Why do I feel so depressed at night?

Jennifer Grube, LCSW

I am a celebrant of hope & healing touching the lives of thousands of people as they entrust me with their trauma & triumphs. Won't you walk with me to succeed & achieve?

Anonymous
It is when everything become dark, we are alone, there is just silence and we can hear our own mind.
Anonymous
The nights often get lonely. You're alone with your thoughts and especially if you want to sleep and try to relax they all crawl up at once.
AverageGirl05
It may be because the light has gone down so the darkness brings out the bad feeling from inside. At night we tend to thing of things more deeply as we have less of a distraction from everything around us.
Anonymous
People tend to feel more depressed at night because that's a time they are alone. Also they have time to think alone xx
September 2nd, 2015 3:06am
There is an effect that happens to some people when the "sun" goes down at the end of the day. Sometimes this often puts those who suffers from depression in an even more depressed mood and such. Speaking with a healthcare provider, counselor or therapist about your situation will help you to understand more.
sunkissedearth
Most of us feel depressed at night. And its because at night our activities slow down and our mind tend to drift towards a state of calmness and lonesomeness. Our mind subconsciously starts playing the memories of the past or things affecting us which we have ignored during the day time due to our busy schedule. And all this in turn leads us to a depressed state. However, the intensity varies from person to person depending on the negativity of the past experiences.
Trainwreck1998
Night time is commonly associated with cranky and grouchy feelings. It could be various reasons for feeling depressed during late hours: your body telling you it needs to sleep, or even feeling a lack of companionship. A suggestion to truly understand this feeling is to be more aware of what differs from the a.m. to the p.m.
amazingCreature23
That's when you are alone & its so quiet that you start to think of all things you wanted to forget.
MisterxXxAxXx
I think it's common to feel more depressed at night. During the day we have distractions from our thoughts because of the activity of other people. then at night, you have all the time in the world to think, so you might think of depressing thoughts
Anonymous
Night time is usually a very quiet time. It leaves us alone with our thoughts. Especially when we're at a challenging stage in our lives, these quiet moments can make our problems seem like giants(when they really aren't). It's important to see where your thoughts go to at night and try to find out where the negative feelings stem from.
facingTheAbyss
Depression can often come up at night when we are encountered with our own aloneness. Sometimes fear may accompany this aloneness. In my own experience, nighttime brings the realization of stillness and quietude: things that my mind resists. We can find out for ourselves what depression might be trying to tell us when we tune into its felt sense in our body, rather than simply running away from it through endless distraction.
Justaoifethingss
You're by yourself. You're tired. If you have a mental illness, it can get triggered at this time as you're so tired and alone.
Anonymous
sometimes, my mind goes in crazy circles at night and i try to solve the problems of the world.. starvation, abuse, war... and theres nothing i can do about any of that.. so it just goes on all night. ugh
funnyWind26
What sort of feeling do you get , can you elaborat? Is something in particular making you depressed
Pablo008
Because when your mind is not distracted by a million different thoughts that is when it starts to dig deep into dark parts and worst memories
Anonymous
Maybe the stress of having to deal with things the next day. doing the same thing over & over again.
Anonymous
You're considering the night your enemy, not your closest friend. Can't say it's not your fauly, really. Nights are nice, especially Icelandic winter nights with auroras.
IrinaAngel101
I feel depressed at night because I start thinking about my the mistakes that I made that day and then I start thinking about everything that I have messed up on.
needpeace84
Because when you go to bed you know that the night will run away while you sleep, and in the morning all your unresolved problems will be waiting for you.
Anonymous
At night is when you really have time to think. Your mind sets to thinking about everything in your life because your are no longer as occupied with day things.
auditrice
During the day time we are busy in chores, in office work or our studies, basically there are many things to keep us distracted and occupied during the day time but at night when we lay our bed and reflect comes all 'whys' and 'hows' without there being much distraction so that how we feel depressed at night more.
Anonymous
During the day, your mind is working, at night your mind has only one thing to think of. In the day you're off dilly dallying and at night you're winding off starting to think so much more.
Anonymous
Maybe you start to feel more depressed in the evenings because you've stopped doing things and its at the front of your mind then.
IziiJT
At night, the darkness is emphasised and intensified, it becomes trapping. Physically we are plunged into the dark night, and that can emotionally lead us to a place of fear and depression. Usually as we are alone at night, we feel very isolated and as if there is no-one else around us who cares. At night we have more time away from the business of the day, and the thoughts that whirl around in our head have more time to impact us, and space to dwell. The self destructive side of ourselves may begin to critisize us on how we have behaved in the day, what we could of done better, what we did wrong, and so on.
Anonymous
that is mainly because at night you are isolated surrounded by darkness, and the feeling you get when you realize that friends come and go and that you are on your own
Anonymous
I think it's common to feel more depressed at night. During the day we have distractions from our thoughts because of the activity of other people.
Anonymous
Night time is when I feel the most upset. Night time is when my thoughts throughout the day catch up to each other and I am suddenly over-whelmed with my thoughts I ignored all day. Night time is also when I am by myself, so it is when I am and feel the most alone. Feeling alone and being over-whelmed with your thoughts can make you feel depressed.
MintyBruh
Might be to do with family or school life, friends anything that is effecting you, maybe try talking to someone about it, like you're parents or a teacher
Anonymous
at night i am lonely and i have more time to think about all the reasons to be sad and thats what makes me depressed at night
ViewFromTheClouds
When we retire to bed, at the end of the day, it's often a time to reflect on whats happened during the day. Especially, when we're lying in bed, in the dark, with nothing to occupy ourselves, we look within, we reflect, and sometimes this can cause us to fall into a depression.