Why do I feel so inferior and worthless and useless all the time?

★ This question about Depression was starred by a moderator on 5/12/2016.

Lindsay Simon, LMFT

I work from a holistic perspective to help my clients heal from various mental, emotional, and relationship problems. My style is direct,honest, supportive, and nonjudgmental.

goldenLight64
You may feel this way because of the way you have been treated in the past. A pattern has been set in your mind and you have to break it. Do things to help yourself. Acknowledge your accomplishments, Practice talking positively about yourself - out loud, give back to your community or friends and family by doing things for others - you'll feel good about it, write down things your grateful for - try to do that every day to remind you of the positive parts in your life. You can recondition yourself. You can break this cycle.
SalParadise
you have lived with yourself all along, every hour of every day. so every single mistake, every single bad time, you have been there to witness it, so of course at first sight you may seem to have made more mistakes than all the people you know altogether. another fact is, that even if you are smiling on the outside, you always know when things are going bad for you. its impossible to know what is going through everybody else's head, but just as our mistakes seem so big in our lives, it may not appear that way in other's eyes. give yourself a chance, you never know how much a person may be needing your company or how important you may actually be for them;
Anonymous
Stop measuring your value on someone else's inability to see it. Why be someone else when you can be you? You're one of a kind, irreplaceable, and impossible to replicate. Do you know what that means? You're priceless. No amount of gold or money can ever match you, because no one on the planet's history or future will be just like you. So stop hating your beautiful amazing perfections and imperfections because without those quirks you wouldn't be you. Be confident and love who you are. Smile. It will draw people in.
FirmThoughts
January 2nd, 2016 5:44pm
Simple, because you don't feel any appreciation from anyone. Particularly love, Inferiority is always present if someone isn't being recognized or known. But if you'll just widen your understanding, you will realize that inferiority is just a characteristic that our mind's generating. Therefore, it is just the state of mind that gives us the idea that we have no purpose at all but in due time if you found happiness, you'll be motivated to pursue something that you love again.
Anonymous
This is the kind of question that someone--hopefully a health professional--would need more information to answer. You may be depressed, or someone may have been bullying or abusing you, or you may have life circumstances that are very overwhelming and discouraging, or you may even have some kind of physical illness that causes the symptoms of depression.
DexterKMScobee
Well, I can say one thing. It's not because of your heart. It's your mind. See, your mind likes to play tricks on you. Make you believe unbelievable things. You are amazing. Take control of your mind and thoughts. I know you can.
Airemu
This may be because you still haven't found what you want do in future and doesn't love the things you are doing now.
paperCrane15
We all live in a society and contact with other people every day. Everyone is trying to do his or her best to achieve the results they want by doing things they have to or want to do like studies, work e t.c. So there is no way we can ignore those people who are around us, we see them, talk to them and very often we compare ourselves with them, sometimes even without paying attention to it (like automatically). And when we look at them, we can have some thoughts like: "These person is better than me" or "He or her is so talented / clever / looks so happy / has a lot of friends" e t.c. So, by comparing ourselves with others we start to feel bad, or even worthless. We might think that we're not as good as these people surrounding us. The main thing here is that every single person has his or her own worries, limitations and complexes. And those who you compare with yourself can think the same way as you do by looking at you and feeling not good enough as they want to be.
HelpWisely
One of the main reasons could be that you are always comparing yourself, your success, your abilities, your looks, etc with others like your friends or co-workers and the result is that you never feel that you can match up to them. This results is your being hard on youself, putting yourself down and feeling the negative aspects of yourself instead of accepting yourself and loving and discovering who you really are.
specialOcean14
Don't worry. I understand that normally for a person to feel inferior and worthless, they must have been surrounded by people who have bullied them, put them down and ill treated them. I feel the past experiences in life were bitter and has taken a toll on the individual's self esteem or self worth. It has to do with the environment. I feel you are judging yourself harshly. you think you have not achieved anything in life and you compare yourself to others. I would love you to do things that will boost your self esteem. I can help you with that .
Anonymous
You probably feel that way because you are depressed. You are not useless. There is hope, stay strong.
SolomLovesyou
I used to feel like this whenever I don't feel loved, I tried to find new friends and a GF, this helped me very much and made me feel that I'm needed and wanted. I also started adding more useful activities in my life, like helping people out here on 7cups. Made me feel much better all that.
Anonymous
I often feel inferior and worthless when I'm around people who are hurtful to me. When I notice that I'm feeling this way, I try to step back and decide is this me? or is this what others are saying to me? If it's me, I try to change things up. If it's because I'm listening to others, I often step away from those people for a while.
MissSatan
I feel that way because I thought I'd been fighting so long for an impossible goal, but I couldn't give up. I was afraid of giving up. I wanted to continue forward, but I thought that I was reaching for a goal that was never there. I felt like no matter how hard I tried, nothing would ever change.
GoodVibes8
I'm really sorry you feel that way! Lack of self esteem is a very common symptom of depression. You can start by trying to identify what's causing your feelings. It could be internal (depression) or it could be an external source. What thoughts do you have when you're feeling like this? When do you usually experience these feelings? Answering those questions for yourself is a good start to figuring out your triggers, or what specific things/people cause you to feel this way. Good luck!
Esmeralda1
September 2nd, 2015 4:56am
There's maybe a current memory that happened in the past that you can't overcome.Maybe because you're isolating yourself from those who would anything for you.To your loved ones,You're the person that they would do anything for.You are not worthless nor useless..,None is.
Anonymous
It's probely cause of past experience and you might have depression which can cause these kind of feelings
Anonymous
Your brain is trying to feed you lies. Don't let it! Remain positive and strong in who you are as a person! You are worthy ot love and life!
Anonymous
Maybe you need to be involved with something you like. Sometimes whenever you're left alone with your thoughts it can lead you to this kind of thing. Try doing something that makes you feel good, that makes you feel worthy and useful. Try surrounding yourself with great friends and positivity.
Anonymous
We tend to compare ourselves to other people. We are all different, and that's why we are never going to have the same things other people have, or why we aren't going to do, think, behave like them. We think it's our fault we are not like them, but, what's the problem about being jus different? I think our differnces are magical
Kash
I think at some point we all feel inferior and we all have our self doubts. It's very natural to feel that way but what it shouldn't do is make you completely blind of you're worth here. Nobody's worthless. We all have the power to change for the better and to contribute in this world. And you are not an exception. Stay strong, dear.
EmmaCanHelp
Maybe these feelings comes out from less achievement and wasting time, try to do something makes you feel successful person because you're no different than any other successful person alive !
frazzledtodazzled
We all experience feelings of inferiority and worthlessness from time to time. Even though our feelings are completely real to us sometimes what we feel is not the truth. It's important to know that no one is a worthless person and we are all important for different reasons.
Justaoifethingss
It depends on the situation. If you have a mental illness, it's possible that it feeds you lies, like that you're inferior, worthless and useless. Toxic relationships can also do this to you. Know that both are lying and that you're amazing
Ginieboops
There are a lot of reasons for this, over thinking, chemical imbalance, over acting per frontal cortex, or the way people have been treating you, to figure this out it'll help to talk through the feeling and why and when they came up.
Azil90
This happens because we always push ourselves so hard. We are forgiving to others because we want to love them and feel loved in return, but that kind of compassion goes away when we look at ourselves. We always expect our best side to show up, which of course isn't always the case. We are only human, after all.
dalya123
You may feel this way because of past experiences that created a pattern which caused you to feel this way, and another thing is you try to make people happy but they don't show that they are happy and that they appreciate you so you feel this way. So to prevent this, try to acknowledge your accomplishments and try to surround yourself with people who make you feel happy and appreciated not the people who make you sad, unappreciated and insecure. Wake up everyday and be grateful and just enjoy your life
Anonymous
It's okay :). Everyone gone through this part in their lives. Stay happy becuase someone loves you :).
empathicLove21
when you dont indulge into things that interest you and make you do better you feel inferior and useless. Love yourself and the world will love you back. Yes it is true. Its only when you discover yourself do you see your worth. till the time you dont figure that and make yourself happy instead of constantly proving things to others you wont reach a level of self satisfaction and self esteem that is beyond evrything else that actually doesnt matter.
calmJoy47
Everybody has negative thoughts about them self. There are many reasons for this, but everyone has the choice as to how much power we give these thoughts. When we identify with our negative thoughts, in a sense we BECOME those thoughts. When we tell our self positive thoughts we eventually can BECOME those as well. Sometimes this takes practice or the help of another person to get the ball rolling, but it is well worth it in the end.