Why do I feel so depressed at night?

Victoria Cook, LCSW

I work to meet all clients where they are - working first to understand their needs and employing the tools needed to help them become their best, most empowered selves.

Michael77
I know for me that my depression is more at the front of my mind when I'm physically spent. There are less distractions at night for me as well, so there's not much else occupying my mind. It takes a lot of emotional energy to get through each day, too, so it would make sense that you'd feel spent then, too, even with plenty of distractions.
TamaHawk
August 22nd, 2015 8:52pm
Depression is normal stage of grief, however, right after is acceptance. Whatever you are feeling right now is ok. Sometimes being able to talk about it can be the reflective therapy that you need. What do you have to lose?
SalParadise
at some point of our lives, we all have stood awake wondering about life and the problems we need to face the following morning; in my opinion, being tired and alone in the middle of the night makes us lose perspective of things, especially after a hard day. the more you stay awake thinking about what makes you sad or mad at night, the worst it is, especially because there is nothing you can do at that hour to solve whatever its wrong. my advice would be to try your best to sleep, since there is nothing you can do at night that you cannot do during the day, and that way you will be rested and with your mind ready to face whatever the challenge is.
Annaxelia
At night you tend to be alone away from everything. During this time your mind tends to "run away" with you leaving you thinking of every possible situation you've been through. This is when you are most vulnerable because you quiet and alone
Anonymous
I'm sorry you're going through a tough time. It may be that your depression is most noticeable at night because that is typically when we are alone with our thoughts. Family and friends are usually asleep and so we can often feel alone, even if we have someone sleeping next to us. Daytimes are filled with distractions, however fleeting; we have work/school, errands, chores, hobbies, the list goes on. Even if we feel unhappy during these activities it is often not until we stop and take a break from out distractions that the true depth of that despair becomes apparent.
Anonymous
It’s normal for me to feel depressed at night and for most people . I have felt like this since I was around 5 years old and I found night time the worst time as I felt alone. I have obviously got over my fear of the dark however you still feel alone and start to think things. Then I’m the morning you feel different and happy and those thoughts are there but you don’t feel that way towards them. You mostly feel better because when you sleep your body self heals it’s self and relaxs meaning you will wake up feeling happy and calm. Then you come to the same time at night and that thought and feeling is back again. Maybe to help with this is to tell someone your thoughts and how you feel about them and how you think events in the past might have caused this as when you tell someone that important heavy feeling towards those thoughts will be gone as they are not as important as when you was keeping it in. If you find it hard to talk to your friends and family about it thats normal and it’s easier to tell a stranger then someone you care about. There are websites and hot lines that you can speak to people on and they won’t judge you but listen and help.
Anonymous
Because at night you are alone it’s your time so you can often feel alone and you have time to think of stuff you done so you can also feel regret or you could just think it get sad about that
Anonymous
You may have trouble sleeping or the regular day ending sadness dont worry about it listen some happy music try the do wah diddy diddy song dance a little make yourself tired and jump in the bed and have a nice sleep.
Midichan
While i am not sure why you are depressed at night. You can always find someone to talk to at night. Sleeping at regular intervals is scientifically proven to help as well.
godsgirlrhizzy
Sometimes the night can be more vulnerable because there are less things to do. Such as being at a park, or school, college etc.
KatHellsing
At night is when our minds are weakest, since we're usually tired. So depression usually attacks when we're weakest, at night. Just like if you're upset or angry, the depression is usually a bit stronger. So it's just because the mind is weak and can't really fight it.
sunkissedearth
Most of us feel depressed at night. And its because at night our activities slow down and our mind tend to drift towards a state of calmness and lonesomeness. Our mind subconsciously starts playing the memories of the past or things affecting us which we have ignored during the day time due to our busy schedule. And all this in turn leads us to a depressed state. However, the intensity varies from person to person depending on the negativity of the past experiences.
Anonymous
There aren't any distractions at night so your mind can go over things that it thinks are particularly bad. You're basically just alone with your thoughts and when depressed that is not a good thing.
Anonymous
Days can be wearing on someone. Being tired at night or just having a hectic day can create a lull in how you're feeling. Some feel upset that the day is over and some because the sun/light is not bringing joy.
Anonymous
At night time you are left with your own thoughts. You keep replaying the bad events over and over!
Justaoifethingss
You're by yourself. You're tired. If you have a mental illness, it can get triggered at this time as you're so tired and alone.
Anonymous
sometimes, my mind goes in crazy circles at night and i try to solve the problems of the world.. starvation, abuse, war... and theres nothing i can do about any of that.. so it just goes on all night. ugh
funnyWind26
What sort of feeling do you get , can you elaborat? Is something in particular making you depressed
IrinaAngel101
I feel depressed at night because I start thinking about my the mistakes that I made that day and then I start thinking about everything that I have messed up on.
IziiJT
At night, the darkness is emphasised and intensified, it becomes trapping. Physically we are plunged into the dark night, and that can emotionally lead us to a place of fear and depression. Usually as we are alone at night, we feel very isolated and as if there is no-one else around us who cares. At night we have more time away from the business of the day, and the thoughts that whirl around in our head have more time to impact us, and space to dwell. The self destructive side of ourselves may begin to critisize us on how we have behaved in the day, what we could of done better, what we did wrong, and so on.
delicateHorizon73
Sometimes it can be lonely at night. I know that at night my thoughts can be overwhelming which makes me depressed but I just have to remember that soon that feeling will go away. If you are feeling depressed at night, try listening to some soft music that can help you sleep.
Anonymous
It might be because the nighttime darkness just washes over you and you forget all bright things. Personally, this happens to me all the time, and I just can't get over anything at night, so I distract myself with something else. It might be the time taking a toll on you.
RavenGoldstone96
December 2nd, 2015 3:06pm
everything is quiet and you are sort of left to be with your own thoughts. you begin to over think and can often find it difficult to sleep due to all of these feelings
MsMiracle
It's just your emotions, you've probably just going through a hard time which probably led to you being depressed
ashtonlucker
You might be thinking about something bad that's happened in your past, or something that you feel you're failing it, or just something negative. It could even be a person who just brings that negative energy in your life and makes you feel stressed or worn out.
Anonymous
I think it's common to feel more depressed at night. During the day we have distractions from our thoughts because of the activity of other people. you have all the time in the world to think, so you might think of depressing thoughts. It happens sometimes to me too so your not the only one.
Anonymous
Cause you feel lonely and you dont want to be lonely in the daytime or night. Its hard to explain ask a website or a someone you feel trusted.
Anonymous
January 22nd, 2016 5:38pm
At night, you're brain replays so many memories, and is most awake. So, sometimes the memories you replay could be bad memories, causing you to be upset. Also, if you don't have a partner, you could be lonely as you are lacking someone to hold, cuddle, etc. it's a human instinct to cuddle, and if you're lacking something to cuddle, then you may experience depression. Sometimes, maybe a stuffed animal or pillow to replace this void can work.
Anonymous
The absence of light can cause both doubt and terror on the soul and the spirit, it's only natural that we may need the sign of hope to glitter upon us, which is the light of day, that scatters away all imaginary shadows and fears.
Baileybug
Because during the day you have so many different things going on you don't really have time to think. At night you mostly just relax and your brain starts to think. Most of the time its of stuff you don't really want to think about.