Is skinny always considered a compliment?

Melissa Hudson, MS Ed, PhD(c), LMFT

I work with clients of diverse backgrounds on a multitude of concerns. My approach is, at times, directive, yet always curious, nonjudgmental, collaborative, and validating.

Anonymous
No, skinny isn't always a compliment. For some people it can be but others who are trying to gain weight after recovering from an eating disorder or who simply dont like their body may find it to be an insult.
Anonymous
Skinny is a word that is often used instead of words like thin, healthier, petite, fit etc. The problem is, society, the media and people in general tend to define body shapes with the usage of words such as fat, thin, big, skinny etc and over time skinny has been seen as a good thing to be, and big as something not as desirable.. But people are more than just what they may look like, and labelling people as thin, skinny, fat or big can cause a lot of problems for people who for whatever reasons are self conscious about their image, who perhaps lack self esteem or have body issues. There are those who are naturally thin, who can eat and eat and yet it makes no difference to their weight. Complimenting someone on their outer appearance ignores their inner beauty. Someone undergoing radiotherapy and chemotherapy was complimented on their weight loss by someone unaware of their illness and treatment and asked them how they had achieved their weight loss which was being seen as admirable. The response given was that of the chemo diet! The person who originally complimented them on being skinny was shocked by the response and realised the stupidity and naivety of their 'compliment'. People also when suffering with depression or grief will often stop eating out of the emotional distress they are in, so would someone knowing that, go onto compliment them on looking skinny, surely the emotional distress someone is in would take precedence over the appearance of that individual. Too many people both male and female have suffered over many years with eating disorders and struggle with their obsession on body image, body anxiety, self image/self esteem issues and some develop body dysmorphia and for some they will resort to cosmetic surgery to correct the defect as they see it. People are not just bodies to be labelled as skinny or fat, they are not just bodies to be looked at, judged, and constantly in need of fixing or changing. Skinny does not always equate to being a compliment even though for those who are trying to lose weight it may be taken as such. Being skinny can sometimes cause a lot of heartache and misery for a lot of people. Perhaps society and people in general could try and work on spending less time defining someone by their body size and more time on recognising an individuals beauty in other ways, compliment people on their achievements, their caring natures, their loving gestures, their hard work professional, their role as mother, father, etc. and be one more person who tries to break the stereotypes of what is currently considered acceptable in terms of body size or as a compliment when this can be so potentially hurtful and harmful.
Anonymous
Skinny is not always considered a compliment like some might say it in a way like oh your so skinny and that your ugly which isn't obviously true but people say it you know
Anonymous
I would say no especially if it's use in a context where the person is worried. If you see skinny always as a compliment you might have an issue
TheSolstafir
Skinny is often used as a compliment, or even an aspiration for some people. However many slimmer people have heard the word skinny used as an insult, often used to make them feel bad about their smaller size. Some people refer to this as 'skinny-shaming'. Maybe it's important to remember that it's not always about the words we use, but how we use them.
Ellie93
No, I used to get this a lot, paired with remarks about how other "body types" are nicer, more "womanly". So no, the best thing you can do is not comment about someone´s weight. Say "you look happy, you look healthy" instead.
Anonymous
People started calling me skinny for as long as I can remember. It wasn't until recently people starting mixing in the word unhealthy with me being skinny and it was then that I realized that maybe being skinny isn't always a compliment.
Anonymous
Honestly, no. People could look at you and say "Oh, she's so skinny!" but throw you glares over their shoulders while walking away because they don't really think you're skinny at all. They could tell you you're skinny and then declare you're anorexic not 5 feet away from you. But at the same time, they could call you skinny and genuinely mean it as a compliment - much like slender or fit. After all, you don't have to have the perfect body to be perfect. You're still you and that's what makes you your own kind of perfect.
Anonymous
No, It's definitely not always a compliment. Sometimes people are worried about you because you are too skinny. You need to find a balance between being bony and being slim because it's not the same thing.
strawberrySoul15
It doesn't really matter if you're skinny or fat. You can be fat and still get compliments from people. What really matters is, if people like your personality.
VioletHope
No, some people say it when they're concerned you have an eating disorder. When I struggled with an eating disorder, people will tell me I was skinny or I had lost weight all the time, but it wasn't a compliment, it was a concerned comment or question.
Anonymous
I think skinny can be a compliment just as fat or curvy or any other body type. We have to stop thinking that being one way is good or bad, and just start loving all bodies.
Andrew1137
This question is a bit touchy. The reason is, whether or not something is a compliment is entirely up to you. If you like being called skinny and consider it a positive trait, you can take it as a compliment. If you don't enjoy being classified as skinny, then it may not be a compliment to you. It is entirely subjective.
FriendlyIcecream99
Most of the time yes, but not all of the time. It's hard to know without the context it was said in. But you by no means have to be skinny to receive compliments
1musicloverever
There's nothing wrong with either being called skinny or even telling someone that. I mean everyone's different and feels different things, so if you feel as though you or someone else might offended, just say they look nice and slim.
wonderfulWillow64
Not always. It's important to remember that different people (and different cultures) have different ideas about the "ideal" body size/shape. What's right for one person may not be right for another.
Anonymous
Skinny is not always a compliment. In North American culture, being thin or skinny is considered ideal and thus most people would take being skinny as a compliment. However, it is possible that someone may call you skinny in such a way to point out that you might be at an unhealthy low weight. For example, at one point in my life I had an eating disorder and was very underweight. My friends frequently told me I was "soooo skinny". While superficially it sounded like a compliment, it was their way of showing concern about my weight loss without being forward and asking if I had a problem.
BooksHugsandTea6370
No, unfortunately. The word "skinny" has been warped and changed rather recently. Now, if or when people call me skinny, I almost *always* question their motives. Are they serious? Are they trying to be kind? Or mean? I'm sure that part of it is I deal with an eating disorder, so others' comments about my body, my weight, etc can be very triggering.
HopefulVoice
No, especially not if you don't eat on purpose or if you are ill or have some deficiency. You may have a normal weight and be unfit or you may be skinny and be very unfit. We all need a balanced diet and some good exercise on a daily basis. People should not starve themselves just to be skinny at the risk of getting sick.
ClimbingForever1
No. Not always. It can be quite harmful and damaging, especially whn talking to an ed sufferer. It is alright if you are speaking to someone who attempted to lose weight, but try not to use it too often x
Anonymous
Only consideration is the one you give it, be bold and state," thank you for the compliment, own how you feel about yourself and what someone else states,really only has the power that you choose to give it,...
lilystarr1
"You're so skinny!" or "You've lost weight!" are phrases that most people think of as a compliment. However, for some people saying these things can do more harm than good, myself included. In my experience, whenever someone would say something to me along those lines, it made me feel vulnerable. My weight and appearance was something that took a lot of time and effort to finally be ok, and someone commenting on it was like rubbing salt on an open wound. I was aware that I had lost weight, but I still didn't see myself as skinny, or at least skinny enough. Hearing someone tell me that I was skinny just further fueled my insecurities.
p3ngu1n
Well, sometimes it's not. Some people really can't stand watching a sknny person. But usually it's not the case. Often they are just jealous and try to hurt you to make feel better about themselves. But don't care about anything they say to hurt you! If you like being skinny, don't you dare changing that because of what other people think! Just enjoy this wonderful life the way you'd like! :)
Anonymous
Depends on who it's from and what the context is. Can also depend on tone of voice, it can mean you look good or you might need help.
karissxx
Not at all. While eating disorders which focus on the positivity of losing weight are such a big part of our society, people struggle with the opposite. Feeling as if they are "too thin" and look unhealthy, wanting to gain weight. There is nothing wrong with being bigger, or being skinnier, but it is important to remember that no body type is perfect, no matter how you look there is likely to be something you are not happy with. To some, being called skinny may be an insult.
vagueShwellcave
"Skinny" generally has positive connotation because people associate skinny with either healthy-thin (fit) or overall small stature (health varies). However, being skinny could also be used to insult by saying that one has little bodily substance (lack of curves or muscles) and is scrawnier than what would be "optimal". Being skinny based on fluctuating numbers is far less important than being healthy inside and out.
Anonymous
skinny has no correlation to beauty ( that does not mean you are not beautiful if you are thin ) i am saying that you can take it as a compliment if you want to
Hawksbill
No way! Skinny is a judgement. Calling someone skinny is body shaming through noticing. People should keep their body shape comments to themselves. Someone else's body is none of their business. Many of us struggle with body image and try very hard to manage our forms. Making body image comments mean you noticed. And many of us don't want to be noticed. So be careful making any body image kinds of comments. Listen and support instead.
Anonymous
Personally, skinny shouldn't be what you want to be. You should aim to be healthy. Health always trumps figure. If you are forcing yourself to be skinny, you need stop and get help. If you aren't, you just need to find how you feel happiest and healthiest.
Anonymous
Depends on what basis the compliment is given. The person can be naturally skinny and healthy at the same time. The person who is an ideal weight by healthy standard and becomes skinny/having lost a lot of weight in a short pace of time cannot be considered healthy and this unreasonable weight goal doesn't bring any benefits in a long term.