How to accept that I am deaf/ have a hearing loss?

Monique Bivins, MA, LPC

I have a real passion for helping my clients to overcome life's obstacles . My work with clients is nonjudgmental, supportive, and interactive.

AnimalLover90
One thing you can do is learn American Sign Language. That helps make communication easier (it's more visual). It's best if you learn with someone, but it's ok to learn alone too. Also, look for events in your area and connect with other deaf and hard of hearing people. That way you feel less alone and have people that you can relate to.
silverForest81
Coming to terms to an illness, injury, or disability that is out of your control can be nerve breaking. Having served in the military, unfortunately, I have experienced significant hearing loss. Eventually getting treatment for severe hearing loss can be costly, including numerous doctor's visits and obtaining hearing aids. Accepting your condition is the first step to recovery. Adjustment to civilian life because of your injury can be a process, but with professional help you can find ways for others to help you. Confine in a friend and don't ever give up just because you have a disability.
kindRabbit11
Beethovan was deaf, too! We now live in an age where hearing aids are very affordable and many are so discreet than they're barely visible if at all. So, problem fixed, no?
YourSafeZone
by having self confidence and understanding that it is okay. it is not the end of the world and no one is perfect. we could have hearing problems vision problems speaking problems it's okay we might lose something but gain another thing. you will still enjoy things just like anyone and have amazing opportunities to do things you love and there is a solution for everything. just dont give up.
Anonymous
August 23rd, 2017 12:09am
Being deaf/hard or hearing is nothing to be ashamed of. There are so many sources out there that can help you discover how to accept it and even help you flaunt it. Many people in the Deaf culture will be more than happy to help.
healingMusic73
Try and find people in your local Deaf community, claiming disability as identity can be really helped by seeking out the community around your identy. Talking to people who are going through and have been through similar experiences, and seeing those people thrive with their Deafness can make a huge difference.
Anonymous
You can accept that you are deaf and have hearing loss is by don't feel bad for what you don't have and be grateful for what you do have and just enjoy the life chosen and got created for you because everyone faces challenges everyday it may be different but in the end it depends on what choices you chose and how you are seeing your future if you look it in a negative way it won't get you far if you see the positive anything you desire from impossible will be possible there may be times when you stumble and fall but just get back up and try again.
gentleSun78
Befriend positive people who have got hearing loss. See which positive things they have got despite hearing loss. Imitate them. Many deaf/hard of hearing people accept their condition and do in life very well.
PearBear2121
Being deaf is a wonderful thing. The deaf culture is amazing they are very supportive and can help you accept you for you.
chubbybunny0314
No one is perfect in this world and we all have to accept that we aren't either. Try telling yourself that having hearing loss is not a big deal and there are a lot of other people experiencing the same! :)
Anonymous
Dear, no one is perfect here. Not you, Not me. First, try to accept the fact that no one is perfect. It is impossible for anyone to be perfect from all aspects. Being deaf might be hurtful, but it is not a to feel low. Try to figure out your other talents, your other strength, your other power. Try to think positively. Say it loud " what if I'm deaf? I still have lot to accomplish. Being deaf won't stop me from being me. It is not the end, It is definitely a start for my new phase of life. I'm gonna live a life where people's word not gonna bother me. This is not gonna continue. Maybe I WILL find a way to get hearing sense, or I'll try any machineries. So that, I can overcome this problem".. Hope it will help you.
TheCup5893
Embrace your own language. Embrace the grace in your gestures. Your own people love you. Bless you, buddy. :)
YellowButterScotch
This can be hard. Try meeting more people with a hearing loss and I recommend watching movies with deaf or hard of hearing people. It can make you feel less alone.
Beautifuldreamer98
It's a really hard thing to accept to be honest but sometimes we just have to treasure the things we do have than what we dont.
Anonymous
Everyone has something about them that they are not proud of or are embarrassed about. Embrace it and try to find people or friends who understand.
AKewlListener
Well, it's never really easy to accept a disorder in which you have, but if you have hearing loss, you need to begin to think of methods of ways to live with it. For example learning sign language or begin to read lips. The human nature and well, all livings things adapt to their environment. So if you were to have hearing loss, it's best to not rather mourn over it, but to accept it and find a way in which you can either use it to your advantage or to overcome the obstacle which is in your way. Then again my experience with this specific topic is very feeble and I wish the best of luck to you.
hohwriter726
I am hard of hearing, so I will discuss some of my experiences in this answer. One thing to do is to take an ASL (American Sign Language) class if at all possible. If not, look for ASL resources online. Also, look for any Deaf events in your area. If there are none, go on social media and join some groups for people who are Deaf and/or hard of hearing. Also, do not be afraid to share the fact that you have a hearing loss with others. If you need something repeated or captions on the TV, say so. Be your own advocate. This includes in the work place as well. When I go out with friends, I always try to go somewhere well lit and with minimal background noise (unless I am with friends who know ASL). I also try to sit across from the speaker; I ask for a round table in a restruaunt if I am with a group of people, so I can read everyone's lips. Also, if you use a Cochlear Implant or hearing aids, do not be afraid to wear it. Some people even choose to accessorize theirs with things such as stickers and colored duct tape. There are even companies that sell hearing aid and cochlear implant decorative accessories. Being Deaf does come with it's own sets of challenges, but it also gives you a lot as well. It gives you access to the Deaf community, which is full of so many amazing people. You have motivation for learning a new language and become bilingual (which also looks fantastic on job applications). If you want to talk more about this, feel free to message me and we can set up a chat time. Best of luck.
martypj
Hearing loss can be really challenging, we have lived our whole lives using it as a communication tool without a second thought, losing that can feel isolating and scary. I think a good place to start is to do lots of research on your hearing loss, the resources available to you and the things you can still do without your hearing. Becoming an expert on your ears may help you accept why it has happened and how you can adapt to it, and knowing what opportunities are still out there for you can help you see that having full hearing is not necessary to have fun! I found out through researching that with my hearing loss, I could still hear good bass lines in music, so I started re-discovering a lot of music which was something I had been terrified to lose. I also found a deaf support group in my area that met once a fortnight which really helped me talk about my worries and make friends who had similar problems. The help available will depend on your area, and everyone has different needs, so take some time to become an expert in what is out there for you.
caringMelody1291
You just have to accept that this is you. It’s really hard, believe me. When I started losing my hearing I was so frustrated and angry but now I use it as jokes and other things. I also have a hearing aid now so that helps a lot. I guess you just have to make the best of a “bad” situation. It does get better if you try to focus on the good. Everyone always says to look on the bright side, and it’s hard, but it’s honestly some amazing advice. Just remember all the amazing memories you’ll make in the future.
AaronBurnsXXX
If a person is deaf or has loss of hearing as I am here to listen I will change my approach. I would type everything to them and ask them if they are ok to do the same to me and if they feel comfortable doing that. As long as they can express themselves through the written word and they can understand what I have written we can communicate through typing. Then through typing I can help and support them with any issues they may be going through at that time. If I ever meet them face to face I would try and take someone along with me that can do sign language to help.
imwillingtostay
How do you accept alcoholism? Or losing a limb? Or going blind? We don't get to pick our cards in life. Acceptance is my key to spirituality. And spirituality is my key to acceptance. I try to ground myself in the real and now. I am in recovery for alcoholism. One of the biggest hurdles I've faced is accepting that this is true for the rest of my life. It took me a very long time but with the help of counsellors and friends, I've learned acceptance is the key to a lot of my problems. Without acceptance I feel constant pressure and aggression. Connecting to my higher power and realizing that everything happens exactly how its supposed to. There's a lot of people in our Earth and a lot of us wish we weren't "us" at times. But the reality is we are all uniquely different and are dealt different challenges and its beautiful. Look deep down into the true you and realize life isn't over until you let it.
zaatarHoney
I can personally relate to this. It’s a little terrifying initially because no one is usuallly expecting that to happen. I think the hardest part of accepting it was how it impacts me socially- needing people to repeat themselves and not feeling bad, or not being too shy to say “Hey, I don’t hear very well, can we move somewhere more quiet to talk about this?” Pretending I was hearing at my 100% capacity around others made me feel self-conscious and nervous. Realizing ways that I would be able to compensate and adapt made me feel empowered. It’s totally okay that your hearing is compromised, you are still lovely and there are still many ways to enjoy life. ♡ But, it’s definitely a process. Talking to others about how you feel, being validated and heard, can be more healing than 1,000 effective solutions. ♡ You are never alone.
Mycool2019
I think being deaf shouldn't define a person, everyone is born differently and get unexpected changes in their bodies. Yes you might be curious about hearing if you've been born with it, but you adapt to that lifestyle and try to be positive anyway. And if you suddenly or slowly turn deaf you should still be grateful for when you could hear. And you will know that you family and friends will support you and understand. And if there are issues you can text me or another listener on 7 cups 😁. And remember that there is always hope and I care about you.
Anonymous
Accepting that you are deaf and/or have a hearing loss is a big change. What many people don't know is that the Deaf people have a very welcoming and tightly knit community ready to embrace you with open arms. Not only can you learn sign language, but Deaf people also have their own unique sense of humor, behavior patterns, and even folklore. It may be tough to accept your hearing loss initially, but once you immerse yourself in the Deaf community and develop a sense of Deaf pride, you'll be happy to have found a very unique group of people who will accept you unconditionally!
Anonymous
My Best friend is deaf! I know that’s not me but she has always told me it’s not so much as ‘acceptance’ it’s about loving it for a part of who you are. It can be apart of who you are. A part of a new community too. I have found the deaf/hoh (hard of hearing) community to be one of the kindest/ friendliest there is. For people of all different hearing abilities. Maybe try reaching out to others that are deaf by either using online resources or maybe there’s a group you could join near yourself? I think that will be your best bet
DaveMcGrath
You take the time you need to come to terms with it. It wasn't easy for me to accept, took me years of getting told I couldn't do various jobs before I found one I could do. It frustrated me greatly at first but now I'm content with my life choices. The best I can suggest is you should focus your energy on finding a path that works well for you. If you can't do this go and do that. There is an entire world out there to be explored, you just need to go out and find it.
Celine7e
I think maybe you need to accept the fact that you may never happily accept the hearing loss. And it's part of you, you've managed to carry it with you for a long way, and that's something to be grateful. Sometimes life just sucks. but i believe there must be something beautiful, something you love, something you cherish, and that's the reason why you wanna keep going. I know it's easier said than done, but with effort, you can make your life worth living, you can still accomplish with a little grudges in your mind. You must be a strong man/woman. Best wishes! May the forth be with you!
39Miku
Well, here's my take on it. While I may not have hearing loss, I do understand what it's like to not be able to do something you enjoy. Just remember that this is your reality, it may seem pretty tough, but it's still your reality, and that means you control it. While you may not be able to get your hearing back, you can think of the positives of this, whether it is that you finally don't have to hear that annoying neighbor that is always throwing parties, or that you can always just close your eyes and isolate yourself if you ever need it. I hope that you can get through this, and if you really want to, find a way to help your hearing loss.
Teddy522
Acceptance means that you have acknowledged that you are in pain and have decided not to let it affect you. Many people argue that acceptance is a key aspect of working through psychological pain. Hearing loss can be a difficult concept to accept. You may feel like you are "missing out" or that you "differ" from others. But appreciating the joys of life, and knowing that you can have an enjoyable life without your hearing can help significantly with acceptance. There`s much much more to life than sound. Having a form of hearing loss does not make you any less of a person, and you deserve to accept yourself just as much as you would accept someone else who has hearing loss.
Anonymous
Having a hearing loss can be hard. Much like other aspects of life, you can consider it as a problem to be solved. You have a hearing loss. Think about the things you cannot do or want to do better because of it. For example, you may not be able to communicate as well with a hearing loss. Now a part of the problem is identified. Try not to look at the big picture in this situation, because it can become very overwhelming to do so. You have trouble communicating, in this example. Next, try to think of ways you can do whatever it is you want to do, in other words, solutions to the problem. In the communication example, there are several, including text messaging and sign language. Go through all the reasons you can't accept that you have a hearing loss, and try to identify ways you could accept it.