Will I ever be able to shut off all of the things going on in my head?

Ken Thom, LPC

I believe that emotional dys-regulation is the underlying cause of all mental health challenges. I help people regulate their emotions and then begin their healing journey

CalmDownJustBreathe
once you get over the stressful thinking and realize it isnt worth thinking about and live your life to the fullest i think you will be able to shut it off. one thing i like to do when i have to much going on in my head is write down everything that is going on in my head and then burn that piece of paper and watch all the ashes float away. it takes alot off my mind.
Dannus
It is only natural for thoughts to float around are head, this is our way of addressing things that worry us. However there are ways to get these thoughts out; this could be by writing a letter to someone which you don't send, writing a poem, a blog post, writing in a diary, or even listening to music can help.
Sacha
Deep inside you know the answer, you just don't know when. It's vital to talk about it with people close to you and try new strategies. Doing the same things and expecting different results, unfortunatly, doesn't work :(. Hope you can feel better soon!! x
Anonymous
No, it's a humanly thing that always happens. We will never be able to shut the stuff off in our head. It is a thing we have to live with forever, in my opinion.
Nymus
Whenever I notice that my mind is trailing off with worries, intrusive thoughts, or simply general restlessness, I take hold of a big pillow, sit down, hug the pillow, and don't get up again until my mind has calmed down. Why does this work? It roots myself in an action - hugging the pillow. It also forces me to pay attention to my thoughts - have they calmed down? And, finally, it forces me to confront these thoughts. Oftentimes, we simply push away thoughts 'for later consideration', but as long as we don't confront them, they will never stop nagging away at our energy and happiness.
Bluebelle13
Probably not, but I've always found that distraction is really the best technique to not pay attention to what is going on inside your head for a while. Whether it's getting lost in a good book, TV show, movie etc, putting on some upbeat music and singing/dancing the bad thoughts away, going for a walk and really focusing on everything around you, calling up a loved one and having a long talk... There are always so many ways to attempt to distract yourself, you just have to know what works best for you!
staywithus787
theres always some ways, listen to music, go to alone places. thats always help. you just have to distract your mind with something.
Anonymous
You will you just have to be able to look past all the bad things and focus on the positive things that are going on in your life.
LisaMarie
No, but you can learn how to get a better control of things whenever you're maybe feeling overwhelmed by things in your life.
Anonymous
Yes. It is difficult, but from my experience it is achievable. Try to focus on the positives in life
Anonymous
If you occupy your mind with something else you find very interesting then yes usually you can :) hope I helped
Itsacrazylifewelive
It is possible but it takes time and practice to silence the voices and worries in your head. Meditation and taking moments of silence to yourself is a start to clearing the mind.
Anonymous
You can, trust me we all can. We just need to develop filters in our mind for each and every thought. We need to realize what is important and what is not. We need to realize what we deserve. Worrying and over thinking won't do any good and won't make things better. If you think things are out of your control then what is the use of thinking about them otherwise if you think you can try and find a solution and i believe there is a solution to everything so just stop worrying about them and instead work to try and find a solution. Cheers :)
Shadowisnotintresting
you will in time trust me. you need to come to terms that what you tell yourself isnt true. if your relay struggling you could try seeing a trained specialist.
charmingDaisy65
Only you can do that... make a list of all the things running around in your head - writing them down helps and will give you something tangible to. work from
Shikamaru42
December 22nd, 2015 3:04am
Probably not. But you can learn to "tame" them, making your thinking more organized and less irritating for you and others. You can also learn to appreciate these things. Thoughts are like little kids screaming for attention. Give each one as much of it as they deserve and raise them to respect each other.
ZeteticElench
Never, My mind will always look for dangers for me and itself and sometimes overreach. I can only observe and love it for it is its nature. I could fight and try to silence it, maybe even overpower it with sensations and distractions. But a way of violence will only generate stronger response.
pumpkinspice3
As long as you are alive, yeeeah probably not. But there is a much better way of looking at it. Think of all the good things that have happened to you even if the situation you are in right now seems hopeless. If it was good before, it will be better again.
Ubby
No, but you can learn to distract yourself and try to focus on positive thoughts. A lot of being anxious has to do with thinking too much. It's actually often a sign of intelligence too.
InvisibleMonster
No I dont believe that you can shut off all the things in your head, Not should you want to, youd end up in a zombie like state, But it can get better and get one thought at a time so it doesnt get overwhelming, that bad thoughts yes, they can be quieted down and gotten rid of by working on learning to quiet them down and replace them with good ones :)
Anonymous
Of course! It just takes time. Meditation is a great way to help. We have things like that here on 7 cups
Anonymous
Unfortunately, your mind will never stopping going and thinking about many things. The only thing you can do is replace the bad things in your mind with positive things.
Anonymous
Short answer: no! But you can teach your mind to say nice things and express the feelings in a genuine and present way. DonĀ“t resist your resistance!
LeonMcLion
Probably yes or probably not, it will always depend on you whether you will do something to distract yourself from all the things going on inside your head or just sit there and wait. However, just sitting there and wait for some miracle won't likely to help you. Always remember that the best anti depressant is action. If you really want to shut off things inside your head, do something that you enjoy or find interesting. If you don't have any hobbies then try to stand up and find one.
Ashiya
You cannot shut off things in your head but you can try and quiet them down a bit via thinking of things on your own or trying to silence it by just thinking of the word "blank". Music can even help distract all that.
Anonymous
I struggle with this as well. Right now, guided meditation and deep breathing are huge helps to me. Distraction sometimes works as well.
Anonymous
It's actually not possible to shut off all the things that goes in our head. Our Brain continuously thinks a lot of things at one point of time and if you want to stop one thought from emerging you are more likely to invite more thoughts. Consider your thoughts as a leaf falling in a flowing river... Just let the leaves fall from the tree and flow in the flowing river... Likewise let your thoughts come and let them flow through you... You will feel more relaxed and calm..
Anonymous
Anything is posible and once you put your all into it you can. If you believe you can do it then you can. You just have to learn how to control what's going on in your head.
PaigeBuju
For me, my negative thinking was disempowered by sharing the thoughts. Talk to a friend, write them down, doing something to release them. I've also been working to retrain my thoughts. A powerful realization I had was that with anxiety and panic, I needed to train my brain to work with me instead of against me.
Liquid27
You need not to shut off all thoughts in your head. You only need to control the thoughts in your head. It's natural to have thoughts that come and go, but what we make of it is how we react to them. If you have a negative thought your body will react to it. However, if your negative thought was decoded using logic and cognitive behavioral therapy. You'll find that your thought isn't so negative, because it's not totally true. Once you see how all the things in your head aren't as negative as you perceive them to be, you will find peace :).