Why does nobody believe I'm depressed?

Meredith Seltzer, LPC

The therapeutic relationship can assist you in accomplishing your goals and clarifying your wants and needs. As a skilled counselor and therapist I will help you along the way

Yourfairygodbro
Sometimes other people and their impressions of you are confusing. Thinking in black and white is unfair since there are likely some people who would believe you. Sometimes, neglecting a problem just because it's not bad enough could be the case.
Anonymous
Basically it comes down to a person looking fine on the outside, walking and talking like a normal person. Feelings are invisible, and it's a very subjective interpretation, since humans have free will. This is why people say "snap out of it" and "think positive", they believe it's a will power thing. They lack understanding of what depression actually is. They equate it with just a really bad case of the "blues", or feeling really down, or maybe even profound sadness. The fact of the matter is, it's a whole different entity.
healingParadise90
Because the oublic has got a misconception of depression. Classifying it under one category. If you show minor, self, social ect depression they will say you dont know depression. The public knows major depression
Anonymous
Majority of the time it's not believing, it's accepting that someone has a difficult situation. It's difficult on both ends.
Lotus48
Usually those that don't believe your depressed don't understand or have never experience your situation. Naiveness
Truckerwife08
They are in denial. Some people dont know how to handle depression or they think that youre just making it up. If it were me id go to a psychiatrist to get all the tests done see of there are any other mental health issues. And possibly get meds or some kind of treatment
imaginativepeach897
We live in a narcissistic society, where people usually care about themselves, and to usually care about how people will look at them... However there will be someone who will notice. They usually, don't really know how to approach you..Don't worry. Keep your head up. After the storm there will be peace. In addition you have this website to chat with the few individuals who actually cares.
Reid3020
Some people don't have open minds and don't beleiive in thing's such as mental health and depression, but if you have been diagnosed with depression by a doctor I wouldn't think too much about what other people think. You just need to concentrate on getting yourself better right now.
specialCherry57
Except some people very dumb they know you are depressed and pretend you are not to keep the Peace in their relation with you.
Anonymous
Depressed people learn the art of disguising their pain because they don't want the people they love to worry about them. Even if they're dying inside, they are willing to seem happy and normal to make the the people who revolve around them happy. There are more reasons, but that's one of them.
Anonymous
People often don't understand it. I've heard the sentences "but you don't look depressed","but you have a good life" so many time and I know how annoying it gets. Unfortunately,there is a lot of those people but I've met a lot of people who understood me,so don't worry.
Anonymous
Depression is a complex illness that most people don't understand when they didn't experience it themselves. Only people that suffered from depression or the ones that know a lot about depression are able to understand depression and therefore are able to believe you. Most other people will think it's just some kind of phase that you're in.
EmilyLouie
Sometimes I find that people are confused between depression and general passing sadness. Often depression doesn't manifest outwardly. You may be hiding it so well, that it is hard for people to understand and relate to your situation.
GentleSoul13
"Depressed" is a word that a lot of people use if they are only "sad" and haven't been diagnosed. People that have been diagnosed with depression are more so believed than others that have not been diagnosed yet but have a feeling they may be depressed.
Haniel
That is a problem in our society yet. Depression was discovered late and still there are some people who dont belive it. If you didnt told that you are depressed to anyone in your family or your friends, they just dont know that you are depressed. However, if you did told then, and still, they dont belive, its because they dont know what depression is. But dont be even more worried about it, you can always come here at 7cups and find inspiration and color in your life to finaly talk seriously with your family about your depression, and they will belive in you. Have hope.
Anonymous
Sometimes people who are depressed try to put on the bravest of facades. We try to seem happy even though we really need help. Not many people know much about depression and other mental illnesses so they don't seem to understand that you could be depressed.
thepidgeon
There are still a lot of stigmas around mental health. But there is also a whole wave of knowledge helping to bring light on this matter. Getting informed and sharing those infos can be help both you and those around you to understand depression a little better =)
callum556
Depression is such a misunderstood mental illness, people have a hard time understanding something they can't see. It also doesn't help that the word itself is used so often when it shouldn't be that it has almost started to lose meaning, which is terrible because depression is one of the hardest things for a person to go through.
Anonymous
In my experience, my parents just didn't want to believe I was depressed. I guess because they didn't want their daughter to go through the same things they went through, and they fooled themselves into thinking it was mind over matter. Also, most of us depressed people put on a pretty good facade to seem happy and "normal" at school or work, so when people who don't understand depression hear that we have it, they're likely to just brush it off. Which is dangerous for obvious reasons.
Caitlin7cups
Depression, nowadays has been often been misunderstood for just feeling sad. Try explaining to the people how you're feeling and tell them about your depression, make it clear that it is very difficult to be depressed constantly. But also, if they don't believe you. You don't need them, you want to bring positivity into your life, so try blocking out all the little negative things.
DemetriaJade
Unfortunately, it's usually those who have never been through it, that do not understand. People who have never been depressed find it difficult to believe the condition exists because they have never experienced it first hand, but once you have, you get it.
Anonymous
Because you manage to function in public and when you are alone everything breaks down... its like a mask wearing all day to disguise your feeling
Anonymous
It could be because you are acting happy in order to hide your depression, or maybe it could be because these people are, or have been depressed themselves and think that other people can't possibly be as depressed as them
Happyness7
Some people are still scared and not really accepting that depression is a thing today, it's a big issue.
Anonymous
some people just don't want to believe it because they don't want you to be going though that so they think if they don't believe it its not true.
Crest
Because you're hiding it. Have you told them about it? If so, then are you sure those are the right people?
Dontletyourthoughtshurtyou
Well there could be a number of reasons, when I was in eighth grade I had this friend who I told everything and she never believed me for some reason, it made me mad and really confused but when I ask her about it now she tells me that she was in denial and she didn't want to believe her best friend wasnt happy, you just need to explain that you need to seek help and they may believe you..
Erby
Sometimes, people don't understand why a person would become depressed. There isn't a simple answer for why depression exists, but there's many different causes of it. What might push you into a depressed state, might be something another person can shrug off. Sometimes it's hard to see why a person would be depressed when, from an outside perspective, they seem to have a good life.
bruisedbutnotbroken
Depression is an invisible disease. Suffering from it myself, I find that often times, the ones around us fail to see it because it's so inconspicuous.
dancingnutella
Struggles that arent visibly harming you can be perceived as false, since most people believe that depression isn't as mentally harming as it truly is.