My parents used to fight a lot. It got very physical at times and I always get very anxious when they even argue a little. How do I start to trust them again?

South Africa

Claudette Pretorius, MA Counselling Psychology

I know how overwhelming it can feel when you're having a tough time. I offer clients a space that is non-judgemental and empathetic whilst navigating these times together.

ThePeachTree
Try to speak to your parents about it when they are alone in separate rooms. Tell them you want to talk to them at the dining table (example: Mom, Dad may I speak with you both at dinner tonight?) Inform them about how you feel and that you are not comfortable with them fighting. Hopefully this helped. ^-^
Anonymous
When starting to trust your parents again, you could try talking to them both individually about why they've been fighting with each other and what always seems to cause it and then once you get an answer, you could try telling them how it's made you feel to show what impact they have put on you from doing this to each other.
Melanie0ilmbhl
you should talk to them about how you feel. every makes mistakes you should learn to trust them again after all they are you parents
SeaBear72
I think communication is the best way forward. Have you tried talking to them and telling them how you feel when you see them argue? Telling them kindly and not when they are arguing, but when they are calm, may get them to think that you are affected by it in a negative way. Would that be acceptable by them, if you told them?
MamaTrinidad
It's best to tell your parents they stress you out. Sometimes, you have to move out the way while they are arguing. But, if they haven't been fighting recently, and it's not as bad as it used to be, you should try to do fun activities with them. It will draw you all closer as a family.
Anonymous
Maybe try to talk to them about how you feel. You could also use a codeword for when you feel anxious when they argue.
Bienrara29
Puedes entablar pequeñas conversaciones con ellos y decirles como te sientes. Pasar tiempo con ellos y demostrarles tu amor.
You can talk to them about how you feel. You can also talk with a trusted adult like a family friend or relative about your feelings. Good Luck