Why is it that I feel disgusted by eating food?

Shruti Naik, MS in Counselling and Psychotherapy

I'm passionate about providing a non-judgmental & supportive platform to my clients to help them understand & accept themselves & overcome any emotional issues troubling them.

SummerLivn
Well, if you think about it- eating can be disgusting. The process of chewing, swallowing and food going through your intestines is rather gross. BUT- having said that, of course, food is a necessity in life. I had a hard time with that when I was anorexic and I started to picture my food differently. I pictured it as seeds that planted flowers of health in my tummy, and necessary for my health and personal growth. I still have a hard time at restaurants and with food in general, but now I think of it as a vitamin that nourishes my body and makes me healthy. It's perception- and you have to work to change it. It isn't easy, but you CAN do it.
Sunshine009
You probably have associated it to something negative in your life. Whether it be body image, stress, anxiety, or something else, your brain automatically sees food as a negative, not a positive. You could start to reverse this by finding food relating things you enjoy such as cooking a special meal or decorating a cake. Hope this helps you!
beYOUtiful365
You feel disgusted by eating food because you are listening to your ED. He is telling you to eat what HE deems as the right food, and you are giving in. Take control of your own life and fight back against ED. You should never feel disgusted for doing something healthy for your body. Food is fuel. Food is how we live and how we grow. Enjoy it.
Anonymous
Well it depends, if you are self conscious it could Make you feel disgusted because of those issues
SpiritedShaye
Sometimes we feel guilty for eating because we feel as though we are doing the wrong thing by eating. Establishing a healthy relationship with food can sometimes be difficult but with the right support you will find it easier to do this. People are available to talk to you and help you through this. Sometimes we feel bad because we think we are unhealthy or that we are unhappy with our bodies, but it is possible to eat without feeling guilty.
It could be that you have a bad mental picture on food from some bad experience. Its good if you could go to a therapist/counselor to determine what is the reason and help you deal with it.
Raspberrycheesecake
You might feel disgusted by eating food because you could have associated it as something negative in your life. This could be anxiety, stress, body image or self confidence or maybe a trauma! Your brain now thinks of it as something negative and this makes you feel disgusted, which is then projected into the food. This means, you see food in a negative light. You can start to view food as something more positive by seeing it as fuel for your body and by having fuel in your body, you are able to do more things, like cook your favourite meals or even baking or doing a hobby you enjoy to do!