Does domestic violence happen in gay/lesbian/bisexual or transgender relationships?

Australia

Catherine Davis, I aim to help you to beat your blues and to feel empowered. Fast and effective psychotherapy.

Therapist

Hello. I'm Catherine. I am a psychotherapist. It's my aim to help you beat your blues and to feel empowered.

Caringheart23
Domestic violence can happen in every type of relationship. There's no specific type that is 'saved' from it. It's sad but that only means to care more about people we love and maybe care more about how they are.
SupportiveSockMonkey
Yes, it can happen anywhere regardless of sex, gender, age or abilities.
SundancerPipeholder
Domestic violence happens in every community not just LGBTQ, domestic violence can happen in any situtation
ProfessorN
Yes, domestic violence occurs in all types of relationships. There are no restrictions on who can and cannot be trapped by domestic violence. Additionally, domestic violence is not gender assigned, meaning that males are not always the abusers, and females are not always the victims. Gender roles can be reversed. In LGBQ relationships, domestic violence is displayed differently, meaning it depends on how each party involves identify themselves (male vs. female). Still, it most definitely occurs and is usually proven to be more fatally. Because in the LGBT community, someone individuals often change their roles (male vs. females) from relationship to relationship, this can make the risk factor for domestic violence increase. Additionally, other factors hiding one's birth sexual gender (i.e., being born a male or female) and identifying as the opposite sex may also lead to domestic violence in the relationship between the parties involved.