How can I stop the images of the traumatic experience from playing and re-playing through my head constantly?

Jennifer Kind, LPC, CDWF, EPC

LPC

I believe that we are all perfectly imperfect + finding compassion for ourselves + others is the most healing thing we can do.

Dailydaydreama
By attaching new safe memories to the traumatic ones it let's your brain send two messages to your body and can help balance things out so they are not so overwhelming !
DipityEnigma
They usually play through your head because there's no end; there's no answer to your past that you wish you could have had. As the saying goes "coulda, shoulda, woulda". You can't control what happened but you can control your future. You need to mourn about the past, hold no emotions back. The reason you're having these playing over and over is because you're emotionally attached to the past. You need to learn to let go by talking about what happened and go into great detail if need be. You need to get it all out. It's one thing to be thinking something but saying it out-loud, is a totally different matter. I would suggest going to see a counsellor who would be able to give you advice on self-help such as group therapy. They will also be able to get to the root of the problem. Once you lose your emotional attachments, it will seem like it was just one big nightmare; but it will take time and patience. It won't stop straight away but it will do over time. Good luck and all the best.
Lieke
This is a tough question because there is no simple answer to it. Traumatic experiences are often best treated by a professional, in combination with the passage of time. Trained professionals can help you to give the trauma a healthy place within yourself. Quick fixes might include distracting yourself, seeking out friends to talk with (or someone else you can trust) and writing down what happened to you. However, these might not give permanent results.
LilyFlowers
Your body and brain are telling you that the trauma needs to be healed. If you want it to stop, then you need to start the healing process.
LuckyDuke
Actively tinker with those experiences. Though it might be scary to confront yourself with terrible occurrences, writing them down, reflecting them or just asking yourself the right questions might do the trick of finally getting over it. Control the traumata, stop it from controlling you.
carefreeNarwhal88
These images and thoughts is called flashbacks they happen from that horrible experience you got. All you got to do is go through it and not risist cause resisting would make it worse and could overwhelm you more, also when having it just relax and take slow deep breathes just know it's just a flashback so it won't hurt you/you are not getting hurt at that moment. I also recommend you going to a therapist cause they could help you get better and also get rid of these images. I'm so sorry to know you had a bad experience, stay strong dear! :) I hope it gets better soon
ChasingInsomnia
This sounds really rough, and I'm sorry you're experiencing that. Personally, when I found that this was happening to me, I decided to seek therapy. However, another thing that helps me is arranging a spot in my room or house that is very different from where the events took place (mine smells like lavender, and is soft) that I can retreat to to know that the events were in the past.