How can I control my eating when I have impulse control issues?

Jannise McKamey-Bruell, LAPC

I am a nonjudgmental counselor that employs transparency, trust, honesty and integrity in her practice and in the therapeutic relationship.

Kittmousie
I remember to ask myself why I'm hungry. Am I actually just upset about something, or perhaps stressed out? If the deed is already done and I've lost control, remember, tomorrow is a new day! Don't let what you've done control what you can do tomorrow.
Anonymous
Pre-plan meals. That's the only thing that works for me, is to have as strict meal plan and make sure food is available when you're hungry. And plan lots of healthy snacks that you enjoy eating, and make sure it's always around for when you need to eat!
HarvesterOfChrist91
Have a support system, keep healthy food in the home, and have portioned snacks between meals, drink plenty of water
MagnanimousSymphony
The key is distraction. Doing something (something healthy, of course) to keep your mind off of eating works wonders. Take a few days and just good off- binge watch a T.V. Series, start playing a video game, go on a trip with your friends. Just do something out of the ordinary that will require your focus. Then, you won't think about eating until you're actually hungry. Then you just need to be sure not to overeat, and to eat the rights things in the first place. This has worked well for me.
courageousNight27
February 2nd, 2018 4:14am
Of course, there are so many tools that are recommended by the specialists and peers. Only you may know what works best for you: whether it is to take a hot shower, or to put on your comfiest clothes and pour a cup of tea, or to go for a walk. Perhaps, practicing body awareness may be a helpful tool. Also, talking to a friend or learning a new arts & crafts skills. Like knitting! :)
romanticthi3f
I'll try and keep this one short because there's probably a lot that I could say! One of the biggest things is to learn about your impulse control; why is it that you feel you have issues with it? Where did it come from? What triggers it/calms it down? Once you can have that insight about yourself you may find that it helps so much with your eating and even other aspects of your life. The second thing is mindfulness. When we eat we're often 'not here'. Maybe we're thinking of something else, maybe we're watching tv, or we are stressed/upset/angry. So we're taking in this food but might not even be aware of it - the same reason that suddenly the bag of chips are empty?! So learning how to be a little bit more present can be helpful so you're more aware of what you're eating, how you're feeling and finding other strategies to give you that sense of joy/comfort.
Anonymous
try to diet little by little to see where that gets you it could take days or months just try sticking with it
GeorgiB
March 2nd, 2018 2:59pm
Don't keep unhealthy food at home. At all. Have homemade meals that have been already made ready. Don't let yourself get too hungry.
Anonymous
March 22nd, 2018 6:34pm
Set yourself timed targets to eat between so you can be mindful of your eating and how your body feels.
Anonymous
instead of trying to suppress those impulses to eat, try redirecting it to something you can benefit from. Exercise would be an example. Try going for a run/jog next time you feel like you might lose control and compulsively eat. Its all about finding what works for you. Hope this helps!
rezasophiea
Often when we want to gain control our eating habits can have a detrimental effect not to mention or mental health. There are lots of cases of people wanting to gain control therefore start to gain great control over their eating habits. Often this results in eating disorders. We can control these impulses through positive self talk telling ourselves when a negative thought comes flooding in we can say I am in control this does not define me. Meditative practice can also be a great way of dealing with control and getting back into a positive head space. Remember that you are enough and this does not define you.
Anonymous
Eat more vegetables, approximately 50% of your meals l meal's portion, vegetable has low calorie and high fibre, it can help you fill full for a long time. Get some healthy snack, by healthy snack I mean fruits and eat then if you're hungry in between meals. Hope my advice help, meow~ >w
MysticN
Have you ever told yourself 'I will just have a little', then you have a little more and a little more? Add that food to the list of things you cannot have just a little of. Know that if you try to tell yourself 'I will have just a little', then you are lying to yourself. Be aware of these things, its the first step to taking control. That's about as far as I have gotten on the matter personally.
Anonymous
With Impulsive control issues it is hard to make sure you do everything in moderation. If it's about eating, there usually is a deeper feeling as to why they can't stop. Everyone has their own reasons and feelings so don't compare to other people but look at yourself. This might not always be the easiest thing to do, that's why here at 7cups we have listeners who can sometimes help you understand your own feelings and thoughts. A possible solution to uncontrollable eating can be as simple as making sure there is no food to over eat, always buy just what is necessary and plan ahead for what you are going to need and when. If you don't control the amount of food in your home, it is possible to find something you enjoy doing that will distract you from food and from overeating.
minjrose
You could try to drink something. Drink a glass of water or a cup of tea instead everytime you feel the impulse to eat.
Anonymous
Ask yourself before you eat anything: Will this make me healthier? Will this enhance chances of loving longer?
FireFlyKing
Before anyone answers that, you first have to understand that you do have the power inside of you to control your behavior. Commonly people forget this, and this is where the fail. You have to be able to tell yourself you have to do what is right for you and you WILL do what is right for you because you CAN.
Bananya
Plan specific meals and meal times. Place snacks in bowls instead of eating out of the bag. Mindfulness.
Anonymous
Sometimes you might feel out of control or unable to stop when you eat. This may be because you feel deprived or restricted. Perhaps you should think about how you feel when you eat, and consider whether you are actually eating a normal amount of food. If you are struggling with bingeing, perhaps you could talk to a specialist or someone who is more experienced.
Anonymous
Firstly, seek professional help. 7 Cups can only do so much, and professional help will be much more effective. To answer the question, try and eat slightly smaller meals each day. Take out one small thing, or a small amount of something of your meal and not eat it. And then each day, take something else out. Eventually, you will get to a place where you are eating meals that are more “reasonable”.
AmyDroplet
When you're binge eating, you might tell yourself "One won't hurt" and then one turns into two and two turns into twenty. It's hard to control until you realize how much harm it's doing to your body, and even then, it's hard to control. Maybe even harder. What I might suggest is maybe having a healthy snack or not as unhealthy and work from there. Whenever you want to start eating something, reach for that healthy snack you like. Such as almonds or peanuts. They will keep you full and help you from eating a lot. As you start eating healthier, your taste buds may want less amounts of food (they will say "eww, raw broccolli) and then, you might be able to control what you're eating.
murrmaidkitty
Impulse control when it comes to eating is hard to deal with sometimes. You could set out snacks beforehand so when you get hungry you have a specific food to eat, instead of just eating whatever is closest. You can also keep healthy snacks out, which will keep your body and brain more healthy and happy than junk food. Drinking water also helps when it comes to keeping you full. Sometimes, your body thinks it is hungry when it is really just thirsty. The most important thing when it comes to eating is to eat what is just right for your body. Not too much or too little.
TinyboiTrin
I understand avoiding impulsive eating isn’t always possible, although planning daily times meals help if you cannot wait until then get yourself a bag of peanuts/strawberries or something healthy with a glass of water instead of giving into junk food impulse. This helps me on a regular basis because I stress eat. Avoid the candy aisle too, try to forget it exists all together. Try to remember that sugar and impulsive junk consumption will most likely worsen your mood. The most important thing is staying healthy and remembering your diet plan and eating schedule, if you have any medications remember to take those to. If you end up giving into your impulse don’t feel guilty or sad about it, you can try again, it’s okay. Rutiene and plans take time
AshlynnIShere
Eating is a comfort. When nothing goes right, or you feel that you are in the wrong, eating can be there for you. Although it feels good, it’s not healthy. The way you can control them is by eating what you want, but cutting down the portions little by little, until you have a healthy amount. Then, little by little take away any unhealthy things and replace them with healthier things. Healthy foods consist of; fruits, veggies, light meat. It’s also good to get rid of over consuming bad drinks. Do the same thing as what you would do with the food. Cut down the portions little by little, and then start to slowly switch to the better drinks. Healthier drink choices consist of; water, milk (or almond, soy, and lactose free milk), and once in a while smoothies.
Anonymous
Keep in touch with your emotions. Are you eating because you’re hungry or need nutrients, or or you eating to fill an emotional void. For snacking, grab a portion of what you want to eat, move away from the pantry, and eat without distractions. Still hungry? Go get some more, but only if you feel the physical sensation of hunger, not the mental want for food. Stop, breathe, and think. What are other things that can keep you satisfied emotionally. Talking to a loved one? Spending some self care time with just you? Planning a movie night with friends. You deserve fulfillment, and mindless eating isn’t going to provide that. Have a wonderful day.
Anonymous
In my experience, I feel like eating when I have other problems I need to focus on, or other stressors in my life that I don't want to deal with. Some ways to stop impulsively eating might be to start keeping track of when you feel the urge to eat unhealthily, so you can learn your triggers. Then once you figure those out you can tell your family and friends to check in and keep a closer eye on you when they notice you're feeling that way. Another way is to distract yourself, get out of the house and take a walk (or wherever the tempting food is,) or go somewhere where food is not allowed, like the library or church. If nothing else works, you can buy one of those lock boxes with a timer that won't unlock until a certain amount of time has passed.
Anonymous
I have personally experienced this and know how hard this is to control. It will be slightly different for each person but my best advice for you is to take a deep breathe and think about what you are about to do. If you are around people when you feel and impulse coming on, tell someone you can trust so they can help and just be there for you. The main thing to remember thou is, don’t beat yourself up afterwards. You will make some mistakes along the way but just keep trying and take the good with the bad.
Anonymous
When you figure out the secret, let me know. For me, I have to make sure there is no junk food in the house, that it's a monumental effort to go out, buy the stuff, come home, *then* pig out. The best ways to control impulses like that are to stay on track with goals, to keep order in your life in the ways you want, to achieve the goals you have set for yourself. Too often we slip in one area or exhaust ourselves and then find other areas slipping as well, to the point where we wonder how to get out of this hole. One step at a time, and build good habits on top of good habits. Progress, not perfection.
Teddster
First of all you have to remove the temptations from anywhere near you. Don't keep any unhealthy snacks in the house and when you have a craving for something unhealthy, just grab the first fruit that you see in front of you and eat that. I know it sounds hard but I've tried it and it's worked great for me so far. Whenever I get the urge to eat something sweet for example or fast food, I just try to eat something healthy instead as fast as possible. If I am not really hungry, the cravings are not as hard to resist to.
Anonymous
I can understand this issues very well, I am sweet tooth and double boned guy, I would like to say we don't have to cut our eating just trick the mind. 1. Drink more water, it will fill the space before eating. 2.Dont full stomach at once, eat in short intervals like 1-2 hours, make sure the things are digested what we eat before. 3. Control unsaturated fats, eat more fiber, like apples. 4. If you can do some exercise or yoga or pranayam too helps a lot. 5. Have a check on calories, try to reduce some. 6. Fasting is best option. Don't overdo it.