How can I control my eating when I have impulse control issues?

Maryna Svitasheva, PhD. RP

Psychotherapy I provide is based on a dialog and your active intention to look for a solution with the therapist's assistance

peacefulforever333
An eating disorder deals with many control issues. Either eating less where they get a sense of control over their life. overeating where they treat themselves for emotional comfort. Binge eating is associated changes in mood, which help to get the persons mind off adverse event. Over evaluating shape and weight, how you view your appearance, which leads to unhelpful behaviours. Dietary restraint some concerns that does not allow the person to eat. those are a few types where impulse issues occur, and Impulses can't be controlled. As I read there are several ways, routines, exercises to deal with such issue. But for starters I thought one way to deal is with 3 ways. first : monitor yourself...Recording what you eat and weigh your self each week. Second: regular eating...Eating 3 meals and two snacks ( underweight). And eating every four hours... no more than that. Third: writing SMART goals. those three exercises well get a person with impulse started on the track to control their eating habits.
Anonymous
November 21st, 2019 9:10pm
You can try and substitute something else for food. If there is something else you enjoy you can try to replace it with eating. This may take time, but I believe in you. You can do anything you put your mind to. You can eventually try to replace this habit with exercising, yoga, or something beneficial. Your problem may be related to a internal or external conflict. Try to find something to do that's beneficial. You may even find guidance by doing an self reflection. I encourage you to do something today be the best version of you.
heavenEars4852
Sometimes planning out meals from start to finish can help with impulse control. Plan out what food you will eat during the day and set them aside in your refrigerator. It’s important to try o eat healthy ! Write them down so you can stay on track. Then plan out when you will eat your meals. A good schedule for eating is making sure you get nourishment every three hours. It is also worth trying to figure out why you are leaning on eating as a coping mechanism. Are you trying to escape from something or hide some feelings?
Anonymous
When it comes to eating disorders, you have to be very careful. There are 2 types of eating disorders: 1. eating little to nothing at all, 2. or eating to much. Both are equally dangerous for the body, and if you notice sings of either progressing, you should seek professional help immediately. Controlling your eating, is an important part. Try to have at least 3 meals a day, 1 hot one and 2 cold ones. Make sure they are healthy and give you the nutritions your body needs. T
bellarina74
Have you looked at some support groups or enlisting your family and close friends to help you through this difficult time? I'm sure they love you and want the best for you so if you let them know you are experiencing a problem, I am sure they will help you through it. This may seem like a daunting thing to do but remember they love you and they would not want to see you unhappy or facing a state of depression. If it seems too confronting to face all your family then maybe just pick one or two members that you feel closest too and ask them if you can confide in them.
Anonymous
I have experienced that horror of impulsive eating and for me it was a mind thing. I ate because if my mind or mouth said I was I hungry i needed to eat. Not true. A good bit of advice I got from my doctor when I was pregnant(gained over a 100 lbs) is eat when you're hungry but don't eat to get full. This was the easiest way for me to eat better because eventually your body will learn to survive on the smaller portions you're fixing yourself. I hope this helps you be able to make wiser choices when its comes to food.
strawberryamanda1217
When I have impulse issues when it comes to eating, I try to distract myself with other activities. I do yoga in my room or on my porch, go for a run/hike/ or walk, etc. Important food for thought is that during this time we should really work to appreciate nature. If you stay cooped up in your house all day, it will be much harder to resist temptations. Also, you start to get bored of the same scenery, which leads you to only eat because you have nothing else to do. Doing as much as sitting on your porch everyday for an hour can do so much good for your mental stability as well as help you resist temptations.
WabisabiBodhisattva
I, too, have struggled with impulse control and disordered eating. While everybody is different, I personally gained the most benefit from mindfulness and meditation practices. I imagine you've heard that before, and it can lose its appeal when suggested so many times -- especially when you may have tried it before, and it didn't help as much as you thought it would. However, that's the thing about mindfulness meditation -- it takes time to reprogram your brain to sit with the discomfort and allow it to be there, without impulsively acting upon it. Even postponing your binge (if that's what is happening for you) for a short period of time is still progress! Unfortunately, mindfulness is not the "cure" that many wish it was. Instead of curing us of our discomfort, mindfulness simply creates space for it. It's a practice that helps you build resilience, not everlasting peace. Still, it remains highly effective when practiced continuously over time. The trick is to make small goals -- practice sitting quietly and not giving into your impulse for even one or two minutes daily. When you feel ready, increase to 5 minutes, then 10 minutes, and so on. I would suggest trying each length of time for at least one week before increasing it -- that's how you stay true to new habits. May you be well!
LeonZz
I often have similar issues with self-control around food. For me it helps if I simply do not purchase food which I know I should not be eating. This could be called "friction", by increasing friction between yourself and an action you know you should not be performing you reduce how much self-control is required to abstain. If you can not control what food is around you because you live with someone else or for any other reason you could try to instead reduce friction for doing the right thing. This could include making a meal plan, or writing implementation intentions where you describe what you will do when you encounter a specific craving (e.g. "When I am tempted to eat chocolate I will brush my teeth, if I still want it an hour later I'll have a bit").
Anonymous
Impulsive eating is a problem that I sometimes deal with too! I've found that the problem arises the most when I don't eat regular meals. For me, I try to address the problem proactively by eating regular meals everyday. This way, my body feels nourished throughout the day. There are some days when it's more difficult to control eating impulses, so it's important not to be so hard on yourself if you do end up acting on these impulses. Also making sure you're hydrated can help with these issues, too. Sometimes I think I'm hungry, but I really just need some water.
sweetJoy9342
As they say that the first step to anything is realising, take a moment to think about your relationship with food. Do I tend to eat more because i am really hungry or is it because there's something else that's worrying me and binge eating is my response to avoid thinking of that/to make me feel better. Am I aanxiousabout something or maybe am feeling all low and disappointed with myself or others around me. This realisation to what may trigger binge/more eating will give you the space to figure out your reaction the next time it happens. Would drinking a glass of water instead and taking out a minute to breathe in slowly and relax help distract your mind. I am sure that things will get better.
calminglake5213
When you feel an impulse to binge eat, a good solution is to distract yourself with something else for at least 30 mins. When you do this, you are trying to occupy your mind with something else so that eating isn't always on your mind. A way to control the amount you eat while you are eating is to practice mindful eating. When you eat something, make sure it is the only thing you are doing and pay attention to how good the food tastes. Not only will you appreciate your food more, but it will slow you eating impulse down.
talkswithariba
It can be hard to control, though not impossible. Try to indulge yourself in activities you like, like painting, reading or doing arts and crafts. If not that, go out for a walk, as it can help clear up your mind. Also, try eating balanced meals to feel full and satisfied so you don't feel too hungry to not be able to control yourself. Talk to someone like a friend if it's get too hard to handle. If you're still unable to control, don't hesitate to seek help from a therapist. But whatever you do, trust yourself that you can win anything.
hopefulCreature9580
It can be really tough to control eating when you have impulse control issues. It is important to have some self-compassion on yourself if you are feeling impulsive. No one chooses to feel out of control not wants to! It isnt a character flaw or weakness. While we may not always find ourselves perfectly controlling our food intake, baby steps towards healthier choices with food intake is a more sustainable goal than absolute perfection. As a person who has personally experienced impulsive eating, I notice that it can be more challenging if I havent been properly hydrating. In the past I have mistaken thirst signals for hunger signals and now try to be more proactive with drinking fluids throughout the day. Another thing that sometimes helps is a "treat". I know logically that chips arent the most healthful choice, but sometimes I want them- and I want the whole, extra-large sized bag. As a baby step I started choosing to buy the small bag, and not keep massive bags at home. That way I didnt feel intensely deprived, but after eating them I still felt alright and didnt have gross feeling in my stomach. On the days where I definitely was easting way too much food in an obsessive way, I would tell myself after- "wow, you must have been having a really hard time emotionally in order to feel like eating so much." I will now ask myself what type of self care would be best. Do I need a hot bath with some relaxing music? Do I need to go to bed early and rest my body and mind? Did something happen today that triggered me, and perhaps I should chat about it with someone? It is not a behavior that I find shameful any more, it can simply be an indication that I have needs that may not be getting met in another rea of my life.
Anonymous
Limit the "treat" food you have in your home. Another great idea would be to pre-plan meals for the week so everything is precooked; this would limit the opportunity for impulse decision around eating fast food when you are faced with the idea "i have nothing to eat" when you have preplanned meals. You could also create a buddy system, if you feel comfortable, and reach out to a friend when you feel that impulse to eat. Explore internally when you feel that you don't have control over your eating, can you avoid situations where you might be triggered? And finally, be kind to yourself.
Anonymous
Impulse control issues can speead to all parts of your life, not just eating, something that would benefit you in your life, not just with eating would be to exersize daily. Something as small as a routine 20 minute walk can do wonders, late in the day you might feel more in control of your actions. Another thing thats helpful is when you know you might do something unhealthy, is to seperate yourself from the unhealthy habit. For me, I love ice cream. Something I've done to slow myself down is to keep the ice-cream at the back of the fridge, that way I really have to think and work in order to get to the ice-cream, and I might find it is not worth the effort.
SimplySerenity23
If you are having issues controlling your impulse with eating, I would say find ways to distract yourself or wait out the urges. If you start to get those cravings, go for a walk or go talk to a friend, work on an art project or say "I'll wait 5 or 10 more minutes and see how I feel then." Chances are the longer you wait it out, the less you'll be tempted. Also, don't log what you eat because that sets you up for losing control or getting frustrated with logging and you'll go and binge. Trust me, I'm speaking from experience. Just listen to your body and see how your day goes, unless you have health issues regarding your weight and need to lose weight, don't set up a diet for yourself but if you do need to, collaborate with your doctor or talk to a therapist about all of this.
Anonymous
You would have to wait a minute to make it less urging. It goes well also with other ways of relieving stress. Because most of it gets when a person becomes anxious. Allow yourself to have a moment of breath. Within a minute or two you should start to fell more calm and less urge. Also become more aware about the way you most often do it and the consequences like overeating and remorse. Having a moment of break would allow you to understand that your action wouldn't help you at all but make you feel worse and an aware approach would make it easier to find inner strength within yourself...
iloverussell
Most people tend to eat when they are bored or are stressed. If the person is bored, they will find comfort and find themselves occupied in eating. if the person is stressed, they will try to relieve it by eating which releases specific chemicals and hormones from the brain into the body which makes that person feel better and more relaxed. Try occupying yourself if you are bored by walking around the block. Stay out of the kitchen and log your daily food intake. Another trick is that if you fall into the trap of eating when you are bored, is to eat in front of the mirror. if you are stressed try fidgeting with a small object which will keep you from eating.
Anonymous
You can try to ask friends for encouragement, everything takes time to get good at. You could even ask your parents to help keep you committed. It may be difficult to get used to but after a while it will be normal and you will get better. You could also reach out to a therapist within this website to make a plan with you for what comes next. I see that you must be strong because understanding you want to change something is the first step to overcoming any obstacle you face. There are many different group rooms that can help you as well achieve your goal. Best of luck.
Anonymous
It can be difficult to control eating habits when struggling with impulse control. However, we do not have to feel powerless against our food-related impulsivity. There are certain tips we can use in order to strategically circumvent our impulsivity, if we are motivated to change. One such tip is to plan ahead. Try to notice the times when you struggle with impulse control. Often, we struggle when we're tired, hungry, emotional, or have access to food that is tasty, but isn't necessarily the healthiest for us. Noticing patterns in our lack of impulse control helps us plan to avoid those patterns from repeating themselves. For instance, if I know that I'm more likely to binge when I'm exhausted after work and don't have the energy to cook, instead of stopping for fast food on my way home, I can plan ahead by meal prepping on my day off, and then leaving a small bag of dried fruit (or some other snack) in my bag to curb my appetite while heading home, and then, once I get home, I can simply reheat a prepared meal. Another tip is to shop for food online. Some people find it helps to have lots of time to revise their "cart" without the constraints of actually being in the store in person. Shopping online may also help because it may be easier to not have the food physically in front of you while you shop, as that can sway your will and cause you to purchase unhealthy food based on emotion rather than on purpose. A third tip, whether you shop online or in person, is to not bring food into the house that will tempt you or that you are likely to binge on. You can't eat what you don't have, and even if you end up going out for it, you're inconveniencing yourself to the point that it would have to be a deliberate, not impulsive, decision to get that food. Impulse control is much more manageable when you make it easier for yourself to make healthy choices and harder for yourself to make unhealthy ones. In other words, no one makes unhealthy choices because they think it's the best thing for them; people make unhealthy choices because they default to doing what is faster, easier, less work-intensive, more accessible. When you control what is faster, easier, less work-intensive, and more accessible, by planning and preparing, you reclaim that power over impulse control for yourself. Best of luck, you can do it!
alwaysindigo
Coming from someone who used to struggle with this, a good idea is to prepare things is serving sizes and keep them in your fridge/pantry like that. For example, if you have a chocolate bar, consider cutting it into one or two squares per piece and wrapping it in something like plastic wrap, that way you can just take a set amount at a time and not have to resist eating more. Another thing is, try keeping the foods you struggle with in a place that’s kind of a hassle to get to, so when you want more of something you can choose whether it’s worth going to get or not. Drinking infused water is also something I find helpful. I hope this helps, take care 💛
Anonymous
Personally, for me, I like to exercise or take a walk, or even read a good book. Are used to have eating problems, and it has gotten better now that I realize that food is not the only source of happiness, but there are so many other things that will make us just as happy, if not even more. There are so many things out there that are waiting for us to experience. Focusing on something else rather than food will help immensely. Also, even meal prepping will help or planning out what you will eat for the following day.