Why don't the coping strategies make my depression go away?

JaNaè Taylor, PhD, LPC

I work to provide culturally tailored services to my clients through support, advocacy, and reflection.

Link22
Listen to music read a book. Writing a song about what's bothering you helps. Try taking deep breaths. Be nice to yourself. Take a bath. Or cook something. Make yourself happy. What makes you smile?
Anonymous
Coping strategies are just that, ways to cope with what cannot be changed. Depression is a mood disorder, and moods can be difficult to change. This is why most professionals use terms like "coping" and "management" rather than "cure." The good news is that moods change. they pass. And unpleasant moods pass more quickly when we accept them rather than fight them.
OnlyMe1993
Because they do not apply to everyone. Everyone is different, has a different mindset and looks differently towards each different problem, therefor everybody needs a different solution for every situation.
Anonymous
Try to count 10 things that you are grateful for. Remind yourself that just like a rainy day, the sun is just behind the clouds.
PosiPotato
It can take some time for practiced coping strategies to become normal life. Don't become impatient, you hard work can and will only pay off!
Anonymous
Coping strategies are not a one-size-fits-all sort of thing. It may depend on what strategies you're trying. There's also the possibly of adding medication to your current therapy. Keep trying until you find something that works!
cordial2394
Sometimes depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain that is permanent and makes a permanent change in brain structure. I'm not qualified to say why this occurs sometimes, just that it does. In this case, like in my case, this is not something situationally based and will not go away with coping strategies. Coping strategies don't hurt, but they aren't enough to keep me stable. In my case, to use the coping strategies effectively, I needed antidepressants and I will need them for the rest of my life, even though some people are able to go on them temporarily and go off. This is not because I "became dependent on the medication." This is because the difference in my brain structure and chemistry was not healed (for whatever reason) by going on the anti depressants and when I go off them, in me, the brain structure and chemical balance goes back to the way it was before I was on medication and I become unstable and parasuicidal regardless of my circumstances, which have all improved unbelievably from when I started. There are several types of depression. If you haven't looked into the Self-Help Guide here on 7Cups I'd look at it between listeners. http://www.7cups.com/depression-help-online/ Please also consider some professional support. I know it is scary, but it can make the difference between a life where you are barely hanging on my the fingernails and one that you are happy to fully participate in.
Anonymous
Sometimes depression is more major than simple unhappiness that everyone experiences. It can't always be cured by squeezing a stress ball or coloring a picture. Discovering the source of your depression and fighting it is the most important thing.
Midichan
Sometimes the strategies are too generic try talking to a professional. Talking to other people and just spilling out your heart on 7 cups of tea helps too
Anonymous
You can be in such a terrible state of mind your usual coping mechanisms won't work. Try to learn a new one, might help.
serialacorn
The coping strategies are to help make it more bearable, but they don't act as a cure for depression. Your depression may never fully go away, but positive coping strategies can help to make it less severe.
RadPanda7
Depression is not just a feeling or state of mind; it's a chemical imbalance in the brain. This means that simply changing the way you think can't make it go away instantly. Its a complex problem that needs to be dealt with with a combination of techniques.
Anonymous
There is no magic wand to make depression go away and there are various factors/reasons for depression. Coping skills help you to manage your depression in a healthy manner, they will not make it go away.
KatieWhite
You might have clinical depression, which means you genetically have low dopamine levels. If so the coping strategies are only there to make it easier to live with but not take it away.
Anonymous
Depression is different in every single person. Some things work and some things can even make it worse. What you have to try and focus on is not trying to make it go away, just trying to make it a little bit more manageable so that it doesn't take over your life. Slowly but surely you will overcome it but it definitely won't happen overnight.
MatthewMurdock
Coping strategies are different for everyone, what works for you might not work for someone else and vice versa, take note of the strategies that do work and use those as much as you can to overcome depression.
Nocturnaldreamer77
Something's work for some people something don't work for others, find something that makes you happy and try to do that with your strategies
Anonymous
Sometimes it is not about removing the depression but rather finding better ways to cope and reduce the symptoms. Using CBT strategies in reframing negative thoughts and mindfulness and relaxation, diet and exercise can all be very beneficial. Part of depression can be all or nothing thinking. I either have to get rid of all my depression, or the strategies are not working. This is not the case. Combatting and improving depression takes time and a multi faceted approach. Patience and self love during the journey is essential, as is good support and positive thinking. Change is a slow burner but so worthwhile pursuing.