Any ideas for exercises for people who HATE exercise? I don't enjoy physical activity of any sort. and I absolutely detest sweating, like almost to the level where its a phobia. What are some things I can do?

Netherlands

Caroline Middelsdorf, MSc.

I am a warm hearted, patient, calm and open-minded therapist. I am here to dedicate my expertises to my clients and their individual challenges, thoughts and feelings.

Earn
When we talk about exercise, some people may think that exercise means you have to hit the gym, do some high intensity workout, or at least some form of sports activities, that you have to really put your body and muscles to work, to really sweat it out. But exercise does not necessarily have to be like this! The most simple idea behind exercise is just to get your body moving, so there are actually a lot of things and activities you can do as an exercise! It can be something as simple as body movement activities while sitting down (there are a lot of instructions on the internet), or rearranging the books on your shelf, cleaning your room, taking the stairs instead of the elevator, or even take a 20-minutes non-stop brisk walking in an air-conditioned shopping mall! If you haven't been exercising, it can be a challenge to start doing it, but I'm happy that you are looking for ideas to start doing exercise, that shows you are ready to get into the game! Start with something small, something simple that you believe you can do, and move on from there. Also try different kind of activities or if you are ready, different kind of sports, maybe you'll find something that you are good at, that you really like to do and want to keep doing!
delphin
One place to start is making a point of standing up every hour or so during the day. Sitting for extended periods of time can be hard on the body, and simply standing up is beneficial for blood flow. You can add in walking to one end of the room/hall and back to your seat - or light stretching once you're in the habit of getting up every hour or so. If you're looking for something more challenging that doesn't always feel like exercise, here are some ideas: - taking short walks outside (combine it with music, or a game, or photography), - putting on your favourite tune and dancing along (even if in your chair still), - gentle yoga (this can even be done at home. There are some great apps available with gentle stretches to follow - you can make it 15 minutes if you want) - some people like Aqua fitness classes because being in cool water makes it so you don't sweat or don't notice sweating That's about all I can think up right now. Best of luck.
Nasrz8
Think about meeting your school or old friends coincidentally. Would you want them to see you in a bad shape after not seeing you for years ? or you want to see them like " woah he has been really doing great ! look at his body". Another method is: Think about your ex or your crush like they're watching you. imagine what they'd say if you're in a bad shape....or in a good shape.
waiting4wings
Hi There, You may want to consider exercises that are more based on strength training than cardio. Perhaps try something like Yoga or Pilates that get your body moving in a more gentler way. Even a walk in the park counts as exercise, it depends on what you are attempting to achieve.
Indistinctaurora
I would say find some ways to incorporate walking (instead of driving somewhere, walk there, go for a hike on the weekend with friends, take the stairs, etc.) Into your daily routine. Also, yoga. Yoga with Adriene (a YouTube channel) has a lot of videos and advice and playlists that help you find what sort of yoga session you're looking for.
Anonymous
As an exercise phobic I would suggest walking a neighbours dog lol or getting off the bus two stops earlier. Leaving your desk at lunch time for a walk. Swing the arms up high. Raise the heart rate. Dance to a few of you favourite tracks? To name but a few. Enrolee in a salsa group. Things to do that don't feel the burn however do you good. Swimming. Yoga. Pilates.
wonderfulSunshine91
There are many ways to get exercise without realising. For example walk or cycle to places instead of using the car or public transport. Just by doing that can give you little snippets of exercise throughout the day.
dahlia1986
What has worked for me is to just step out my front door and walk. I have a high quality wireless headset (one ear only), and I listen to podcasts or talk on the phone while I walk, and I also have a few people who enjoy walking too and who will walk with me sometimes. In the summer, I go after dark so that it is cooler. I am a person who does not enjoy any kind of exercise, but I do enjoy the connection I feel with the people I talk to on the phone, and I can just keep going and going, sometimes for hours. So even just walking turns into significant activity. And depending on the where you live and the time of year, you may not have to sweat :)