Why can't I just be like most of the people I see who somehow manage to approach eating more rationally than I do?

Shawn Wilson, LCSW

I provide supportive counseling and psychotherapy. I utilize cognitive-behavioral and solution focused strategies to address client concerns. Personal coaching is available.

awesomeHope
We all face different struggles, eating "rationally" might be easy for some people. But if it's your struggle, that's your struggle. By judging it, you actually put it on a pedestal. Letting it go, makes it a little easier to work through. The people who don't struggle with eating, may struggle with things that are easy for you.
Anonymous
You can, you just need to overcome whatever it is that is keeping you from eating like everyone else
Anonymous
Every one has different bodies different bodies require different things and different rations and such
Anonymous
Because you're not most people. And unfortunately millions are going through the same thing. The main step is to identify the problem, work out some goals and create steps and solutions to get from your current situation to the state of mind you aspire to have.
Anonymous
For me, eating is a way to forget about all of my problems, and to comfort me when I'm sad. A nice big bowl of ice cream, or a bag of chips can really help me when I'm feeling down. Unfortunately, it's a vicious cycle, and the more I'm teased for my weight, the more I eat, and the bigger and heavier I get. Most people I know are skinny and average-sized, and it's hard not to feel enormous next to them. I really try and control my eating habits, but it's very difficult. I've tried replacing eating with another activity that comforts me, but I always seem to end up with a chocolate bar in my hand, mindlessly chewing and taking another bite. It's just so hard.
BooksHugsandTea6370
Honestly, sometimes I wonder this too. I'm not sure of this but I think some research has been done that shows people who struggle with an eating disorder (ED) or ED-like characteristics ... their brains are actually wired differently when it comes to thinking about and choosing and eating foods. That could be part of the answer to your question. I think that's a very good question/topic to talk about with your counselor/therapist. And there's also the ED support sub community here on 7cups :)