Why does being depressed feel comforting to me?

Hannah Caradonna, MSW, RCSW (RCC #11330)

Social Worker

I offer a warm and non-judgmental space for you to work through your problems. I can help you with anxiety, disordered eating, depression, relationship problems and more.

CheriiC
Sometimes we find comfort in the things which are familiar to us. If you've been struggling with depression for a long time, feelings outside of that can feel foreign and uncomfortable. It's important, however, to recognise that the comfort is just familiarity and that it is not actually having a positive benefit on your well-being. It can be scary to challenge your depression and to try and combat it but if you take small steps to bring positivity into your life you will start to feel better bit by bit and the more you familiarise yourself with that positivity the less inclined you will feel to hold on to your depression.
15Kenzi
The depression also feeds on our feelings of unworthiness and whispers to us that it is a part of us and that without it we cannot survive. Of course, it is lying but those feelings and thoughts feel so real and it is all we know when we are in that deep dark well. Depression also tells us that we should just curl up, give up and hide. No responsibilities, no future, no productivity. Just hide from the world in that dark, wet blanket. Getting rid of depression feels like a great risk. I can tell you from experience that it is worth the risk. It takes a great deal of work to get out of depression but it can be done. I know. I did it and I have helped hundreds of others get out of it as well. Depression is a liar. It always lies. It makes you feel comfortable but that too is a lie. Depression is not comfortable. It is pain, anguish, fear, anxiety, anger, loneliness, loss, sadness and a dark, bottomless pit. You deserve much better. You can get out of this. And you deserve to be happy. -kenzi xoxoxoxo