore it doesn't always make sense. I know exactly how you feel, and whilst I may not be scientifically correct, I believe that not all people with depression get it when they're at a bad point in their lives. As long as you keep being as happy as you can, that's all we can ask.
intern
I'm missing something that I had once I miss my memories that I had so I'm still not happy things are going
Griffin15
October 22nd, 2016 1:34am
You never need a reason to feel depressed.
QueenPassion
Well to put myself in your position. Maybe it's cause you're scared that someone or something will mess it up
MysticBelinda
Not being able to get out of a rut, even when things seem to be going great, is a common part of depression. Many sufferers of depression experience this, myself included. Depression is more influenced by internal factors, rather external.
MeghanSmiley
Sometimes, depression arises from internal sources, and not external ones - that's why people surrounded by lots of friends, with a good job and lifestyle can become depressed! If you notice that your depression ebbs and flows, perhaps writing a thought journal would help, so that you can see if something in particular triggers your depression. I've struggled with depression before, and I found that days before exams, I became quite depressed and unmotivated. I'd never considered testing a trigger for my depression, but I did after keeping a thought journal! You can check out the self-help guide for depression from 7 Cups of Tea here -> ( https://www.7cups.com/depression-help-online/ )!
Anonymous
One of probably multiple reasons for this seems to be a chemical imbalance. Just a tiny bit can cause a lot of damage. And they’re helpless. What most don’t realize about many depressed people is they don’t know why they’re depressed either. It’s like someone who has a stroke (but much more subtle). Stroke victims can’t just will themselves to start using their hand again.
Anonymous
Thats normal. Depression does that to me too. The events in our lifes are processed by our brain, and when we're depressed our brain have a hard time processing joy. But it doesn't mean you'll feel this way forever. Stay strong.
Anonymous
Maybe it's just because of some other factor? Maybe it's because you feel you have not achieved things you would like to achieve and things like that?
Anonymous
There are many reasons one may feel depressed even though their life is going great. First of all, different people have different views on what they mean by "life being great". Something may be going great, but other things might not. Nothing is perfect in this world. Therefore, there are people out there that feel depressed.
CurlsAndWhirls4
Depression is often caused by more than simply what is going on externally. There can be hormonal/chemical imbalances that affect your thoughts and you shouldn't feel ashamed to ask your doctor for their opinion.
StarlitLullaby
Depression doesn't solely revolve around your surroundings and what happens in them. Feeling depressed and being depressed are also 2 different things. The feeling of depression always passes, 100%. Depression is prolonged. Now to answer the question, even though everything is going great, it depends how you feel. About things in general or it may even be a root problem. If everything is going great, you may not be. To solve this you need to discover and deal with YOU. No matter what else is happening. You need to explore yourself and try figuring out what it is and if you need a little help doing that, that's perfectly fine.
freshApricot87
Depression only exists in the absence of gratitude, which in turn nourishes happiness. Absence of gratitude doesn't necessarily mean being ungrateful. In my opinion, it took me the unfortunate event of losing my ability to walk for 8 months to learn how happy I was just being able to dance, play football and move around on my own. During those 8 months, there was nothing I wouldn't give to get my legs back working again. As soon as I started walking, then running, then dancing, I was happy - until I let myself start wondering about something else I didn't have. I find it easier when I accept that nothing in this world is mine and all can be taken away. This way, I appreciate it everyday because I don't know when it will disappear. Eventually, I stopped having time to wonder about things that haven't appeared and my life became mostly filled with thoughts of gratitude = happiness = appreciation.
Anonymous
Depression doesn't have to have a reason when it hits you. Depression can come out of the blue, even when you're doing perfectly fine. It usually becomes more of a mind state than a feeling, and it comes and goes very often, even if everything seems to be fine.
GracefulGuidance
December 2nd, 2016 10:32pm
Depression is a serious mental health issue which can affect you even if you are in a good situation. It can be caused by past experiences, which will continue to affect you in your life if untreated.
Anonymous
January 21st, 2017 6:18pm
Sometimes depression is a result of unfortunate events that occured in life, though it doesn't have to be. After all, it's an illness that's caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain. Some people are at greater risk of depression, other are not. Genetics and certain medication can also contribute to the likelihood of it occuring. Disturbed sleep shedule and fatigue can also affect one's wellbeing.
Anonymous
Depression doesn't care about how many friends you have, how well off you are, what your family is like. you could be extremely happy one moment and depressed to the point of not being able to function the next.
RosieGirl333
Sometimes life can become very overwhelming and even when everything is going good you can still have down days, which is completely fine it's how you deal with it that matters.
Anonymous
Depression doesn't always have a clear cause. Sometimes it's genetic or caused by factors out of our control. It can affect anyone, whether their life is good or not.
SidMal007
We live our lives on multiple levels - social, emotional, spiritual, physical etc. If one or more of these dimensions isn't getting satisfied, it will lead to an unbalanced state. Its important to reflect on whats causing the low feelings. You need to look both at your outer and inner world for the answer. Once you find it, take steps to rectify it.