Am I allowed to still be in love with my abuser?

Elaine Kish, LMSW

My goal is to treat clients with respect and compassion. I am a supportive, strengths-based therapist with experience in treating mood disorders, grief, and trauma.

Anonymous
February 1st, 2021 1:21pm
This is such a nuanced situation to be in. Your feelings are always valid. However, it might be worth exploring if what you feel is love or a coping mechanism to assuage guilt and societal expectations. If you say they have abused you, you need to first be in a position where that will not happen. Being abused means some vulnerability of yours was exploited and you were taken advantage of. In the outside world, there are laws against people in power forming intimate relationships with the people they have power over. This is to protect vulnerable people from this exact situation. You sound like you would greatly benefit from some distance and perspective on the situation.