I have on off sadness. It got worse when my husband of 31 years hit me and injured my mouth badlyfor the first time. He regrets. Anyone help?

Amanda Wiginton, LMFT

Now is the time to make a change! Professional, empathic, and compassionate therapist waiting to help you make healthy life changes.

Anonymous - Expert in Domestic Violence
Firstly, I am really sorry for what you're going through, just terrible. You said that your husband hit you for the first time after 31 years of marriage. Now, it doesn’t matter how much years you have been married for, abuse should not be accepted. I highly recommend couples therapy for both you and your husband because at no time should physical abuse be accepted or ignored. I know he is your husband and you love him, but please bear in mind that according to a number of studies, once a man has been violent, there's a chance he'll become violent again and maybe even worst so take action now and seek counseling now. Trust me when I tell you, it will not get better without guidance. It would only get worst and God forbid something fatal might happen. if you at any time feel unsafe or fear for your life, you should leave immediately and notify the authorities.
Caringheart23
First of all, I'm sorry you've experienced that. You said it happened for the first time in 31 years which might mean he is going through something, but it is still not acceptable what he did. What if you try to sit and talk about what happened or find a therapist, who can guide you through this? I know it can be difficult, but I'm sure it might help. Of course if it happens again, don't be afraid to ask for help. Hope it will work out well ♥
DelicateButterfly78
I understand that you have been married for 31 years and this is the first time your husband has hit you and I also understand that he is regretting it. You could possibly get some marriage counseling maybe, or you could file a divorce because once they lay their hand on you, it's downhill from there. Look into your self-help guide Surviving Domestic Assult. That will have a first-aid kit for your escape plan.