Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I've been sexually assaulted. What should I do?

27 Answers
Last Updated: 03/31/2020 at 3:55am
1 Tip to Feel Better
United Kingdom
Moderated by

Tara Davis, Doctorate in Counselling Psychology


I have worked successfully with a wide range of difficulties. Nothing is more important than developing a warm, compassionate relationship with someone you can trust

Top Rated Answers
July 28th, 2015 1:29am
First, I would encourage you to take some deep breaths, tell yourself it's not your fault, and evaluate your current needs. Are you physically injured? If so, I would encourage you to go to the hospital. If you are not, I would encourage you to call a support person....whether that is a family member, a friend, or a sexual assault hotline. You can also go to a hospital even if you are not physically hurt--they can provide support for you there and you may speak with the police IF YOU WANT. Above all, keep working on breathing and reminding yourself that it is not your fault.
November 18th, 2014 5:50am
First of all, I'd like to say how sorry I am that someone could do that to you. I know how it feels and it really does hurt someone, to their core. In my situation, I never told anyone, but that made it much worse because it happened on numerous occasions, which inevitably built up to depression. In all honesty, it is your decision as to what you want to do. Just keep your head up high darling, the days do get better. Sending lots of love and hugs your way!
November 6th, 2014 7:26pm
Based on my experience, If it is still affecting you in a very bad way, then I would say to go see someone, a counselor, a therapist, someone like that to get it out of your system and to be able to get through it in a healthy way.
October 8th, 2014 3:04am
Call a sexual assaulted hotline and talk to someone about what happened. Don't keep it to yourself, seek help
October 23rd, 2014 2:43pm
Sexual assault needs to reported right away so that the perpetrator can be caught and justice brought
October 23rd, 2014 11:44pm
The first thing you should do is go to the police. It can be embarrassing and you may not want people to find out, but going to the police gets the rapist off the streets, and away from other victims.
October 24th, 2014 4:47pm
You were the victim of a crime and should resort to the authorities to file a formal statement. Do not proceed against the person directly. It would also be good for you to talk this over with at least one member of your family and/or a close friend to find support. The option of therapy is never too extreme
October 25th, 2014 11:00am
tell the police,give them the details if it is easy for you,or talk to a therapist to lighten up that burden on your chest
November 5th, 2014 10:14am
Assault is a brutal, violent word; the truth can be subtle, and insidious. You must be honest with yourself, and others. The truth means more than what anybody thinks.
November 10th, 2014 11:00am
Try to contact emergency services as soon as possible. If there were any witnesses make sure you know who they are. If it happened in your home, do not touch anything as police forensics will take prints etc. you will need to attend the emergency department and they use what is called a sexual assault kit on you to take samples, photograph your injuries and give you any medication required. Then you will be offered counselling and this is perhaps the most important part. Counselling helps you process what has happened and not let it turn into a post traumatic stress syndrome. Never forgo the counselling or trivialise the event as it will come back and haunt you for ever.
November 15th, 2014 8:18am
I understand that you may be feeling scared or angry or threatened. My first suggestion is to tell someone you trust very much. It doesn't have to be a parent. A friend, a guidance counselor, I've even gone to my minister before :) again, if your comfortable, perhaps you should contact the police. They will be able to help with overcoming trauma as well as ensuring your assaulter is caught.
November 15th, 2014 1:31pm
You should reach out to someone whom you can trust. You should also see a doctor and get examined for any possible STIs, or other things. And most importantly remember that it was not your fault, and you are not alone.
November 15th, 2014 1:56pm
If you have been sexually assaulted I would recommend that the person talk to someone they trust or a Professional and disclose what happened. Additionally, to get checked out by a Physician for STIs and any other health related concerns as a result of the assault. Ideally, contacting the authorities would the best yet every person has to decide if they want to do this and if it's in their best interest.
November 17th, 2014 4:29pm
Don't ignore your problem. Talk to your friends and family. Maybe even a doctor. You're not alone in this.
November 19th, 2014 10:02pm
I believe the best thing to do will be to contact someone you can trust e.g. your parents, and then the police for support, Possibly speak to your doctor :) feel free to chat whenever you want
November 20th, 2014 12:48am
Go to therapy or a group counseling session to relate your experience and subsequent anxiety with others who have been in similar situations.
May 2nd, 2015 8:45am
tell the police, or someone near you that could help. if you are upset about it, or scared about it, probably find someone to talk to too.
June 23rd, 2015 12:37pm
Report it immediately! These things needs to be out, don't feel ashamed it's not your fault! Whoever did this belong behind bars and have his dick cut off as a punishment!
June 29th, 2015 7:08pm
You should contact the cops or a hotline about it. See a professional, it is a very serious issue and you need help resolving it. Good luck.
August 4th, 2015 7:16am
Being sexually assaulted is a very difficult thing to go through. A person can deal with many emotions about what to do or where to turn. One who is in this situation is often scared to tell anyone or embarrassed to let anyone know what happened to them. Some victims feel it may even be their own fault. One should make sure to find the safest place that they can go or turn after an event like this. One may find it difficult to trust anyone during this time which may be even more difficult to seek help afterwards. But its very important to stay strong and to seek your local authorities to report the crime. Because thats what it is, a crime. Even if it was someone you know that violated you, its still a crime and should be reported and punishable. If you feel afraid to do it alone, seek a friend or family member or someone you trust to help you or go with you and to stay by your side. Its also important to seek a healthcare provider for many reasons. Healthcare providers can help you with medical issues and concerns and answer any questions you may have, including directing you towards social workers, therapy and counseling services. These services can help you get back on track faster, to help with your physical and emotional well being. And to help you move forward.
October 26th, 2015 5:50pm
Find someone you can talk to like a friend, family member, counsellor or youth worker. You can also contact an organisation in your state or territory that can give you relevant information on seeking help.
March 28th, 2016 9:05pm
First of all let me tell you that you've been brave to share this. I would also like to tell you that you shouldn't feel worried or scared, and that you shouldn't blame yourself if you're doing so about what happened, because it's not your fault and you didn't deserve any of it! There are a few things that you can do, of course please do check if you are injured and if you are then I would urge you to contact the hospital, you could also get into contact with victim support, the police, they are all there to help you and will support you. But of course that is totally up to you and how comfortable you feel doing so. I hope you get the support you need :)
May 15th, 2016 4:16pm
First thing is to tell someone! Sexual assault is not to be taken lightly, because you have been violated. I would surround myself with people whom I can trust. I hope and pray you are doing okay :)
June 5th, 2016 12:08am
denounce it! don´t be afraid, do it for you and other people
December 12th, 2017 1:05pm
Please et in touch with a couple mature listeners, use the listener filters and o for someone with hiher numbers of reviews, see if they are verified, and ae and listener qualification are two other things you can consider. I don't know if you are considering taking legal action or not. I am not sure if I can recomment it as I don't your situation. But as another human being, I want justice for you. And for that, you need to first focus on heeling. I am happy to chat if you'd like to reach out. :)
January 16th, 2018 7:48pm
You should talk to an adult that you trust about what has happened and then go to the police and report the person. You need to report him so that he is unable to do it to anyone else and make someone else feel the same way that you do now.
March 31st, 2020 3:55am
The best option would be to let someone that you can trust know. Talking about it can always help. If you do not feel comfortable telling someone you know, look to telling someone over the internet or if you are comfortable enough to report it, tell the police about the incident. You do not need to live your life in fear and telling them about it could help with coping. The most important thing is, to be honest with yourself about what happened and do not blame yourself for the situation. Also, remember that you do not stand alone in this, others have faced the same thing you are facing now and have come out. You are stronger than your defeats, believe in yourself and know that you will get through this.