Would you date someone with a disability?

Christina Hussami, MSW, LCSW

Strengths-based, solution-focused therapist focusing on helping clients find life balance and navigating down their own path leading towards overall well-being.

Anonymous
Yes. Absolutely yes. Even if someone has a disability, they are still human, and they still have the qualities that make them as amazing as they are. Everyone's unique, after all, and just because you have a disability doesn't mean that you shouldn't be loved, It simply means that perhaps you need more care, or that you need more help in one department, but it never means that you should overlook someone just because they have a disability. It's not our physical or mental qualities that make us worthy of being loved; it's the things that are within, the beauty and kindness and everything that makes you you. So in short, yes I would, and I don't think that answer will ever change.
almostpeachykeen
If they make me smile, yes. If they give me butterflies in my stomach, yes. If I could see myself falling in love with them, yes. A disability does not tarnish someone's personality and therefore, would not affect my decision to date them. As cheesy as all of it might be, your heart and mind matter more than anything.
LifeIsNotEasyAlone
The short answer is YES! Love has no rules. Simple as that. Disabilities don´t change who you are, If I like your personality and I love your smile then I don´t care if you have a disability or not because that wouldn't matter too me. I love you based on your personality.
BeyondTheInvisible
November 1st, 2017 11:28am
YES, absolutely! This question should not even be asked !! If dating someone has the purpose to have a relationship then being disabled is not an obstacle perse. People often enter relationships without understanding the desires and expectations of their partner. In addition, people are capable of changing as time passes. It is also possible for people to behave in ways that place strain on their partners, At the opposite there are people that can bring pure love to their interactions, people that truly care and make relationships work. Both situations are not linked to their health condition so being disabled has nothing to do with dating.
ElephantTiger1
Yes absolutely!!! They are still a person who is worthy of love and affection. If they make you happy and if you make them happy, then sure date.