Why keep living, what's the use?

Lisa Meighan, BSc Psychology (Honours)

Hello, I am Lisa and I work in a person-centred approach mixed with cognitive behavioural therapy. I believe we all have the potential to be the best we can be.

Anonymous
People often ask that question when they cannot seem to find any purpose or meaning in life. Well, that happens because there isn't any pre defined meaning or purpose of life. Life is a blank canvas, there is nothing to be found there, everything that you want has to be created. That's what they mean when they say, "Find what you love and let it kill you" - you have to find the thing that matter to you and give your life working towards achieving it. The better you get at it, happier you will be and so will be the people around you. People usually come up with a counter-argument, "Nothing really maters and everything is meaningless". Well, the pain that you're feeling, obviously matters because it is forcing you to give up on life, the pain that you're feeling is there for a reason and it does have a meaning. And if you really think about why you're feeling the pain, you somehow already know why it is there and what is causing it. All you have to do is get up and eliminate that reason. Now, the main trouble with that would be that you have to go out of your comfort zone to do that and people don't like being vulnerable. But everything comes at a price, you have to sacrifice something in order to achieve something(be that your comfort zone). But in the pursuit of achieving something you have to know yourself, know what you're good at. As Einstein said, "you cannot judge a fish for its ability to climb a tree" - so know what you're good at(self awareness is a key element for self development), if you're good as a fish(metaphorical example) stop comparing yourself to the Horse. And as long as you know that YOU CAN BE A SHARK AND NO ONE CAN STOP YOU FROM DOING THAT!
Thegreenarrow
Statistically speaking you have a point. Dying has a better outcome than living when we keep the odds of hardships and a certainty of a favourable end. But according to statistics we should have met aliens by now. Why die? What's the point? Whats the need to go into non-existence? By living you atleast have a life, by dying there might be nothing or eternal hell as per your belief.
soulcompany
what if someone else were to ask you the same ? would you tell them it's a waste and maybe further help them by just murdering them ? No, right ? I'm sure you will begin thinking the same i am thinking because you asked me this. What i believe is you have a reason and a purpose, you would never know unless you just Live! Maybe you go walking down the street and you happen to save a persons life that was gonna just walk on a street and get hit. That could be your purpose - to save anothers life. Maybe you need to make a movie that could change the thoughts of your entire country and bring back 'Love' in the homes that lack love. Maybe you are inspired to do works of charity. THere is so much and so much more that needs to be done. It is only when we make our world small to the lives of just ourselves that we end up thinking, why do we keep living.
Jennifer164
All of us need to keep living cause we never know what positive things may happen tomorrow.We are here,a part of this world,so that we can help others and ourselves to have beautiful experiences here in our lives.Set an aim for your life and keep fighting to reach your goal.You sound like you are going through a rough time but don't worry,rough roads always lead to beautiful destinations.And I know that life can't be perfect but it is very beautiful once you start enjoying it.Life is tough dear but so are you!Keep fighting and take care of yourself.
Youleque
Some say that the reasons humans are alive is to become happy. Once they are happy, they never thing about life or death anymore. So, probably, life is a continuous work towards becoming better and happier persons.
Anonymous
your life matters. Every single person has a purpose on this Earth. Your spirit and presence does matter to someone, even if you do not see it directly. Every choice you make will affect someone else's life. People love you even if you can't see it.
ImDom
You must keep living because people care and worry and think about you constantly without you even knowing and you may not feel like it’s true but it is
MilkyHoneyTea
To grow as a human being and understand what you are feeling so even if you never fully overcome it, you can take away a little pain and help others.
Anonymous
April 22nd, 2018 4:45am
There would probably be a lot of answers to this (and my answer is subjective and many answers will be) but Friedrich Nietzsche once summed up that: "Life can be meaningful enough to justify it's suffering" And the idea behind this is that all of the tragedy in your life can be justified with the meaning you can find in your life.
iammarieyournewfriend
Life will give you a lot of experiences - good and bad. These experiences will challenge and sometimes break us. Nobody can protect from that. You have to believe in yourself. Your life is a journey and after a while you discover the reason why you are on earth.
WonJudge
Because there's always a reason for me to keep fighting to be better and be part of the change. When I ran of reason to keep living I look inside and always found the reason and strength to go on. I am weird, imperfect and broken but I am also my own biggest cheerleader.
Anonymous
You can change who you are. Dont let people make you feel worthless. You are special and i love everyone so why cant the rest mwa
ProtagonistThomas
The problem is you haven't found purpose yet, nobody is purposeless its that they simply haven't found why they need to keep waking up. the purpose for those people is to find the purpose, in times like those, life seems meaningless, but its not, you just need to search hard for it
beautifulArrow58
We should live for all those around us. We should live for ourselves and living out lives to the fullest. We should not end it short. Living to make others happy may make you feel good on the inside, making you happy. There's a light at the end of the tunnel.
gracefulPresence64
well life has alot of potential into it, dont take your life at all because it will put hurt on others -- ive lost few people and death is scary and death is sad... if you ever feel this way talk to someone close to you or a suicide hotline we will stand by your side be positive and overcome this - we love and care for you.
HappyGoldenSunShine
Because we only live once! you get one shot in this universe and you're willing to blow it? life can be a cruel b*** sometimes, but if you know how to look at it and where to place yourself... the most beautiful, magical, wondrous things will happen to you.. we keep living because we want to see that one moment that says "it was all worth it! and i would do it 100 times over"
PrettyBasicGuy
Keep living for yourself! Many people will tell you to think of your family and friends but you are the most important! Your struggles and hardships are sacrifices that you make, and you should be using them to improve your life. There are a million answers to the the question the meaning of life, all you have to do is find the answer that you fits you, whether that's family or friends, a hobby, a career, anything at all. It's out there waiting for you! Take each day as it comes and work up one small step each time. Try new exercises, new games, open a new book! Rome wasn't built in a day and you are just as great and complex as it, so it will take time. You can do it, and you should do it for yourself!
rainbowsandunicorns1
I know right? I wonder so often... But after wondering for many years I think I get it. We keep on living because we don't want to let go of the chances we were given. You have the opportunity to find love, friendship and happiness and whether you manage or not, you still do have the opportunity. It would be such a shame to throw all that away. Most people who choose to die suffer from mental illness and are in need of help. It is not your fault, there is nothing you can do about it but stay strong and look for help wherever you can get it.
Tahreem24
Life is very beautiful. We might not realize it since our lives are filled with darkness that has seeped inside our hearts because of the toxicity around us. Life is really beautiful. We have the eyes but we are blinded to the beauty. It is like there's a veil over our eyes that prevents us from seeing the beauty. Look at nature. The beauty that it holds. Start by looking at a plant. See how gracefully it is designed. Look at the leaves, the detail put into it. The branches of veins extending from the midrib outstretching further. Now look at a human. The eyes. the mouth, the fine details. Ponder over how the Creator perfectly designed it.
Murdaigean
Good question. Sadly I'm in the same boat you are. I finally decided to say screw it all and I got myself a VR headset to escape this horrible world entirely whenever I need to, which is every day. This world ceases to exist once I put the VR on and I wear my headphones. It's the only place I feel I have any control over what happens. It helps me forget all of the evil this world keeps spewing out. If that doesn't do it for you try wearing earphones playing nature sounds while wearing a blindfold up you can't see. It won't help you find a reason to live, but it can take you out of the moment so you can forget about life for a while.
Anonymous
There are many reasons and I am concerned that you need more assistance than what I am trained to provide. Please seek help right away from someone you trust or one of our hotlines to get the trained help you are needing. Hang in there and remember that all things change and this too shall pass. There are many reasons to keep living. Even when it feels like there isn’t right now. Times of darkness and hardship is where we do the most work and growth so we can evolve and learn from Our experiences and then we can go on by leading lives in order to help others get through similar tough times.
Popeye33
Every minute of the day gives us the chance to start over and create a new path. Our lives are not perfect but they are meant to be explored and go experience different things. Yu can always try to take a step back to re-evaluate things and find a different angle or approach in a situation. Life is full of mistakes and wrong turns but that's also a new way of learning and trying a different path. Every life is precious and deserves a chance. When things get rough I just take a step back and breathe and relax.
KayleeVolunteers
Think about the small things in life like smelling wet dew on grass. Reading a book on a stormy day, experiencing a belly laugh. Feeling the warm sun on your skin. Slowly make our way toward bigger things like family and friends that push you to continue. Making a list of all the beautiful things you will be missing. Life is hard, and there never is a clear answer in life, but there are many things to live for; it just may be harder for others. If your really considering suicide, please call the suicide hotline. I also suggest seeking help. Asking for help doesn't make you weak it makes you stronger.
Anonymous
Because you have family, friends, relatives, all your loved ones to be with.Lastly, is to do your purpose here on earth
Anonymous
Life is amazing! You may be in a very dark place right now and I get that. What you need to do is rise up and figure out why your so down and fix that problem. Once you do you will she how amazing life is and you will want to keep going :)
Anonymous
You have so much potential within you. You have people around you who love you, even if you don't know it. So the real question is: why not?
BeAVisionary10
There is so much to live for, there will always be bad times, but theres good too if you program your mind in a positive manner. Push yourself to strive and look at the things you love for meaning, whether they be a person or a hobby.
KaylaWright1125
Because you are important. You're important to so many people. You have a purpose. you have people who care about you and who need you. You have somthing so valuable and precious, a life, something not many people get the chance, as most die young, or are aborted, or miscarried. It saddens me that people ask this question, but i know people go through rough times, just know someone cares.
WonderlandRabbit
I don't know if this will help, but things could be better, but things could also be worse. Someone else out there is going through the same things you are, and by continuing to fight, youre helping that person as well.
Lovingwaterfall2890
People normally live a life anywhere from 75 to 90 years old And depending on your age you're only a fraction of your there imagine waking up one day with a great job and a great family if you want one. Keep living because there's a possibility and small bit of hope that you could wake up one day and have a great life.