Is skinny always considered a compliment?

Melissa Hudson, MS Ed, PhD(c), LMFT

I work with clients of diverse backgrounds on a multitude of concerns. My approach is, at times, directive, yet always curious, nonjudgmental, collaborative, and validating.

Anonymous
Depends on what basis the compliment is given. The person can be naturally skinny and healthy at the same time. The person who is an ideal weight by healthy standard and becomes skinny/having lost a lot of weight in a short pace of time cannot be considered healthy and this unreasonable weight goal doesn't bring any benefits in a long term.
Anonymous
No, skinny is not always considered a compliment, and fat isn't always considered an insult. This is because it's just weight, and weight doesn't define you, and as long as you're healthy, I feel you can be whatever weight you want. You can wear whatever you want, and you an eat whatever you want. Just as long as you're happy, and healthy, then it's all good.
Anonymous
skinny is an objective observation to describe looks along with tall or short. Whether you chose to take it as a compliment is entirely up to you.
patientPineapple6520
to me it is a double edged sword, Ed (my eating disorder) loves it; yet, it stings me because I know I'm not healthy and it means people are paying attention to my body.
Anonymous
No, not always, it just depends on the context. Somebody could say it in a mean way or a kind way. People always find a way to make something mean.
optimisticVision87
That depends on the person its said to, and how it is said. For some people it would be a compliment, but for others they would see it as an insult.
kaylaelliott124
skinny may sometimes be considered a compliment as it is nice to look fit and healthy, but there is line between skinny and malnourished and one must be careful not to cross that line, someone saying you look skinny may be them expressing their concern
rainySong73
I think happy would be a better compliment, Anyone can fit societies idea of beauty but not everyone who is skinny is happy and being skinny isn't going to suddenly solve all your problems. We always find flaws in ourselves even if you think 'if I loose weight I'll be happy' or 'if I had perfect teeth I'd be happy'. It isn't true, we find another flaw to obsess over. To say someone is happy in themselves or that they look confident is a bigger compliment than skinny.
Jedda
No, that depends on the context, tone of voice and situation. Calling you "skinny" might be a way of saying something else including you are not looking well and you are not eating right. .. which you could find insulting. However calling someone "skinny" could be a very good way to wake them up and register your concern that they may not be alright and need help. People with anorexia can lose touch with their own body to the point of lacking insight and awareness to their dangerously low weight. As though they dont even "see it".
Katishereforyou
It depends on how that label makes you feel. Big isn't necessarily a bad thing, most people take it negatively because of their own definition of the word.
sunshineForest73
No, skinny can also translate to unhealthy, mal-nourished, or weak. Sometimes it is positive though.
Anonymous
Skinny isn't associated with a compliment. Skinny is a describing word more than a compliment. "The dog is skinny" whereas a compliment would be "Your dog is not fat nor skinny, it's considered a healthy weight"
Anonymous
It depends on how you feel about it. There are some who don't like to be called that. There are some who do.
shiningGrace80
Skinny isn't considered a compliment most of the time. People make fun of each other by calling them skinny. But that shouldn't affect one.
sweetPeace17
It depends on your mind set. I always had issues with my eating habits and I always found skinny to be an insult despite the fact that I was going out of my way to be thin. However, if you’re naturally skinny then that’s a completely different think. It’s down to how you think and feel about yourself.
QueerChristianTeen2004
No. For those recovering from certain eating disorders it absolutely isn't. And for people trying to gain weight.
Anonymous
Skinny is not always a compliment as too thin can be due to a host of reasons. I personally have suffered with an eating disorder from the age of seven. This was stemmed by insecurities sparked by parents who threatened me at anytime to sending me away to a boarding school. Every time I was out of control the anorexia kicked in. It wasn’t me deciding not to eat it happened as if the condition had a mind of its own. Once you have this it is common for it to continue. Also when I hit puberty it became a problem due to girls comparing each other’s speed and amount of development. Public images do a lot of harm to the body images of young girls. It is a term normally bonded about by larger people. So I wish we could stop using the phrase. However I’m sure if someone has been on a diet for a few months they would be flattered by the words
JudithAsk9
Physical attraction or beauty varies from ones point of view. This also is attributed to cultures and countries. So I think it depends on the personal opinion of each of us.
MissLouise13
No skinny isn't always a compliment, many people suffer from body image issues no matter what size they are, you should refrain from using somebodies size as a compliment instead compliment their features.
Anonymous
No skinny isn't always a compliment, it can be something that is used to hurt someone too
Anonymous
Most of people will think of it as a compliment, but it may not always be, depending on context of the situation. People with eating disorders won't take those "compliments" seriously and it may make them even more self conscious
Anonymous
no, the social media mainstream favors skinny over anything else, and some are naturally thin and feel very self concious when people call them skinny, i have a friend like that, who is petite, and doesnt like to be called skinny.
Anonymous
No. To some people this can be seen as an insult and can lead to them having low self esteem and can also trigger some form of eating disorder.
supportiveKitty48
Skinny is not always a compliment! As someone who has struggled with disordered eating, calling someone skinny is not okay. I either feel like you're lying and calling me fat, or it proves that I look good and should keep losing weight
keepgoing12
Not always, being skinny can be seen as an insult on the same level as fat is used as an insult sometimes. But based on the persons tone, you should be able to tell if it is meant as a compliment or not. If you're not sure, just ask them!
Anonymous
Skinny can be taken in many different ways according to the context. If it was meant in a derogatory way, then no it is not a compliment. But if it was meant in a positive way, then yes, it is a compliment.
MissValeria
No it is not, people tends to use weight as a compliment or as an insult. Depending on what the person believes and their concept of beauty they will tell you skinny or fat as a compliment or trying to offend you, that’s exactly why you shouldn’t care.
bountifulWhisper17
No, skinny is not always considered as a compliment. In some cases, it is. In other cases, someone may be implying that the person is to skinny and may need to gain wait.
Anonymous
Sometimes people say what's on their mind without thinking how their words could affect others. Even if they think it's a compliment (because of their personal opinion or experience), it can be uncomfortable or even harmful for another person.
Anonymous
June 22nd, 2018 2:52am
Everything depends on the way you feel and love your body, being skinny can be healthy or unhealthy but everything depends on the love you give to yourself