Why can't I eat as much as I used to?

Australia

Raifiel Cyril, Masters in Applied Psychology

Everyone needs a little support from time to time to take the next step. I am here to listen and help you achieve what your heart desires.

Anonymous
Eating habits change over time for a variety of reasons. Someone that used to eat barely anything could suddenly be hungry all the time.
Anonymous
Stress and depression as well as other hardships in life can cause you to lose your appetite. Other factors such as environmental or health conditions as well as other factors such as dieting, again, and sicknesses can also contribute to a change in eating habits
KGibbs99
Sometimes as we start developing our bodies change and you won't eat. Just remember to try eat even if not hungry get 3 meals a day.
Imperfect84
There are a lot of factors that can go into apatite changes. Some possibilities include stress, changes in weight, medications etc,
anotherbrightplace
May 23rd, 2018 11:44am
There could be quite a few reasons for this: has your diet changed in any way? Eating food heavier than usual could mean you're eating lesser. Stress or anxiety might also be decreasing your appetite.
Anonymous
There are many reasons for this. It would require knowing your personal situation; however, I will give some possible answers and hopefully one will help. If you are suffering from depression or another mental illness, one symptoms is loss of appetite. If you are not hungry, you may not eat as much. Being anxious can also make it difficult to eat. If you stopped eating/were restricting, your body may not be able to handle large amounts of food right away. Start slowly but still eat healthily.
Anonymous
It might be stress just making it hard/undesirable to eat food. It has happened to lots of people I talk to, but hopefully decreasing the source of the stress will help you.
enchantingTree95
Well, as you get older, your metabolism slows down, therefore you don't require as much calories as you did as a teenager! This happens due to the fact the you stop growing and around the age of 35 you start losing muscle. .
GuardianAngel77
Beening depressed and sad. Having a eating disorder. Being anxious about things and worry about things.
BlazeMcAdams
it could do with various factors, such as puberty, an illness or a dislike of particular foods. puberty related lack of appetite is normal, but if not dealt with mindfulness can lead to something more complex. a cold or upset stomach might be a reason too. if you see other changes with lack of appetite, a doctor should be consulted. the most normal of all reasons is dislike of certain food that you encounter lately. if an open mindedness to new foods doesnt work, talk to a parent or guardian about food options. if you suspect yourself as developing an eating disorder, it should not be taken lightly
Squidkid1
You may be stressed or worrying about a specific thing. You could also have anxiety about something.
Chrisandrew
Depending on your circumstance you might not be able to eat due to several reasons one being maturity. Maturing as we all do comes with its challenges, one of these challenges is that our metabolism is starting to slow down as we get older. Metabolism one of the components to breaking down what we eat slows down over time for some of us. when this happens the breakdown process that allows us to stay our shape takes longer then it used to when we were younger, therefore we tend to see the weight or what we eat shows on us more then it did before. but this is but a brief description, there can be many other reasons that speaking with your healthcare professional would be able to assist in.
Mibaq
It is totally normal for people that their appetite fluctuates. Sometimes we feel hungrier or not so hungry. Also stomach can grow or shrink so it might be just because your stomach has shrinked. People can experience loss of appetite from many reasons, stress or physical illness for example. Women can even lose their appetite due to hormones, sometimes you may feel hungrier or less hungry depending on your cycle. Remember! if you eat and feel good, I wouldn't stress about it, and if something concerns you then maybe you could talk with someone about it. Parent, school nurse, therapist, friend, i.e.
teardroptea
You can't eat as much as you used to for various reasons. It could include social/mental issues that are present in your life at the moment. If you are feeling sad, it helps to talk to someone about it. If you are feeling stressed, deal with the stress directly or find the source. Stress comes from many factors, which could be from school, home, or any other place. If people bully you for your weight, or have in the past.. don't listen to them. The outside of the person does not matter only the inside. I hope this answered your question. Have a great day!
caringWaves61
There are lots of reasons for that. I personally deal with an eating disorder and have learned to study my hunger cues like Sherlock Holmes. It could be a physical thing. Maybe you aren't using up as much energy as you used to and don't need as much food for fuel. You could be sick and your body is busy fighting the sickness inside. It could be mental. Stress can trigger a loss of appetite. Distraction or overworking yourself can also cause someone to eat less just because they don't think about it. I encourage you to take a step back and think about what is going on in your life right now that might have triggered this or if it just came naturally with a change in your body. The human body is amazing, truly. It tells you what you really need, so listen to it. You might find the answer there.
GregorGeous
January 2nd, 2019 6:34pm
There certainly are different reasons for this specific issue. First of all, the metabolism, which is responsible for how much calories our body requires on a given day, slows down as we grow older. As a result, we can't eat as much as we used to. But there are also mental and emotional aspects that should be considered. Our daily encounters, thoughts, emotions, sensations and moods influence our appetite in different ways. Stressful times at work, having to finish a personal project, or going through a rough time with your family or friends might also suppress your appetite.
Hanaa00
Ohh. I’ve been there. In my personal experience, I think it was stress. But it’s a very tricky situation. Stress can last for a bit longer than we’d expect. It can even turn into something close to anxiety. And being constantly stressed and/or sometimes anxious can affect our eating habits in a long run. It can even cause an eating disorder. In my personal experience, the issue lasted for a couple of years. Good thing was that I acknowledged the risk of anorexia and decided to seek for help before my health was seriously damaged. I’d advise anyone to do the same thing if you find yourself in a similar situation. Reach out for help, contact a licensed professional, find a community that can offer a support system, even here on 7 Cups.
Anonymous
I completely understand how you feel and I understand this can be really frustrating. Maybe you can't eat as much as you used to because there is something bothering you at the moment. Some people when they feel sad, they try to avoid people and stay to their bedroom doing nothing, which means that they do not eat properly. Then, they get used to it and they don't want to eat as much as they used to in the past. A good idea is every day to increase the amount of food you are eating. Moreover, make sure to eat breakfast, lunch, dinner, and lunch.