My father in law hit my mother in law in front of my husband (their son) and I. Everyone has forgiven my father in law (the mother, my husband) but I haven't. Am I being too tough?

Amy Justice, BS, MA, LPC

My passion is to help people overcome feeling "stuck" in unhealthy patterns by facilitating real, healthy changes through self-discovery and practical applications.

PhoenixAsh
I can imagine that would've been really upsetting to witness, and it must be tough to see people forgiving your father in law for such an action. If you don't feel ready to forgive him, that's okay - it might take time, it might never happen - follow what feels comfortable for you. Perhaps you could speak to your husband about what you've been feeling about the situation and he might be able to work through your feelings with you.
DelicateButterfly78
Absolutely not! No one should have to deal with being physically assaulted. That is telling you husband it is okay to hit you, which is wrong. Don't worry about being too tough because you're not being too tough.
Anonymous
I think that it depends on whether or not this has happened more than once or in excessiveness. If it has then I think that it's perfectly fine that you haven't forgiven him. If this is the only time this has happened, I understand, although I think that it shouldn't happen again. While you might be acting a bit too tough, I believe that you have every reason too. Forgiveness for something like this can take time, and you should feel free to take all the time you need, as long as it doesn't happen again, then I think that you should get some help.