Why don't my family and friends understand that Depression isn't something I can overcome on my own?

Melissa Strauss, LPC

I am client focused and believe everyone has a strength. I feel confident in seeing clients with generalized and social anxiety, depression and relational goals.

Peregrine
August 3rd, 2020 1:51am
Without having struggled with depression, it is hard to imagine just how gripping it can be. Most "issues" family and friends have to deal with are day-to-day problems that can usually be solved in simple ways (e.g. I have a headache so I will take an Ibuprofen and have some water). So, when something abstract and difficult to tackle comes along, such as depression, people tend to assume it is one of those normal problems. That is why you get the sentiments like "just stop being sad" or "work through it." Those are not helpful statements in regard to depression. So much more support is needed for depression, to say anything else belittles the experience of depression.
Anonymous
Perhaps your friends and family lack the knowledge of what depression actually is and how difficult it can be for someone to just "get over" depression. Therefore, maybe you can try your best to educate them and show them that you need their support and need them to be more considerate and empathetic towards your emotions and feelings. Sometimes it's difficult to just get out of bed in the morning. Sometimes you just don't want to do the thing that you used to love and enjoy. That's perfectly okay, and they as your friends and family, need to know and understand that in order to properly support you.
jessh7
Some people don't understand it when they don't go through it. They often compare it to simply just feeling sad because thats what they think it is. When in reality, it is so much more than that. That's why it is so important to talk about mental health so people who have never experienced it know that it is a real and serious thing and so that people struggling with mental health know that they are not alone. There is people to help you, so even if your family doesn't get it, reach out and get the help that you deserve.
Lunasel
November 1st, 2021 7:02pm
Because you're both learning at the same time. I know it's frustrating sometimes, but what is new to you is also new to them. It may take so much patience and so many little chats but when we overcome depression, our families also overcome something new and quite challenging. So, again I know it is really hard to see this from the families or friends perspective when you're really into deep dark depression, but we have to drive them to right path when we can do it. When we seek help for ourselves, we also have to seek help for them, too.