Why do I always deny that I have a problem?

Zeina Ghoul, LLPC

I help guide clients to create positive change in a non-judgmental and supportive atmosphere.

Miracle
March 3rd, 2015 1:37pm
There are a number of reasons why you might deny you have a problem and these are unique to you so often you will be the only one who truly knows why. Some fairly common reasons though may be fear, not wanting your identity to become associated with your particular issue, a feeling that others have it 'worse' and that your problem is not 'valid', past experiences - particularly of others not taking you seriously when you have voiced concerns before and possibly an unwillingness to admit to yourself that you have a problem especially if you fall into the camp that believes 'these things always happen to other people'. Sometimes it may also relate to your culture or religion and feelings that 'I shouldn't feel like this' or 'need to be strong'.
FriendlyHelper12
You deny it as you dont want to deal with the problem, you believe that it will go away if you dont think of it. That is wrong, standing up to a problem is the best way to go about it. Fix it and move on.
Aaliyahhhhh
It's in human nature to deny are problems or put them off no matter how big or small they are. Sometimes we just need us time to figure them out and come to terms with them
SleepyCarrot
Sometimes the best way to solve a problem in our minds is to deny that it exists. It's just something that we do naturally. Just like when someone dies, there is always this phase of denial where everything just seems to unreal.
MtHorizon227
Beacuse you don´t want to have to deal with it. Ignoring your problems it´s easier than facing them.
Anonymous
It’s very complicated. Because people are different. Mood disorders vary. And families are as unique as the illnesses themselves.
Anonymous
because i want myself to belive that,and maybe the problem will be gone.i really don;t like people to know i am sad
SilentJade
It's a natural thing to do. No one likes admitting that something is "wrong" with them. I admit it all the time, but in a silly way. If I'm honest with myself, sometimes I hate admitting I have a problem as well. So in all, it's just a natural reaction. Hope this helps. :)
Anonymous
the first way to except something is to underline the problem.....also listen to what as been said to you believe in your self and deal with the problem
RedRose82
Sometimes denial gives you a false sense of hope. Some might believe that ignoring the problem or denying it would make it go away. Unfortunately thats the opposite of what would happen.
Georgia
People deny that they have a problem because it's really scary to think that there is something wrong with you. It's scary to think that you're the one with depression, or an eating disorder, or ADHD or something like that. But that's just because of the stigma barrier. Having a problem doesn't make YOU a problem. Having a mental illness is just like having a physical one, and although it's scary to admit, once you do, you'll be on the right track towards getting better. Stay strong :)
Introvert73
I always deny that I have a problem because I have found it much easier to blame outside forces like people, situations, etc. Then to take a good look at myself and admit that I have a problem and need help
Ceci26
Maybe because you still think you don't have a problem, you avoid it, because you don't want to think about that problem.
Anonymous
The reason for denying that you have a problem may be because that matter is very close to you and maybe something that you what to keep private
30secondstohan
Denial is something that we all do from day to day, in terms of having a problem it's okay to feel this way. I've felt this on several occasions and for a long time all I did was deny that I had a problem but the best thing I ever did was finally accept it so that then you can move on and grow with it to fully understand and know which direction to go to get better :)
avamadueno22
Maybe you don't want to think about it and see if the accusations are true. I mean, if people are assuming things about you that you for sure know isn't true, then that's okay. But if maybe some are pointing things out and you won't take the time to just think if maybe that's true, then just think on it next time.