Why do these people even try to be friends with me?

South Africa

Lisa De Regt, BSc Psychology (Honours)

Hello, I am Lisa and I work in a person-centred approach mixed with cognitive behavioural therapy. I believe we all have the potential to be the best we can be.

Anonymous
To pick someone to be your friend isn't easy and isn't for anyone! There must be something special about you beautiful in your soul, thats why people try to be friends with you. :)
Anonymous
March 2nd, 2015 2:25am
The fact that there are people wanting to be friends with you, says a lot about you, they must see some good character traits, interesting aspects or something admirable in you.
Anonymous
Sometimes it can feel alien to us to have people see value in us when we don't see it in ourselves. At those times it has been important to me to surround myself with people whose judgments I trust. That way I can say to myself "Would X actually lie to me? Would s/he totally misjudge me?" When I realize that I value that person it becomes easier to believe that they must value me for a valid reason.
Zenforever2
Maybe they try to be friends with you because you're a lovely person and they care :) So let people in, you never know who you might meet
Allen39
Because you're worth it. When people try to be friends with you, it's usually because they find one or more of your qualities attractive. An effort to be friends is a compliment all wrapped up in really good gift wrap. And maybe you're just an awesome person. I'd want to be friends with you, too :)
faintlyglowing
If that is so, then it means you are worth the friendship. You shouldn't doubt them if they're the ones trying to approach you because it means they see a potential friendship in you and they are willing to reach out. Open up to them, but never truly opening up as in, leave a little for yourself before you're sure you can really trust them.
Carolinelovesyouuuu
Because you're beautiful. And those friends love you for you're personality. It's kind of a compliment actually! Different people like others for their traits, so by them becoming friends with you, think of it like them saying, "hey you're super funny so I'm going to be friends with you" or "you're really smart, let's be friends" etc.
Theoneguywholistens
Most people are quite selfish. They might want your "popularity", money who knows. Maybe they want to hurt you and be fake friends. There are plenty of reasons. You should always approach these people with caution
CoffeeTeaAndHonesty
It isn't uncommon for us to be our own worst critics. While it might make no sense to us, that doesn't mean we should discredit the people who want to be our friends, because if they do, chances are there must be something about you that is inherently good and they like.
Theodora
Because youre a great,wonderful and kind person and they want you as their friend because of all your nice qualities
Anonymous
Sometimes people can see the good in you, even if you can't see it yourself, and maybe they can see you need help and just want to try to help you
Millichidulinas
Because you're a valid person and everyone wants to talk with you. If someone wants to be your friend trust him/her and try to love yourself.
MilesFides
Maybe because they see something in you that you overlook. The reason for this might be your own insecurity. People often tend to only see the negative things in themselfs and don't even dare to believe that they might actually be a wonderful person. That's why they can't believe or trust others that see exactly that. Every person is special and every person is wonderful in their own way. They might just not realize this. It's even more important to detect that. And the first step to see that is daring. Dare to believe that you are someone special. Someone other people like to be around with.
Anonymous
They try to become friends with you as they show concern and would like to understand you. Being friends with you is the easiest way to understand what you're going through and possibly help you get through it. Although it may seem like they help you because they pity you, realise that you cannot do this alone. Talking with friends may put you at ease, and help you get through your struggles.
Anonymous
If they are trying to be friends with you than they think you are approachable and want someone to hang out with them no matter what and their seeing if you would like that.
gloriousPudding18
Because they like you. You are more loved then you know. Don't be so hard on yourself. These people probably just enjoy your company.