Is skinny always considered a compliment?

Melissa Hudson, MS Ed, PhD(c), LMFT

I work with clients of diverse backgrounds on a multitude of concerns. My approach is, at times, directive, yet always curious, nonjudgmental, collaborative, and validating.

NancySV1
No skinny is not always considered a compliment. I have a friend that no matter what she did, she could not gain weight. She was very self conscious about it. One day someone came up to her and said, "Oh how do you stay so skinny!" I saw the look on her face and she looked at me and said, " I wonder how they would feel if I said, I wonder how you stay so fat?" I knew she was hurt. We never know what someone is battling with. I think just complimenting someone on how good they look instead of their weight is always a better choice.
StarrySusan
Not exactly. Usually, people will use it as a compliment, but skinny does not always mean healthy. I know people that have always struggled with weight gain- they developed a lot of bad habits and their weight dropped, despite being healthy before. People noticed and complimented them, but they really weren't healthy at all. It's always important to consider the circumstances around it, because it can go both ways. I've also met people that have struggled with weight gain, and lost it in a healthy and natural way. In that case, I'd say that it would be taken as a compliment.
lyricalLight8242
Certainly depends on the case we are talking about. Most of the time being called "skinny" is positive(meaning looking good). But watch for the tone being used when someone is saying this. It can also in some cases either indicate jealousy(if the person saying it isn't happy with the way their body looks and experience feelings of jealousy) or even worry( if the person in case is way too skinny, maybe underweight). Usually it is the tone that says it all in this kind of situations. Skinny is thin, pretty, means looking good in most cases. Whether it's a compliment or something else, what we think about ourselves and body is what truly matters in the end.
Anonymous
I don't think so, I think you look healthy and well is the compliment. And your face has that happy glow that means as a compliment. I wish people would take care of there health and eat properly with good diet. It's more important that you are happy and healthy. I wish people could see that they are beautiful the way they are. I hope people support each other and always be helpful towards other people, I wish people would be kind to a stranger you never someone is going through alot, and your one act of kindness can change their day. I wish you all the best.
sincerelyyours18
No it isn't. It can trigger some people to lose weight, even tho they are already skinny. I think we live in a world where we compliment each other when we lost some weight, but we never ask why they felt the need to do it. I think we live in a society that makes us want to lose weight, even when it's not needed and that makes me sick thinking about it. We have to start looking after ourselves and accept the bodies we have and empower other bodies, because it's all we have. It is all we have guys.
peacefulforever333
If somebody compliment a person for being skinny, they mean it. But is it in physical sense a compliment, depends on what the person like to be or like to see in others. Maybe they like a certain figure or shape in selves. And does also depend on their and gender. For a young person it is nice to be kind of skinny but for an adult it is better if they are more full. We go back to how the person view things. And being skinny is nice. Some see it as attractive some not. So, it could be a compliment and it could be not. Being skinny could be nice if the person is taking of them selves in everyday and eating balanced food. but if the have a eating disorder, which help them stay skinny, could be hard on themselves. So, it could be a compliment for people who likes it that way. .
peacefullistener22
No there is such thing as skinny shaming The below story is taken from https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/the-womens-blog-with-jane-martinson/2013/aug/05/skinny-shaming-fat-size-appearance: A few years ago when I worked in publishing, we'd gather for weekly commissioning meetings in the boardroom. There would be platters of pastries along the table. A senior colleague – a lovely woman in her 50s – would always urge me, loudly, to have a croissant. She would prod me in the side, in a friendly manner, and say: "Look, she's nothing but skin and bone!" The fact that I was deeply anorexic and that she was overweight is irrelevant. She was drawing attention to my size in a way that would have been unacceptable had I done the same to her. I'm aware I'm skating on thin ice: what could be more irritating than a thin person describing another person as fat? And yet – for a moment – think about how we describe thinness: skinny, angular, emaciated, bony, skeletal, lollipop-head. These terms are batted about in the media quite casually, without the caution we must now use in our references to fat. I happen to find the term "skinny" offensive, but of course that's foolish. You're lucky to be thin, you think, rolling your eyes.
CalVal
November 21st, 2019 9:12am
Not always! There are people who call someone "hey skinny!" with rude intentions just as calling someone "hey fatty!". Rude people will always exist. It take a huge amount of courage to be proud of who you are and ignore those people. Sometimes people will say "Whoah, you look skinnier.." because they notice some changes and their reaction will either be surprised or worried (depends). It's yours to judge! I personally take it as a compliment when people tell me I look skinnier because I've been trying to workout more, but I also take it as a compliment when someone tells me I look chubbier cause I know it's still me and I'm still healthy. People have different body types, prefer different body types, but remember that everyone is beautiful. Don't force yourself to be someone else, and always remember to take care of yourself! Much love!
Tyedyedbutterfly65
For some people it can be but for others it can be insulting or hurtful, depends how it is used when speaking to someone and also not knowing if they have a eating disorder. They could be anorexic , or suffer with bulimia , also some do not have money to eat on so they could be skinny for that reason. It is very hard to know what someone is going through so we want to assume they love being skinny but in reality they are hurting possibly. We have to work on how we speak to others and try to get too know them before we speak because words can hurt even if we mean nothing by our words.
wonderfulSunshine91
December 3rd, 2019 10:46pm
I would never see skinny as a compliment. As someone who volunteers at a hospice I see people literally waste away. It's awful to see. I also associate being skinny with being stressed as at a time in my life when I was very stressed I lost a lot of weight. Now that is not to say that you are not beautiful if you are skinny but it really depends on your perception of what the word means. That's the issue with adjectives, they don't mean the same thing for everyone. However, for me, skinny means emaciated and overly thin.
Anonymous
Being skinny in modern culture is viewed as something that everyone should be. Don’t listen to this culture. Be the shape, size, color, or mood you think fits you. Being skinny should have nothing to do with how you are viewed in society. Be the person you were born to be and never let anyone try to conform you to a certain size. You are beautiful no matter what and should never view yourself as anything less. Let the world know that whatever size you are is a compliment. You are a complement to the world so let the world know it.
Anonymous
It depends, a lot of the time it can be a compliment but sometimes it may be in regards to your health getting worse. How you feel when you get called skinny is an important factor too so try thinking about it. Everyone feels different ways and goes through different things so in some cases skinny may not be a compliment because they feel like they are being lied to and they want to be perfect or they just want someone to notice that they are screaming out for help. This is NOT attention seeking just to clarify. So the answer to your question is no it is not always a compliment, it can be a concern, an insult and so much more
gentleSun78
As meaning of every sentence or phrase depends on situation, also meaining of sentence that you are skinny depends on situation, in which context it was said, in which connotation it was said, by who it was said, where it was said, when it was said and so on. For example, if you are among overweight people who adore being overweight and see being overweight as something desirable, there being skinny wouldn't be considered a compliment but just a remark which can show that you don't fit into their group. If you are among people who value being skinny, above mentioned sentence could be considered a compliment.
treeHugger7
Through my experience, no, although it is most of the time. People can use it to tease you for not being politicly correct enough, or tease you if you are very body-positive. It can also just be served plain. Someone may tell you you are skinny, and need to eat more to be pretty. As someone who has gone through the hell that is anorexia, this happens a lot. It is deliverd more freely then calling someone fat though, no one will frown upon you for saying someone needs to eat more. It is hard to wield the word as a weopon though.