Why do I feel like I am always left out even though everyone around me makes me feel like I'm not?

Lisa Meighan, BSc Psychology (Honours)

Hello, I am Lisa and I work in a person-centred approach mixed with cognitive behavioural therapy. I believe we all have the potential to be the best we can be.

Haley622
Whenever I feel like that, it's usually when I'm comparing myself to the rest of the people I'm with. When this happens, I notice all the similarities between them--whatever makes them click as a group--and contrast them to my own idiosyncrasies, habits, preferences, etc. This makes me feel ostracized even when I may not be in reality.
igetcha
We all have needs and there's no designated person to fulfill them. People who aren't leaving you out might still not have as much time to hang out as you'd like. Also, people tend to play up tiny things on social media. What looks like a party you didn't hear about could just be a couple people running into each other in the hallway. You can still get bored when people around you treat you right. Everyone has a different schedule and needs a different amount of stimulation. Maybe it's time to add something new to your life like a common interest group. Or you could reconnect with people you're losing touch with or spice up your friendships with new adventures. Even if you only have a limited amount of time together, you can pack it with fun adventures.
StarryLove
There is a possibility that you yourself hasnt found your inner peace. Being belonged and happy dont always account to be with everyone. Sometimes, improving self-growth gives you the autonomy of being on top of the obstacles :)
peaceful20
That's how depression is. Subconsciously you know that youre not left out but consciously you think youre alone.
peacefulWarrior10
Either because these people are taking it out so you can sense the reality or because it is just a mindset that you have developed over the years that makes you doubt people no matter what they do. If it the former reason you need to change the set if people you mix up with. If it is the latter one, then you need to first if all love yourself. Because the way you see yourself is exactly the way people see you. Gain self confidence and raise your self esteem. The world loves you.
Anonymous
This could be a sign of depression as depression can make you feel as though you are emotionally alone in the world even though you are physically not
Anonymous
i think it's a physiological thing, loneliness always accompanying sadness! you feel like no one will understand yo because no one has been there,, but believe me it's not true :) so when ever you feel like that just say that it's not true. let your loving ones help you, listen to them, open up to them. or even you can find a listener here or a therapist there. and try to tell yourself it's gonna pass, everything pass, eventually. don't be overwhelmed by your feelings, it's normal, it's common, it happens almost to everyone. open your eyes there are so many people who loves you truly.
Anonymous
If you were sure that everyone around you makes you feel like you're not, why would you feel so? i advice you to fine the environment where you belong. Left out. Is that a very bad thing? in my opinion i wouldn't mind being left out when it comes to specific group. Maybe you feel left out but in the future i am sure you will feel someone who will make you feel not left out.
YouAreNotAloneCliche
This feeling can occur when we feel detached from reality and its surroundings, we feel like we don't fit even though our friends and loved ones try to include us in whatever thing they are taking a part in.