Why does nobody believe I'm depressed?

Meredith Seltzer, LPC

The therapeutic relationship can assist you in accomplishing your goals and clarifying your wants and needs. As a skilled counselor and therapist I will help you along the way

Aggie96
December 23rd, 2015 8:29pm
For people that have never experienced it, it's a hard thing to grasp. They understand sadness and such, but they have never been in that hole before. They've never experienced the despair, the hopelessness, and the unreal lack of motivation.
iouty
December 23rd, 2015 10:12pm
Nobody believes you are depressed because you may not be as open with them emotionally as you are with yourself.
Anonymous
Depression is a hidden illness . There are no physical symptoms ( although there are often behavioural changes ) . Because it cannot be seen in the way that physical illnesses can , it is sadly very often overlooked . People may disbelieve in depression and think someone with it is just moody lazy etc . It is a hard illness to understand without personal experience of it . It is very real though and can be extremely hard to cope with and very debilitating .
socialloner11
i think depression is still thought of somehow as not a serious disease .. plus the most dangerous thing about it is that it's not spotted easily
mada
its because they don't understand you. depression is something which is hard to explain and hard to understand. it can only be understood when it is experienced.
dreamaboutme
Maybe because you put quite an act and such a bright smile on your face all the time, that it seems to completely hide your crestfallen feelings.
dreamFireworks27
There is a stigma still unfortunately around mental illness, so people find it hard to see that there is something wrong with you when they have not experienced it themselves.
ImaginativeBond
Trying to have love, some people don't experience trauma to understand your love. Just be yourself..
King0fclubs
It could that people sometimes only see what they want to see and maybe they don't want to deal with you because people can be cruel like that at times but, not here.
TimoneandPumba
Depression isn't something that can be visible to everyone. No one knows everyone's entire life experience, but denial can sometimes play a role for parents. "I've given my child everything, there's no way they can be depressed", overlooking the fact that there are external factors in play. Others mistakenly believe that depression is "just a phase" and that uttering simple phrases like cheer up or turn that frown upside down will magically cure depression. I'm sorry that no one seems to be taking you seriously, but please try to reach out to more (qualified) people and get help. Depression is serious and it's hard to deal with by yourself. Sit down with your parents and try to get them to understand what's going on with you, give them some analogies as to how you're feeling or even if you yourself don't understand just try to explain it the best you can. If you're a minor, sadly your parents are the gatekeepers to medicine and health- best case scenario is having them on board with you. If you are an adult I URGE you to please seek help with someone who can help you ( a psychiatrist). Treat mental health just the same as physical health.
TheBlueLabyrinth
First off I want to acknowledge that this can feel so very invalidating and hurtful, when you need support the most. A reason for this occurring may be that it is challenging for people to acknowledge that someone is depressed because people may be avoiding the pain that comes with knowing that you are hurting, or they are avoiding the pain of knowing of their own depression. People unconsciously and/or consciously try to avoid things generally in order to feel like the world they know is OK, safe, and predictable, and so they may invalidate your experience, which doesn't make it any less painful. An explanation, not an excuse.
Anonymous
If you're depressed, you're depressed, it has nothing to do with others. Personally, my depression fluctuates, and I hide it. I've learned to cope through art, music, writing, and roleplay. I am friends with a few other people that I would've never known were depressed and we have set up a support group.
Anonymous
Usually, people who say this are those who haven't gone through depression yet or are just really apathetic.
DelightfulGalaxies
People think depression is a specific set of extreme signs of "depression". Depression isn't specific signs, it can range from not wanting to eat to eating too much, Always watching tv or never watching tv.
ashade77
Sometimes we feel depressed and believe nobody around us can understand. The reason is because unless you've had depression before, its hard to grasp the concept of what it means.
Anonymous
Sometimes people don't believe that another person is depressed for three reasons. One - Sometimes people think that a person is pretending to be depressed so that they can feel bad for them. That can be one reason. Two - When you tell a friend that you are depressed they may not believe you because they are probably thinking to themselves "This can't be true. This person is always happy ..." They don't expect they're best friend to be feeling that. Or Three - They simply don't want to believe it. Some people just don't want to acept that somebody is depressed.
Anonymous
because people will never understand what you're going through or your problems seems nothing important to them or maybe you are stressing over small things
Anonymous
Some people don't understand the signs and like to play doctor. They know a small bit of info on the subject and think if you're not showing all the signs they know of then something else is wrong. If you are showing all the signs they accuse you of begging for attending. People believe what they want for their own selfish reasons.
Anonymous
I think it's because when you're depressed you feel so much pain and you don't want others to feel that pain because you know how tough it is. So when you tell someone they're normally shocked or they don't believe.
Anonymous
There is a stigma that is still very strong, that depression is a weakness. But it is a chemical imbalance of the brain, scientifically proven.
BatWings89
January 1st, 2016 7:23pm
Many people have a hard time to understand and see things which go on in somebody others mind. We have been taught to be sceptical, that people lie so they are skeptic. It is not your job to raise awareness, but if you wanted you could show your loved ones etc. information about depression, like the guide here on 7 cups of tea, so they can understand, that depression is more than just sadness. There are many good articles out there too. People are often skeptical or even downright unbelieving when it comes to things they do not know.
Anonymous
January 1st, 2016 8:04pm
Because nowadays being "different" is mainstream, lot of young people act like they're depressed because is cool, they like posting grunge-depressive stuff on their blogs. That's why nobody believe you, you may just be one of the other fakes
HakunaMatata2k
January 2nd, 2016 5:10am
A lot of people think that you can have a depressive phase or that you may just be seeking for attention and what you're experiencing is just sadness where as in reality the truth is that what you're experiencing is very real and that they are just ignorant on the topic and have not experienced or dealt with some that suffers from it themselves.
ColorfulBlue99
January 2nd, 2016 5:15am
Many have different definition for depression. Some thinks depression is sorrow. Others think it's suicidal thought.
Anonymous
January 2nd, 2016 7:04am
In my experience,they didn't believe me because they thought I was faking it for attention and so I wouldn't have to do homework (my grades were going down because I had no motivation to do homework,or if I did do it I would think "what's the point of turning it in? I'll just end up getting all of the answers wrong"). . So they could just think it's a ploy for attention.
incrediblePurple91
January 2nd, 2016 11:11am
Sometimes it hard for those who love you to accept the fact that you may not be as happy as you once were. Personally, I had a lot of negative experiences with my parents about my depression and anxiety. When I turned 18, I sought help myself and it was discovered that I was Type 2 Bipolar. My parents immediately regretted their decision of not taking me to see a doctor when I first began recognizing that there was a problem. This was hard on them and myself. Sometimes you need to be firm and strict with those around you to let them know that this is serious and it is not a "phase" of gloominess or anything else. Urge those around you to research and accept the things that may be going on with you, and seek professional help if you believe it is necessary!
Anonymous
January 2nd, 2016 6:38pm
It depends on how people see others as depressed. They have their own point of view of what depression is or what depression look like or what depression will do to the one suffering of it.
Anonymous
January 3rd, 2016 6:49am
I'm on the younger side of life, being 15 and all, and I tend to act positively when around people.
whimsicalMoment68
January 3rd, 2016 11:45am
Because the majority of people think depression is all about sad and that's all , when the truth , it's not, it's way more than that, so people will assume that you are okay if you aren't sad
Anonymous
Because they have not been through it, if they have been through it, then they would feel the same way as you