How can I stop the images of the traumatic experience from playing and re-playing through my head constantly?

Hannah Caradonna, MSW, RCSW (RCC #11330)

Social Worker

I offer a warm and non-judgmental space for you to work through your problems. I can help you with anxiety, disordered eating, depression, relationship problems and more.

carefreeNarwhal88
These images and thoughts is called flashbacks they happen from that horrible experience you got. All you got to do is go through it and not risist cause resisting would make it worse and could overwhelm you more, also when having it just relax and take slow deep breathes just know it's just a flashback so it won't hurt you/you are not getting hurt at that moment. I also recommend you going to a therapist cause they could help you get better and also get rid of these images. I'm so sorry to know you had a bad experience, stay strong dear! :) I hope it gets better soon
DipityEnigma
They usually play through your head because there's no end; there's no answer to your past that you wish you could have had. As the saying goes "coulda, shoulda, woulda". You can't control what happened but you can control your future. You need to mourn about the past, hold no emotions back. The reason you're having these playing over and over is because you're emotionally attached to the past. You need to learn to let go by talking about what happened and go into great detail if need be. You need to get it all out. It's one thing to be thinking something but saying it out-loud, is a totally different matter. I would suggest going to see a counsellor who would be able to give you advice on self-help such as group therapy. They will also be able to get to the root of the problem. Once you lose your emotional attachments, it will seem like it was just one big nightmare; but it will take time and patience. It won't stop straight away but it will do over time. Good luck and all the best.
Dailydaydreama
By attaching new safe memories to the traumatic ones it let's your brain send two messages to your body and can help balance things out so they are not so overwhelming !
Lieke
This is a tough question because there is no simple answer to it. Traumatic experiences are often best treated by a professional, in combination with the passage of time. Trained professionals can help you to give the trauma a healthy place within yourself. Quick fixes might include distracting yourself, seeking out friends to talk with (or someone else you can trust) and writing down what happened to you. However, these might not give permanent results.
HealingLotus
- Expert in Domestic Violence
Your body and brain are telling you that the trauma needs to be healed. If you want it to stop, then you need to start the healing process.
LuckyDuke
Actively tinker with those experiences. Though it might be scary to confront yourself with terrible occurrences, writing them down, reflecting them or just asking yourself the right questions might do the trick of finally getting over it. Control the traumata, stop it from controlling you.
ChasingInsomnia
This sounds really rough, and I'm sorry you're experiencing that. Personally, when I found that this was happening to me, I decided to seek therapy. However, another thing that helps me is arranging a spot in my room or house that is very different from where the events took place (mine smells like lavender, and is soft) that I can retreat to to know that the events were in the past.
glasseyedgrace
January 23rd, 2022 7:06am
I think I can relate. For me, it would sometimes seem as if someone had a filmstrip stuck on repeat, just playing the horror scenes from my life over, and over. No matter how I tried not to think about it or to keep busy, it was like the only constant in my life. Then I started to write and I wrote about everything. And once a month I would go back and read my entries and slowly but surely, I started to notice that I was actually getting better in small ways. It was like by writing it all down, I was able to get the thoughts out of my head and take their power away. And I didn't have to go through the shame of telling anyone, yet I was still able to vent and get it all out there. Out of all the different techniques suggested to me, the simplest of all, keeping a journal, was the one that had the most impact on me. I am not saying that it will work for everyone, but it could be worth a try. 7 cups is a great place to find so many amazing resources, or just to come and chat with a listener, like myself or hundreds of others. You can even search for a listener based on what they have experience with or what you need in a listener. I really hope that everything gets better for you, just be patient with yourself, and be proud of yourself as well. If you ever need to vent, I would love to chat with you or help you with others resources if that makes you more comfortable. Good luck with your journey, there is some light at the end of this tunnel, I promise you. I had to walk through so much darkness to be able to see the light, it was small but it was there. You deserve to be safe and happy and free of your past, we cannot enjoy anything new if our hands are already full of the old stuff.