Depression is not picky. Men, women, rich, poor. No one is immune to it. Unfortunately depression fuels itself through negative thoughts and pretty soon you are not just thinking about what triggered you, now you are spiraling, going round and round in your head about every other thing that has ever gone wrong in your life. Depression Monster wins again. Recognizing that deppression fuels itself through negative thoughts can help us fight off some of those bad thoughts. But some action is required because sitting in your room, staying in bed, not going to work, laying on the couch, isolating, pulling the covers up over your head…these are the things Depression wants you to do. Because when you give in to it, more and more negative thoughts spin round and round in your head and instead of feeling better, you feel worse; even about things you weren’t even thinking about in the first place.
SOLUTION🤔🤔? Get out of your head. Get out of your bed. I know you don’t feel like it but changing scenery, getting new air, distracting yourself, will help reset your mind and thoughts. Some people say imagine hitting the PAUSE button. Stop those negative thoughts. When you feel like closing in, giving in to that feeling actually makes it worse not better.
Some simple ideas:
• Get in the sun, vitamin D helps
• Go outside for fresh air, breathe
• Take a warm shower, relax
• Exercise. Causes the chemical endorphin to release, natural medicine.
• Write it down, type it up. This uses a different part of your brain and the process moves it out.
• Seek medical help like a therapist
• Talk to someone. Just like above, the venting gets it out.
• Help someone. Focusing on someone else can help reduce your over-thinking
• Pray, take a deep breathe, visualization
• Watch a HAPPY or FUNNY 😁 movie; go to a movie, read a book. Allows you to get into a story line, shifts gears.
Never give up trying to fight this battle. Depression often feels like a loss of control, powerlessness, and one way to fight back is to find things you CAN be in control of and take charge. Don’t feed that Depression Monster, let’s starve him out! 😁😁🌷🌷