Why do I feel so depressed before my period?

Australia

Raifiel Cyril, Masters in Applied Psychology

Everyone needs a little support from time to time to take the next step. I am here to listen and help you achieve what your heart desires.

TomArtofPeace
Hormones are really really mean. I suggest you go to your doctor and talk about this, many girls get on birth control pills in order to lessen the depression they feel from their period. Please give that try. You deserve to not be depressed, don't be afraid just go and see what happens. It might just change your world for the better.
Bunnylove22
Hormones. Five days before your period you start to feel them go wild. During your period and five days after your period your hormones are very everywhere. Midol should help you.
Sandra42
This is more common in women who drink a lot of caffeine, so cut down on energy drinks, cola and coffee. Also reduce sugar and refined carbohydrates. Instead, eat plenty of vegetables, fish, nuts and seeds. You will see the change.
Jenna
There is this thing called Premenstrual dysmorphic disorder (PMDD) ( a severe form of premenstrual syndrome (PMS). The symptoms of PMDD are similar to those of PMS but are severe enough to interfere with work, social activities, and relationships.) that could possibly be the culprit. However, I'm not a doctor so I can't say it is that, but you can do more research about it and even talk to your GP if you're comfortable to.
Lauryn22
Periods cause a big change in your hormones levels which can affect your emotions, and some people experience this more than others. These hormones work for up to a week before your period starts, and so your changed hormone levels can affect your emotions for in this time too. These hormone levels and changed emotions cause different kinds of moods, and one of these can be the feeling of sadness, or depression. Its all down to your hormones, and how your period affects them.
Anonymous
Don't worry about it. its a biological thing You are still good you just don't have to worry about it, Some girls feel depression before the ovulation. But its a normal thing
Anonymous
It happens to me too to experience a sudden wave of deep sadness before getting my periods... it doesn't make it fade away but it helps knowing that it is just a temporary situation passing thorugh due to hormone changes in my body... I am very sensitive to it and experience it strongly, but I now know... this too will pass... I just have to be patient and take care of myself at best
Anonymous
Your hormones change before, during, and after your period. The feelings of depression could be caused by a lack of dopamine, caused by the change in your hormones before your period starts. Thats the short verison, anyway.
Anonymous
Hormones! The rush of hormones messes with your moods and usually not in a good way because your insides are getting ready to rip apart and bleed. You're missing a lot of minerals because of the bleeding- which makes you feel sluggish, or uncomfortable, or powerless- and when your body is unhappy you are unhappy.
CepheiStar
This is likely caused by a change in your hormones during your menstrual cycle. This is probably an issue you should consult your doctor on as it might be possible to lessen those types of symptoms.
trisjlistens
I'm not really sure of the explanation but I think every girls go through a huge and fast roller coaster of emotions before and during the period.
trashcat
The body probably releases hormones which make you feel sad. A lot of women experience bad mood and ( also random) sadness or depressing feelings before their period.
heycrysteezy
Sometimes the hormonal changes/activity that happen during that time can make our brains go haywire. But as long as you're aware of it, you can find ways to cope with it and handle it accordingly. Being able to identify what the problem is and when can really help with your progress.
LondynRose
Your hormones are finding it hard to balance at this time. You can try doing something that releases the natural hormone that makes you feel happy for example when you exercise more is released or even some chocolates have this hormone in it.
courageleadstonewlife
In the days leading up to your period you are secreting progesterone which helps your body make cortisol, a hormone that is higher in people who are experiencing stress. If you already have situations that are causing you to be stressed this can lead to an excess of cortisol in your system. This can cause irritability, depression, and the desire to be comforted.
Anonymous
That's a natural symptom of PMS and it's not fun, but it just means that your body is working correctly!
jakfullofwandering
It's common to feel depressed before a period because of the fluctuation of hormones and the shift of your bodies chemistry.
HopeBehindtheVeil23
This is a symptom of PMS - which occurs due hormonal changes triggered by ovulation process. Ways to cope would be to ensure you get enough exercise, eat well and sleep enough. Indulging in some dark chocolate and luxurious baths can help your mood a bit as well.
R3ds
It could be Premenstrual dysphoric disorder. Most women with PMS find their symptoms uncomfortable, a small percentage have symptoms that are severe enough to stop them living their normal lives. This is the result of a more intense type of PMS known as premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD).
Anonymous
It could most likely be PMS, due to the fluctuation of your hormones.. Perfectly natural that time of month, happens to me every time. I suggest practising some self-care and being kind to yourself during this time :)
LuminousMeadow
When you are experiencing your period your bodies hormones are different than they are at any other time. This can affect your moods & mental stability. Some people even have medical conditions where their periods affect them so badly that medication is necessary for them to be able to get through that time of the month. Many people are affected with depression when they have their period so you are not alone.
Anonymous
Because it is a hard time for any girl and for hormonal activites you know. But it is normal. Try tobe comfortable
futurerelevance
Your body is going through a lot of changes as it moves through your cycle. Just remember that you may be feeling depressed because of your hormones, and that it will pass. Try to take care of yourself when this happens.
benevolentSpring21
I've no idea, but so do I! Obviously its a hormone mix up, but that's not much consolation, is it? Things that help me are eating and drinking well ( which takes discipline because I lose my appetite), practicing mindfulness (all month round) and Vit C supplements for some reason. Knowing its just the hormones and will soon pass helps if I realise that's whats happening. Keeping a calendar helps some with that.
Anonymous
I feel depressed because I feel like the whole world is against me and that nothing will ever work out but it is normal. It is just your hormones fluctuating. Don't worry about it! It is very normal for this to happen. My mom got depressed before her period too.
Anonymous
This may be due to a rise of hormones or hormonal changes which makes you feel more extreme versions of emotion.
Midichan
Usually it depends on the person personally i know i am faster to get annoyed and i yell at my friends. Don't worry it happens to every girl. (i'm not a guy so i can't speak for them). And it's completely natural. But if you are feeling depression whether before your period or just at a random day of the week. It's okay to talk to people here on 7 cups of tea. There's always somebody willing to listen.
Anonymous
Right before the menstrual cycle the hormones increases causing the body to be become more sensitive, so emotions also would tend to highten and you would become more emotional at that time.
heartsNcupcakes
Before your period your body goes trough tons of hormonal/chemical changes. So it can decrease the serotonin and heighten depression or anxiety.
Anonymous
August 22nd, 2015 8:19pm
Maybe because of the mood swings. Like some people get really angry or upset before it. Some people get depressed. So it might just me mood swings. It's normal, but if you see it as a problem, then I would suggest seeing a doctor about it.